Topic: Skiffle Music

Am enjoying my new hobby ukulele.  As an old timer I remember skiffle and think it would be quite easy music for the ukulele.  Can anyone recommend a site or sites that might have music with lyics and chords for any of the following groups {a blast from my distant past].  Vipers Skiffle Group, Chas. McDevitt Skiffle Grroup. Ken Colyer Skiffle Group, Alexis Korner Breakdown Group, Delta Skiffle Group, Wescott Skiffle Group, 2.19 Skiffle Group, Johnney Parker Washboard Band, Avon Cities Skiffle Group, Chris Barber Skiffle Group and Lea Valley Skiffle Group.
There may be others and obviously Lonnie Donegan.  I will keep checking various web sites but have not had much luck so far.  Might be me as am quite  new to ukulele playing and searching the web.
thanks for any help.
skiffmick

Re: Skiffle Music

Hi skiffmick,I could not find any,but they are a constant source of music for the early beatles. Welcome to chordie!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have no money, but I am looking for standard notation sheet music

What exactly is skiffle?

Good question baldguitardude,I do not have a complete answer,I do remember they were very popular in england in the fifties and early sixties,and many of the major bands started as skiffle ie; beatles,stones members etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Check out this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiffle

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Jimmy Paige got his start playing in skiffle bands.  "This Might Get Loud" has some awesome video of him at 14 years old playing in his band.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

8 (edited by ndrewoods 2012-03-18 05:18:45)

skiffmick wrote:

Am enjoying my new hobby ukulele.  As an old timer I remember skiffle and think it would be quite easy music for the ukulele lessons.  Can anyone recommend a site or sites that might have music with lyics and chords for any of the following groups {a blast from my distant past].  Vipers Skiffle Group, Chas. McDevitt Skiffle Grroup. Ken Colyer Skiffle Group, Alexis Korner Breakdown Group, Delta Skiffle Group, Wescott Skiffle Group, 2.19 Skiffle Group, Johnney Parker Washboard Band, Avon Cities Skiffle Group, Chris Barber Skiffle Group and Lea Valley Skiffle Group.
There may be others and obviously Lonnie Donegan.  I will keep checking various web sites but have not had much luck so far.  Might be me as am quite  new to ukulele playing and searching the web.
thanks for any help.
skiffmick

Kudos for you. I will agree with dino, check out the early Beatles songs for skiffle music so that you can learn to practice using their song. You might as well start your own Skiffle group someday smile

cumberland  gap/ don't and many more songs you rock me daddio / worried man blues / railroad steam boat river and canal

As a young boy I remember my Dad had friends who played in skiffle groups. He built a Tea Chest Bass  which he could get a good sound out of it.  At party's sometimes music was made not only with guitars, ukulele  and so on but they would also use things like washboards, spoons. beer flagons to make music. At my Grandparents house on friday nights partys they would sing songs such as What A Mouth and other ones. Here in NZ we had a group in the 70s called Hogsnort Ruperts who played skiffle type music who were a very popular band. They had a few hit song with their own simple  original  good time music in this country. Hogsnorts went a bit electric but if you go on youtube there are some old style skiffle songs done by them.

to me, "skiffle" is a style rather than a kind of music and as such, Chordie is as large a resource for chords and lyrics as can be found.  I think most any song, playable and singable with guitar, ukulele or banjo is a candidate.

Kerry Char baritone uke, Kinnard baritone uke, Kelali baritone uke, Kamaka baritone uke
Burke baritone uke, Martin B51 baritone uke, Primrose baritone uke,
Pono Bn-3-4 tenor guitar, Pono Bn8-1 8string tenor guitar, Republic Hwy49 tenor resonator guitar
Hoyt/Ode custom model33-19t  tenor banjo, Hoyt custom 10"maple baritone banjolele