Topic: A "Key" Question

I know little about music theory but here goes. For Strumming, does the first chord coincide with the "key" of the song. That's what I conclude from watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jd_T_JX … ture=feedf

I don't need a lengthy theory lesson as I'm pretty sure I will not understand it.

Re: A "Key" Question

Lots of times a song will begin on the tonic. That's not always true though. Lots of songs also start on the relative minor, the IV or the V. Examples:

What's Your Name by Skynyrd - guitar riff starts on the bIII, resolving to the IV.
Wild Horses starts on the iii if I remember correctly.
Mr Jones (by Counting Crows) starts on the relative minor (vi) chord.

I would put more faith in the ending chord than the 1st chord of the song. Also, if you know the chord progerssions you can figure it out.

nela

I agree w/ NELA go with the ending chord 99% of the time.

Wow, I'm more ignorant than I thought. Maybe I'll just play what sounds good and forget about the theory...for now.

I share NELA's opinion, the final chord played is usually the feeling of satisfaction and resolution that comes from ending on the key (main chord).  Chords that begin the song or piece may not be the main chord, and they build musical suspense, so that a listener (or the player) eventually feels satisfied by the chord at the end.

Live to play, play to live!

I recommend the music theory forum right here on Chordie.  Jerome Oneill and Russell Harding never cease to impress me with how they can make the complex and surreal seem approachable.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude