Topic: new strings

what are the sign's to look for that say you need new strings

2 (edited by steelstrings 2011-06-12 10:29:45)

Re: new strings

... When they break? lol

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

When they look dirty and rusty.I have worn them to the point they dont even sustain(One extreme case).One thing.If you see a brand called ROUNDS and they are dirt cheap.WALK AWAY. Bought 3 packs and every one was bad

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

When they don't sound as loud as they used to.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

5 (edited by bluejeep 2011-06-13 19:25:59)

hey plank, get yourself some new strings. I figure if you are asking, your guitar just does'nt sound right to you. The best advice I can give you is - don't buy cheap strings - in the end you get what ya pay for. I suggest you try different brands to find which sounds best to you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

First you notice your guitar has lost certain frequencies and the sound is less brilliant. Then you find strings are playing noticeably flat at the 12th fret. Next you are getting rust on your finger tips. Then they break.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

When your guitar just doesn't sound quite as good as it did for some reason, it is usually the strings.  There are suttle changes in tone.  They don't sound as bright.  That is when I put new strings on.  Getting ready to change one set out any day now.  Maybe today is the day.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

the more you play your strings, the more sweat and dirt collects on them. eventually they lose tone and you cant slide up (or down) the strings so easily. as stated above, they may lose tune and eventually break, though even new strings can  break form over tuning or strumming too hard.

fact is; if you need to ask, then they need changing.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

NEW STRINGS!!! I didn't know they made them!! OMG am I out of it!! LOL

The bass strings will sound dull and the high strings will be much quieter and altogether less vibrant.They will also leave black marks on your fingers from the crud and rust and feel less smooth. If you play regularly most uncoated strings will only be good for a couple weeks to a month according on the chemicals released from your hands.

To Bluejeep, I always buy cheap strings.I go by the gauge the strings start at.10s for electric.11s for acoustic.I cant really tell a difference except for ROUNDS.Im not brand loyal.Thats why I have 3.00 strings on a vintage rickenbacker or my strat.My strings are cheap like me.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I have been using Curt mangan strings.  He used to work for Ernie ball and now has his own company.  I really like them.  That is all I use now.  If you haven't tried them, give them a shot.  And they are among the cheapest priced strings out there.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hi bluejeep,you will lose mostof the bright tone and the strings will most the time need to be tuned more. also you will notice the strings will have a little indent in them if you feel under them where the metal hits the string. If you have oily skin it dulls strings fast and real dry skin will also flake off into the string windings. I try too give my strings a quick wipeoff after I play with a lint free cloth,or commercial stringcleaner. strings are players choice I like D' Aderrios, they are not too expensive, but are good strings just the same.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think some cheap strings are not good enough ,the idea is good to follow for good one,I am going to purchase a new guitar.

Spam Link Removed