Topic: Chucked in the deep end.

So I was invited to a braai ( South African version of a barbecue ) last weekend by a neighbor whom I hardly know.Not wanting to be rude I say sure, I will pop over for a while.
So the hour of the braai comes and I arrive at the guy's house.
There were about 20 people there and I didn't know anybody except the owner.
Thinking that this sucks I start preparing my excuse to leave.

Just to make an effort at small talk while I guzzle my beer I ask the dude next to me from where does he know Rupert ( the owner ).O, he says, we play in a band together.
He ( Nico )  plays guitar and Rupert plays drums, the lady in the red sweater plays keyboard.

Cool I say and then like a fool I pipe up, I play guitar too.

Polite smiles from the 3 of them, thats nice they say and we start chatting.

Later after the food has been devoured and we are sitting around the fire Rupert goes inside and returns with a Cort acoustic guitar.Thinking it's time to leave before they make me try play the damn thing I stand up to prepare to leave.Too late - I am trapped.
Nico starts playing and plays very well. Problem is that it is all lead guitar stuff, very showy and technical but the people don't seem impressed.Maybe they have heard it all before.
The guitar is passed to Rupert who plays some nice simple Bob Dylan and the people actually clap when he is done.
The instrument of humiliation is then passed to me. Deep breath and in I go.
I start with Have you ever seen the rain, one of the few songs that I can start and finish.
I recently learned the riffs and think I will do ok.
About halfway through the chorus I am totally shocked to see some people tapping their feet to the rhythm and singing along with me .Trying to be a total pro I don't let the fact that the audience is actually enjoying what I am doing put me off.

I finish the song and people clap, WOW , all the hours put in and sacrifices now seem worth it.
My turn comes around again and I play The House of the Rising Sun and I start enjoying myself, all thoughts of leaving early vanish and new friends made.

Ain't music wonderful.

Jamie R

Re: Chucked in the deep end.

Fantastic Jamie!  I must say, if it weren't for guitar I would never have met some of the great people here at Chordie... Dad and I wouldn't have had some really great bonding moments... and well, I could go on.  Music certainly IS wonderful!  GREAT story and thank you for sharing!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

What a way to make new friends!

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Yeah man!  That's the way to do it.  Well done Jamier. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

What a great story! I think musicians are much harder on ourselves than other people actually are.

All You Need is Love smile

That's the way it generally works after all the fear is gone and we give it a go.  Way to Jamier.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thats a cool thing too happen jamier.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Nice!!! And all you could think about was leaving early, shame on you. big_smile

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you an invite to the next one now. Well done.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It`s amazing what a guitar can do.And it has nothing to do with music.Like a common bond.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Great story. Its always intimidating to play in the company of those that are better guitarists but its all worth while in the end.

Wonderful story Jamie, now you know for sure that you are a good musician and guitarist

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Glad things turned out good. Must have been great people applauding you. No stopping you now, eh?

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

14 (edited by jamier 2011-07-25 11:11:31)

Thanks for the comments guys.
Hopefully it gets easier from now on.

Jamie R

thats cool, very cool