Topic: Best Band that you discovered by accident.

What is the best band you discovered by accident?

You know the one that you would normally never listen to. Maybe your kids were playing something, maybe your parents were playing some of their old LP's or maybe you haeard one of their songs and thought "What is that?"

I will start with two I have recently discovered.

Jamiroquai - Excellent band had heard of them but never listened to them. great music Great lyrics.

The Flying Burrito Brothers - found a cd in a second hand store for £3

So who have you discovered by accident?

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

Re: Best Band that you discovered by accident.

this might sound silly since who i am going to say was a massive star.

I discovered johnny cash by mistake.

I knew a few of his songs but i saw him just as country and western music, which i was wrong to think. He is more of a country folk singer. Iput a cd on in my car not knowing what was on it.
The album was "LIFE"
As soon as I heard it I knew who it was but instead of turning off, I listened to the entire album and I loved it.
This made me look into other johnny cash songs that I never heard of and I am glad.
And for me being into punk rock, rock funk, rock, rock and even more rock and taditional scottishand irish it suprised me i liked this american music so much.
Also I am glad I got introduced to John Prine. fantastic songwriter!!
Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Love. Such a great band and I found them when I was looking on line for info about the Beatles album love. Listen to em sometime they are great.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

I'll admit it publicly...I love evanescence.

My teen son was playing some of their tunes and I rushed out and bought a few albums, plus the live dvd.

I honestly don't know which was more fun, finding a new band that I love or scandalizing my son. (If dad likes it..it must be crap!)

Can't wait to do it to him again....

I stumbled on an album many years ago by a French-Canadian band called 'Sequin'.  All in French of course, so I am generally clueless as to the real meaning of the songs - but marvelous music by a bunch of Quebec hippies.  Still have the album and still listen to it.

Also discovered the Paul Winter Consort in a record store bargain bin - have avidly followed their music ever since.

Record store bargain bins . . . great discoveries to be made.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Way back in 1979 I was in Toronto, Canada and a bunch of us Capers went to a bar to see April Wine. The place was sold out so we ventured off to the bar in the basement of the place and a band from Nova Scotia called Dutch Mason were playing. What a great blues band they were. I purchased all of thier albums over the years and still listen to them today.

Great Thread.... Badeye.

one caper after another

The blue nile from glasgow i found them by total accident but they have some truly great tunes ,they were out in the 1980s i think they had one chart hit called stay, check them out .

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

hi weedjie.

I dunno where in the planet you are but Blue Nile had a hit ( I tihnk their only hit) in the UK charts with Tinsle town in the rain.
I still got the limited edition 7" double single. And I think my mates cousin used to play drums for them. He is now drumming for the bluetones. ( or was last year)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Probably not a well known band, but I quite recently attended a Dirty Pretty Things gig in Glasgow....well...it were a few months ago. One of the support bands was Mando Diao, who I had never heard before. Went straight home and got their album of iTunes and absolutely love 'em.
Same goes for a band I heard last year at a Stiff Little Fingers gig, Blood or Whiskey. Irish music with a Punk element, terrific.

I have my parents and older sisters too thank for my catholic tastes in music, there were so many differing styles of music being played in my house when I was growing up. I was listening to The Who - Tommy when I was about 9 or 10 when all my mates were still listening too the crap in the charts at the time.

My parents got me tuned into 60's, a smattering of Country and Western, some Classical...all sorts. And my sisters got me listening too bands like U2, Big Country, The Smiths, New Order, House music, AC/DC all at an early age.

Diversity in musical tastes is a wonderfull thing I reckon. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.