Topic: Metronome

Any of y'all practice with a metronome? How do you use it?

Re: Metronome

Some genius here said "I've never found a metronome that can keep up with me."  Don't recall who, but wise he is.

I don't practice with one enough, and I need to.  I want to start recording with a click track, and I can't do it without the metronome right now.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

That was me and true it is.  Don't use one.  Never have, but I should.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

4 (edited by naolslager 2011-06-10 19:56:15)

I do. I turn the on/off switch to "off", lay it on the shelf and continue playing/practicing.

best practice tool ever invented. can't do without it for serious control

i played in a band with a "real" drummer, i was on bass, and kept getting my fingers rapped during a song for roaming too much and going out of time! he never missed a beat while he was bruising my fingers though...little *%¬><#@!!!!

i dont use a metronome for practise or writing, but mostly for recording my own stuff. trouble is you cant hide your roamings and out of times when you use one. and you cant use half notes for dramatic effect as the M/N keeps constant time so you tend to come back in off beat!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

A necessary tool, I have one, but have never used it. How many of us really need to use one tho? Most of us play songs that we know and love. Since we are so familiar with these songs you would think that we could keep time.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting replies! @ZGuitar, I use it for internal time keeping. I set it really really slow so it only hits once every 4 or more downbeats. I have friends who can play in time with it hitting only once per form (every 12 measure for a blues tune, for example) but my tempo is not nearly that good.

No knowing much, I'd have thought it essential for helping with time keeping.Does anyone use one of the "internet" metronomes(that plays through your computor)How much does a conventional metronome cost?

I just started using a metronome. I'm glad I did! I didn't realize how much I was gradually speeding up as I was playing my songs. If I set the tempo slightly slower than I need it be, when I hit the chord/note on time, it's cool, but it gives me that split second to reach the tougher ones that aren't smooth yet. My friend used to tell me "play slower to play faster."
I also run a small Casio KB through my amp to use the drum tracks. Not only are they a bit more interesting than a straight metronome, but also encourage me to try solo'ing over different rhythms. I have a free program on my computer and also found one for my phone. Type "free metronome" in the browser address field and quite a few should come up. Or a fave music site of yours, often has it under Tools or Resources.

Spent all day in the recording studio putting down some of our older stuff to disk.  The engineer wanted us to run a click track, so we did.  Amazing the difference it made.  It really tightened things up.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Never used one.Gabbytrout has one but it gets no use.Her teacher uses one at her lessons but she will not use hers.I give up telling her to use it

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

What do they actually do and how do they help you?

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I never use one and  have never needed to some are blessed with perfect pitch I have perfect meter all my recordings start with two acoustic guitar tracks in two positions and I overlay the rhythm and bass next and get a good mix to lay the vocals and lead tracks to smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

a metronome is used to keep time, it wont mechanically make your rhythm "in time" you have to follow the beat it lays down. it's basically a clock that (hopefully) doesnt chyme!

they are used in recording studios so that live bands have a constant beat they can follow, so they dont speed up or slow down during the recording process.

rap and electronic artistes who use sequencers etc dont need them as the percussion sounds are mechanical and programed.

having said that....keep music live

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

yep.  Mostly I practice with it by strapping my hands to prevent myself from throwing it out a window. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

lol zurf.