1 (edited by naolslager 2011-06-10 11:58:03)

Topic: How do you describe yourself (musically)?

How do you (or would you) describe your guitar-playing abilities to others? For example: beginner, lousy, decent, good, expert, professional, etc. And are you being modest?

I humbly describe myself as a beginner but some people think I can play? This is embarrassing because I am just a beginner and really cannot play. The good thing is I LOVE trying!

Re: How do you describe yourself (musically)?

beginner if I had to pick one of the above.  My Dad's been playing since he was a teenager and actually understands a bit of music theory and all... he says, "I'm just a strummer" ... we are no good, but we have fun!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

beginner if I had to pick one of the above.  My Dad's been playing since he was a teenager and actually understands a bit of music theory and all... he says, "I'm just a strummer" ... we are no good, but we have fun!

Nothing wrong with being"just a strummer". It's really the driving rhythm to the song. It's hard to sit around the camp fire and play lead for everyone! Althogh I've got back to playing 4-5 years ago, I still consider myself a beginner. People say I'm very hard on myself. I play in my church band where I feel the other guitar players are light years a head of me. But for me, it's something I love doing and I can see the difference between where I was 5 years ago and now, and thats what keeps me going.

I like to think of myself as somewhere in the middle. I think I'm really good till I hear someone that is!! Even if I could play some lead, I still prefer to play rhythm. You can get into the "groove" and just bang away with what you feel in the beat. Pickers are to picky about being perfect. Strummers just play along and smile.
JV

Devoted.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I can hold my own..  so, a good guitar player perhaps but always trying to improve.  Can't play any lead..  I have tremendous respect for those who can..  but, I can back you up for sure..

I just say that I've had a guitar in my hand since before I can remember.

I consider myself decent.  I am mainly a strummer because I like to play and sing the songs.  That way I don't need others to accompany me to belt out a tune.  I am just learning how to do some of the intros to some songs, which gives the song a better flavor when played.  A couple of intros I am currently learning are Pancho and Lefty and Harvest Moon.  I love playing with others, but find it very important to be able to sing and play by myself.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

"Volume is a perfectly acceptable substitute for talent."

smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Some days I think I'm down the guitar journey a ways.... smile
Then others I think I'm just starting out..  sad

Let me further preface my statement that I am probably more between a beginner and decent.  As far as speed goes, I consider myself to be half fast.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Does fair-to middling mean much to you? Probably not. Sometimes when I'm playing in my own living room I think I'm more middling, but when I go out to play (and listen to others play) I think I'm just fair. Or sometimes just fairly awful. At least I do go out and play in public, which occasionally impresses somebody. And a (musician) friend once introduced me to someone as a "fine musician" - not true, but it was a nice moment...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Good question/thread, btw, mr n!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

14 (edited by naolslager 2011-06-10 19:21:17)

Normtheguitar, I understand "middling" and can occasionally use it in a sentence. See? It is a welcome adjective here.

I'm just trying to put my playing level into perspective. A few years ago golf would intimidate me. You see, I never play unless asked so I end up playing about once a year. And I'm usually frightened I will be the worst player. That has never been the case. In fact, last June I WON a golf tournament not having even picked up a club in over three years. Granted, it was a foursome and there was the issue of accounting for our handicaps but we stayed within the established rules and won the darn thing. And there MAY have been one or two adult beverages involved.

On guitars: I am still a beginner, not a good player, but better than I was and I do seem to show progress albeit slowly. However, I am having a blast and that makes it worthwhile. Maybe an adult beverage might help this too?

I'll have to say that I'm a decent player. Still learning theory and lead but can do as well as my teacher which happens to be myself. I have fun with it either way.

I'm with Pete and Norm on this one. Decent beginner I think. I can play some stuff but still make mistakes. I am giving guitar lessons so I kinda know what's going on.

Naolslager, as long as you're improving and having fun that's all that matters.

Remember, no matter how good you get there is always someone better.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I considered myself as fair until I went to the Clinch Mountain Music Fest a couple of years ago, now I think I'm just fairly awful. Saturday I'll be going down the mountain into Gate City for this years music fest, maybe I will be able to say I've improved a bit by the end of the day. We have a lot of talented musicians in our area, and it's always fun to hang out and listen to them make music. I learn a little bit more each time. Picking up my guitar as the sun sets at the end of the day - well it just don't get any better than that!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

We all get better with time, that's if we practice a lot.  I have gotten much better since I retired and spend more time at it.

i always think that good guitar players just know more tricks than bad or fair ones.

i played "albatross" last week and a guy asked me to play at his birthday bash (for money) as long as i played it at least 4 times....

whether i'm good or bad depends on my mood, how much plactise i've got in lately and if my fingers are tired, or stiff (i'm getting old). i played "black magic woman" one night and got compared to santana! next night i played it like a cat walking across piano strings! go figure?

i bought my first guitar when i was 15, i'm now almost 60, so i've picked up a few tricks. i think i'm a very good rhythm player, and a fair to middling lead player....i get my moments!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Im just a strummer.I always wanted to play rythym and thats what I do.I dont even attempt to be a hero nor do i try.I have played lead parts but I dont care for it.Also im not that good anyways

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

A GUITAR GOD!

Then I wake up and realize just how much I have to learn. I feel like I'm a little better than a beginner. Far, far less that an expert. Best advice I was ever given:

A smart person is a person who realizes and understand what he does not know but is able to seek the knowledge they need to make them better.

Nela

I feel I am an OK beginner. I do rhythm ok and middling lead on the songs I learn. I went to my bro's house a few months ago and we played for awhile. He has played for years off and on. A few weeks later we were all at a family function and I told my bro's wife that my nephew (who is self-taught and a phenomenal guitar player) makes me feel like a noob. she said Eric mentioned that I played well. Made me feel good to hear.

I think decent too good,depends on the song,and how many beers I drink,my fingers start too become rubbery if I have too many beers.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Um... I've been told I'm quite good. I wanna go into a band when I finish school so I practice at least an hour a  day.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

People seem to think I'm a pretty decent player, I'll play rhythm on pretty much anything and I'm more than happy to play lead but after nearly 30 years of trying I still can't play all the lead on Country Boy as Albert plays it.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live