Re: Screaming kids and barking dogs!!

I find it harder and harder to cope with TV advertising as I get older.  I can listen to and enjoy the loudest Rammstein track on my headphones but a vacuous advert using flashing images and chirpy, happy music gets me grabbing for the tv mute button.

And in the end, your only friend is one who's thinking what you're thinking

I learned to sleep in public in college. This may have been my downfall at my first college.

Bunbun, I also developed the skill of being able to catch a "combat" nap on a busy flightline full of fighter jets coming and going.

swansneck wrote:

I find it harder and harder to cope with TV advertising as I get older.  I can listen to and enjoy the loudest Rammstein track on my headphones but a vacuous advert using flashing images and chirpy, happy music gets me grabbing for the tv mute button.

It always seems that the ads are louder than the programme itself. You're sitting down watching your favourite program, it goes to ads and suddenly the TV's blaring in your face. Annoying.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

bunbun wrote:

Last comment: Squeaking of plimsolls? How does a water line on a boat squeak?

Not a plimsole LINE, a pair of plimsoles. Or trainers, sneakers etc. Crazy Brits and their silly words for things........

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

swansneck wrote:

Ah, the blessed remote. How did we ever cope without it. We tape everything and watch it later, skipping all the ads in the process.

Do we as musicians cope less well with annoying sounds? That was my original thought. Seems some do and some don't. No different to anyone else it would appear....

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

I sure don't need ads in my life.......I could cry for the meaningless use of good music to sell toothpaste or something.  But as long as the ORIGINAL atrist gets something out of it..............discuss ?

And in the end, your only friend is one who's thinking what you're thinking

This thread puts me in mind of the UK TV programe "Grumpy old men" where 50 somethings celebs just grumble away at everything in life....
What's scary  for me is I agree with most everything they say  big_smile...
I avoid the News now. I just don't want to know what's  going on in the world it's all hyped media tripe with a slight passing nod to the truth. I guess no change there then but being older just makes me more intolerant to it all.
PS I rather watch the ads...
ark

naolslager wrote:

I learned to sleep in public in college. This may have been my downfall at my first college.

Bunbun, I also developed the skill of being able to catch a "combat" nap on a busy flightline full of fighter jets coming and going.

I was stationed on an aircraft carrier for years.   My rack was directly under the flight deck between the #3 and #4 arresting wires.   I learned to sleep with F-14s and A6's landing, literally, three feet above my head.   Slept like a baby, too.

But in port, if there were welders on board, some dude with a little hammer up there "tap tap tapping" some weld would wake me up in about two seconds.  Used to drive me nuts.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

steelstrings wrote:
swansneck wrote:

It always seems that the ads are louder than the programme itself. You're sitting down watching your favourite program, it goes to ads and suddenly the TV's blaring in your face. Annoying.

It seems that way because the are.  TV ads are highly compressed (as in run through an audio compressor) to give them more apparent volume.  I have a good friend that is an audio engineer in LA, and does a lot of audio work for TV.  I asked him if he was the one responsible for all that compression.  "I smash the $@!& out of that stuff."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]