Topic: Not one of THOSE posts!

I'm mainly a strummer and play for myself. Rock, Folk, Country.
Rosewood or Mahogany back and sides?

Re: Not one of THOSE posts!

Hi nao,little confused is this a question or not?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yes, for an acoustic guitar, what's your preference: Rosewood or Mahogany back and sides?

lyrachord is my favorite back and side material.  Tiger stripe/ fiddle back maple ain't bad either...

Now available in 5G !

Rosewood fan myself.

My next guitar will be Redwood top with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides in an OM size though...

Currently I've got 4 rosewood, 2 maple and only one mahogany back and sided guit... Never really been a big Mahogany fan except for a 00015S for ragtime and blues. I wouldn't have the Mahogany dread I do have if it wasn't burled mahogany with a 60 yr old cedar top to mellow the tone to my liking. But you know, it's all personal prefrence....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The reason I ask is that I've always played mahogany BUT a few days ago I picked up a Rosewood guitar and oh my. I'm processing all this now trying to determine if it was actually "better" or was it just the fact I had a new guitar in my sights: GAS. Every Rosewood I've played since has told me it's the Rosewood.

I own an all-mahogany guitar which should provide all the mahogany sound the law should allow. So I suppose a Rosewood addition is warranted and prudent:)

Heh. My guitar is CRAPPY! It cost $25 at an auction and was probably made in China. At the moment I'm trying to save up for an electric, a really good one.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I really do not know what wood is on my yamaha,but it sounds good and has taken alot of abuse well.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am partial to Rosewood.  It has a deeper sound.  I have three rosewoods.  I may get a Mahogany next if I find the right one.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Rosewood is deeper and has a thump to it.  Mahogany is brighter so you hear more treble tones.  I'll be going for Rosewood next time I buy one.  Though I love my Taylor.

I'm am GASSING for a Rosewood guitar. Very likely to acquire one this week as I have the desire (GAS) and the object of my affection - the new Rosewood specimen. All I lack is the third leg of the nuclear triad: funding. But, alas, this should be corrected by Friday.

Rosewood is a great wood for spruce tops but I've found mahogany to work better if it has a cedar top. The back and side woods need to balance out to get even tones across the body.

Did I say Rosewood? How did I end coming home with a used Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce. It DOES have a rosewood fretboard and bridge.

You wont regret a Seagull S6, I used to own a 15year plus one.  It looked battered but the sound that came out of it was awesome, unfortunately it was just too big for me and it had to go. Lovely guitar.

I LOVE the S6. There is another old S6 mahogany/Cedar available locally. The temptation is killing me but do I need to almost identical S6s even if one  is spruce and the other cedar. I am also considering two S6 Folk models, and well there is the Rustic Jumbo, and possible an SWS dreadnought. Serious GAS! But I love Seagulls despite the pointy headstock.

Try the D15M all Mahogany Martin out. I bought one and I posted a pic of it on this thread.
I kiss this guitar goodnight. It's my first Martin so maybe that's the reason but this guitar plays beautifully and the sound is far better that I expected. The wood is a little softer so
you have to watch the belt buckles etc. It's a dark mahogany dreadnaught and comes with bone nut and saddle and a rose wood bridge and fretboard.
Regards, Flybye

Flybye,
Love the 15 series just cannot afford them. But I have played quite a few. To satisfy my mahogany curiosity I bought an all mahogany Cort L450C NS. VERY similar and somewhere between the 00-15 and 000-15. Solid mahogany top and back with split diamond fretboard markers, dovetail neck joint, Grover open back tuners. With this I am satisfied for now. It cost about 1/5 what a 15M series costs.
Not a Martin I know.
David

You'll enjoy your guitar every bit as much as I like mine. There are some real fine sounding guitars out there to fit every budget and extra dollars you pay doesn't always get you the
best sound.
And another way to put it is, It's the Indian not the arrows.

Regards, Flybye

I purchased a rosewood b/s guitar last week. I love it but don't see it displacing my mahogany guitar(s). There's room for both and, as they say, everyone got something to offer!