1 (edited by 3chordmania 2011-07-09 20:26:40)

Topic: Guitar strings??

Having recently bought a Cort Yorktown semi I am usure which strings are fitted to it.They are not the usual steel type more like a "smooth" steel.i would like to know what sort of strings they are,the guy who sold it to me told me but i have a memory like a goldfish....what was i talking about?....oh and secondly can i change them to traditional steel strings as i'm not that impressed with the sound of them now.Would this improve the sound quality??Or would they not suit this guitar??

Re: Guitar strings??

They are flatwound strings.  I used Gibson flatwound mediums when I had my semi-hollow body electric and they always performed well for me. And yes, you can switch to round wound strings if you like smile  I liked the flats for sliding around the fretboard quietly when amped though.

As to improving the sound quality, It's hard to say...  They could just be old strings but generally flat wound strings seem a little duller in tone to me than round wound strings. It really depends on your whole set up, the sound your looking for, and the genre your covering. I like the flats for blues but round for most everything else.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

THanks for that.Yes they seem alot "faster" to play.I bought the guitar 2 weeks ago  so the strings are brand new.Im trying to play rock n roll(Falsom Prison,Matcbox etc) and not sure whether changing the strings will lend itself more to this type of "sound".I was playing my mates Epiphone Gibson(with steel strings) until I bought the Cort and(although I'm trying not admit it to myseslf) the sound is better.What gauge do you recomend if i decide to change?

Medium lights are pretty common for most folks.  You don't know until you try.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Strings can be tricky. Different guitars will need different kinds of strings depending only upon how they sound and feel to you..  I use about 3 different manufacturers and about 5 different types of strings for the guitars that I have.  It took years for me to figure it out. Hopefully, it won't take you that long. smile

Now available in 5G !

The flatwounds are good for jazzy or blues types because they help produce a different sound so if you like the way it is now stay with them. I use round steel strings from a few different brands and they work fine. I favor Ernie ball slinkys and Dunlop DRs size 10-46of and they sound better for brighter sounding rock styles.

Thanks for this one! This really helped me in so many ways.

How to [url=http://moneypress.org.uk/finance/transfer-money-abroad/]transfer money abroad[/url]. Check this site out.It's all about [url=http://mattsmarketingblog.com]affiliate marketing[/url]&[url=http://moneypress.org.uk/gold/buy-gold/]buying gold[/url].

I like Elixer Nanoweb custom lights (0.011").  I've tried a lot of others but keep going back as they're slippery and seem to last pretty well.  If your guitar is on the bright side (trebles) it also seems to tame those highs just enough.

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

I like Elixer Nanoweb custom lights (0.011").  I've tried a lot of others but keep going back as they're slippery and seem to last pretty well.  If your guitar is on the bright side (trebles) it also seems to tame those highs just enough.

+1 I use Elixer Nano PB Customs on all my Yairis and the same strings in mediums on my S&P's

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Elixer makes a great set for a 5 string guitar. However if you have a G string and like to bang a guitar like I do, I'd suggest almost any other brand (John Pearse especially). I go through Elixer G strings like a Vegas dancer.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Elixer makes a great set for a 5 string guitar. However if you have a G string and like to bang a guitar like I do, I'd suggest almost any other brand (John Pearse especially). I go through Elixer G strings like a Vegas dancer.

LOL. Me and my brother are always making jokes about 'g-strings'. Mine snapped the other day. Had to buy a new one.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Everyone by now has heard my thought on strngs.Whatever is cheapest,as long as it starts with a 10.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

had to restring my 12 string the other day, what a job! Many, many bad words... But its all worth it. You dont realise how dead strings get untill you fit some new ones and a whole new beautiful world opens up!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I hate pricking my fingers on strings. Always happens every time I restring. Leaves me with bloodied fingers and a headache. It's worth it though. smile

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Elixers last me for months.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.