1 (edited by mercer 2011-06-17 18:18:17)

Topic: Broken Headstock on an F top

Hi, does anyone have any idea on what glue should be used to repair the headstock on an old arch top that I have just found in a market?
I have heated the headstock and removed it from the guitar, cleaned the old glue off which was animal glue.
It also had two metal plates on it that I don't want to replace.
Cheers.
John.

Re: Broken Headstock on an F top

If you do a search here in the forums for "head stock separation"  you'll see how I repaired mine.  Its still holding together just fine and stays in tune.  I'm pretty sure I used Titebond II but would recommend Titebond III these days.  Some pics of what you're dealing with would be good...

Now available in 5G !

Hi, thanks for your information! I tried before to upload pics, but without success.
I will put them on a site that I have and send you the link.
Perhaps from the photo's you might be able to throw some light on the make.
Cheers.
John.

4 (edited by mercer 2012-01-05 12:06:24)

Photo's removed!

From the pictures it looks as if the head stock is a mortice and tenon type.  I've never seen one of those before. It appears as if the guitar might have fallen over, like mine did, and the glue failed. I'm unsure of the make but I can say it is not a Kay or a Silvertone but may be a Japanese guitar from the 1960's.  I take it there is no label inside the sound holes?

If it were me, I would steam off the original veneer.  Use a steam iron with lots of steam. Lay an old T-shirt/ cloth on top of the veneer.  After  a few minutes, try to separate the veneer with a razor blade, keep applying steam and heat until you can work off the old veneer with razor blade and putty knives.  This step is just for cosmetic reasons and not necessary to repair the guitar.  Some people would want to leave it as original as possible.

Apply plenty of glue to both the headstock and the neck, work it into voids with a paint brush or tooth pick.  clamp the two parts together the best you can. Wipe off glue that oozes out with a damp rag.  Let it sit for at least 24 hours.

While you're waiting for the glue to dry, start shopping for a new veneer for the headstock. There are several luthier shops on line that can provide any kind of wood you can imagine.  Good luck, looks like a fun project.  Keep us posted!

Now available in 5G !

weld it!!!,just joking it sounds like you got some good advice above.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

To: tandm3, the headstock is a solid piece of wood with no veneer, I have managed to sink a 3"inch screw into the headstock,now ready for the glueing process,
I have to wait till Monday for the glue to arrive which is Titebond 111! ( nearly there! ) and all is looking good!
Cheers.
John.
P.S. Good idear about the veneer,I can cut a shape to cover the headstock which will help with the stress that it will take.

8 (edited by mercer 2012-01-04 19:21:35)

Pictures removed.

Nice,  Hows it sounding? It's good that you got rid of the metal plates that were holding it together.

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

Nice,  Hows it sounding? It's good that you got rid of the metal plates that were holding it together.

It sounds not bad, I put electric strings on it! I think maybe better with perhaps acoustics for a warmer sound,what do you think?

Phosphor bronze would make it sound better. If you're worried about the tension on the headstock start with acoustic .010's or .011's. You may find that you eventually move to .012's once you believe the headstock is firmly attached.

Now available in 5G !

12 (edited by mercer 2011-06-26 07:51:42)

tandm3 wrote:

Phosphor bronze would make it sound better. If you're worried about the tension on the headstock start with acoustic .010's or .011's. You may find that you eventually move to .012's once you believe the headstock is firmly attached.

Hi! will put bronze on after I have taken down the action a bit! still feeling unsure about the the join in the headstock.

Cheers.
John.

13 (edited by Luthier Brazil 2011-06-26 17:55:08)

mercer wrote:

Hi, does anyone have any idea on what glue should be used to repair the headstock on an old arch top that I have just found in a market?
I have heated the headstock and removed it from the guitar, cleaned the old glue off which was animal glue.
Cheers.
John.

Hi. I don´t know if you are still searching for this solution. But I hope it helps:

1. Once broken, the surrouding wood along the break is greatly weakened. The fibers integrity are lost. Glue alone will be a temporary solution.
2. A long term repair is done with the installation of a steel rod internally, in both ends of de break.
3. Make 1/4 inch holes in both ends of the broken pieces, depth at least 2 inches.
4. If the neck/headstock is in a flat angle, easyer will be. If not, you need to lightly curve the rod to accomodate the angle.
5. This rod is kept in place with epoxy, is the better fixation solution for confined spaces.
6. The headstock/neck joint should be repaired with wood glue at your preference.
7. Be sure to keep all parts properly clamped for 24 hours before to perform any finishing manouver.

By.

Cesar

mercer wrote:

Hi, here is a link to some photo's! https://picasaweb.google.com/johngilber … directlink

Beautiful guitar! It deserves a neat repair.

Luthier Brazil wrote:
mercer wrote:

Cheers.
John.

Hi. I don´t know if you are still searching for this solution. But I hope it helps:

1. Once broken, the surrouding wood along the break is greatly weakened. The fibers integrity are lost. Glue alone will be a temporary solution.
2. A long term repair is done with the installation of a steel rod internally, in both ends of de break.
3. Make 1/4 inch holes in both ends of the broken pieces, depth at least 2 inches.
4. If the neck/headstock is in a flat angle, easyer will be. If not, you need to lightly curve the rod to accomodate the angle.
5. This rod is kept in place with epoxy, is the better fixation solution for confined spaces.
6. The headstock/neck joint should be repaired with wood glue at your preference.
7. Be sure to keep all parts properly clamped for 24 hours before to perform any finishing manouver.

By.

Cesar

Hi,if you look at the link  I have posted,that's exactly the way I have made the repair!
Many thanks for your info!