Topic: Favorite dexterity exercises

If anyone has some favorite left-hand (fret hand) exercises, please share.  Links to Youtube especially welcomed.  There are so many out there, it's hard to know which to use and which not.  So if anyone can help to separate the wheat from the chaff, it would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Favorite dexterity exercises

I recently came across one that I physically cannot do. I can sorta get it on the low end of the neck but up at the ninth like the vid says is impossible. My fingers just don't stretch that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvKw4WUXd-Y

I use these two to warm up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCoEgJ5XHoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqZwb0Dv … ure=relmfu

They're simple but my darn pinky needs to be re-taught every time I play. He doesn't listen very well.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Y know what, Zurf, there's a part of Spanish Romance that eludes me every time. If I had longer fingers I would have the whole damn tune nailed by now but my fingers refuse to stretch four frets I need to complete the tune.
Reckon I will just keep on strumming the chords I can reach to other songs and play the Romance tune on my keyboard with a nylon guitar sample loaded (which I have done quite comfortably)
Or else I will play it on my baritone uke when I get it. Might even stick it on YouTube.

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

Zurf wrote:

If anyone has some favorite left-hand (fret hand) exercises, please share.  Links to Youtube especially welcomed.  There are so many out there, it's hard to know which to use and which not.  So if anyone can help to separate the wheat from the chaff, it would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

- Zurf

I don't have any youtube links, however my main left hand exercise is:

Reach into cooler with left hand
Pull out cold bottle of adult beverage
Grasping bottle with left hand, remove bottle cap with twist of right hand
Raise left forearm (bending at elbow), bring bottle to lips
Ingest bottle contents - amount determined by thirst or mood
Repeat

Hope this helps

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

You could always do 50 push ups, balancing on the pinky and forefinger of each hand. Ouch! Hell, back in the day I used to do 100 (and I still can't play Romance!)

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Thanks.

- Zurf

I don't have any youtube links, however my main left hand exercise is:

Reach into cooler with left hand
Pull out cold bottle of adult beverage
Grasping bottle with left hand, remove bottle cap with twist of right hand
Raise left forearm (bending at elbow), bring bottle to lips
Ingest bottle contents - amount determined by thirst or mood
Repeat

Hope this helps

DE

You're a mess.  Now play thet midjit song!

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hey Zurf-
One exercise I give to my students that really helped me goes something like this-
Take a scale, any scale that you are familiar with. I like using the pentatonic or a closed major, but it's sort of irrelevant. Anyway, start playing the first 3 notes of the scale, but instead of continuing, start on the 2nd note, play 3 up, then 3rd, then three up. If was a C major scale, it would go like this-
CDE-DEF-EFG-FGA-GAB-ABC.
You could also do the same with 4 notes, for example CDEF-DEFG- etc.
This is a real finger twister, and will mess up your head the first couple times you try. Keep at it, and once you get the rhythm, this really helps for speed and dexterity.
hope that helps, any problems, let me know.
Mark

Thanks Mark.  I've tried that one and like it.  It forces me to learn the scales better and also builds strength and dexterity.  Three exercises in one! 

- Zurf

yeah man, if you get that like up to like 4-5 notes a second, you'd be rollin....