Topic: Saddle grooves

I was changing strings on my Fender DG8 and noticed that the strings have started to cut grooves into the saddle.  I know my guitar is an inexpensive beginner guitar with a plastic saddle, but then again I'm just a beginner myself.  The strings evidently are not lining up exactly the same each time as there are more than one groove per string.  The e string has three.  I've only had this guitar for 9 months and change strings every month or two.

I'm probably not going to upgrade the saddle as I'm trying to save for a different guitar.  I'm just wondering if this is going to cause me trouble or if it's common.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Re: Saddle grooves

Good question, and I look forward to hearing the answer.  Just an FYI... I did upgrade my saddle recently for a very cheap $15 I was able to grab a Tusq Saddle for my guitar.  I know you're not looking to upgrade, but for $15 it may be worth it!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Common.....real common......no worries. My Yamaha F series did that too shortly after it was new. It's 25 years old now and still finw with all original parts

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

are saddles common( fit and size) to all guitars or do they have individual saddles for each make of guitar?

plank,
You'll need to measure the saddle, length and thickness. Regardless, if you replace it the new saddle will need tweaking to make it fit. This can be done with some sand paper and a little elbow grease. I'm sure someone on YouTube can show you how.

A uncompensated bone blank can be had for about $8. As Mekidsmom says a Tusgue saddle is about $15 and it will be compensated but will need tweaking.
good luck.
dj

Yup, look at the saddle on there now to figure out if you need a compensated saddle or not (if it's striahgt then not, if where the B string sits is off centered then yes)... the Tusq is really easy to sand and if you search around here on Chordie there a few threads that explain what/how to do it... GuitarPix made a video here that should help:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjXMH7Uw8G4 .  You will also get a nicer sustain out of a new and improved saddle vs. the plastic.  As Naolslager said, measure the length and thickness, as you'll get a general idea of size and therefore which one to buy.  I bought my Tusq saddle and bridgepins right on ebay as I couldn't find the right size in stores near me and it was actually a little cheaper than buying local would have been (the local shops would only do the upgrade for me, not sell to me and the idiots at Guitar Center didn't quite know what a "saddle" was, apparently they are ALL electric players in there).  I was "scared" of bone because my saddle is compensated and I wasn't quite sure if I NEEDED a compensated saddle and if so how I would make one out of bone without screwing up.  That may not be the case, or  you may be a bit handier than I!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The Tusq saddles are a piece of cake.  They come with instructions for replacing.  The one thing I would stress to you is to sand on a flat surface.  I laid the sandpaper down on a board and then was careful to drag the saddle acrosss the sandpaper upright.  I checked every few strokes to be sure it was still square on the bottom.  I got much better sound out of Ol' Reliable with a Tusq saddle. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm just not going to worry about this for now.  MKM, I appreciate the advice on the saddle.  If the money for a new guitar doesn't accumulate fast enough I might take that option.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about rhythms in Cowboy songs ..........................

As several have already said, its pretty easy to replace your old saddle if it needs to be done.  I've got a bone saddle on one acoustic, buffalo horn on another and tusq on a third.  If you ever install an under-saddle pickup you'll also need to shave some material off the bottom of the saddle to lower the strings back down.

If its not currently causing a problem though, I wouldn't worry about it.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs