Topic: Your guitar hero?

Discovered an amazing guitar player a few months back. Peppino d'agostino. Simply amazing guitar playing. Close to the Heart is a terrific album. Check him out on YouTube as well.

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

Re: Your guitar hero?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have several but we caught Jim Stafford's show in Branson,Mo. and what a performer! So audience friendly. A very talented musician and a very funny man. Here is a picture of me and him taken by my wife during intermission.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/crazyoldcoot/AL__JIM_S.jpg

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Good picture deadstring!  My favorite players are Eric clapton,buddy guy, Mark Knoffler (dire straits) and Keith Richards

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Mine are folks with whom I've shared a campfire and some music. 

I've said it before that it was Bo Crowder who gave me the excuse and desire to start playing, Dirty Ed who gave me the encouragement as I learned, and Gary Owens (a good friend who doesn't come on here) who gave me some early lessons and additional encouragement. 

Without those three, I'd not be playing.  I owe each them a tremendous debt of gratitude.

And now I have to add Normtheguitar to the list of inspirations as he has made me rethink doing covers and has challenged me to improve. 

Those are my favorite players. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have to say it was Woody and Arlo Guthrie who gave me the inspiration to play guitar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Guitar legends like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are some of my favorites. As well as Tommy Emmanuel and Keith Urban.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Zurf wrote:

Mine are folks with whom I've shared a campfire and some music. 

I've said it before that it was Bo Crowder who gave me the excuse and desire to start playing, Dirty Ed who gave me the encouragement as I learned, and Gary Owens (a good friend who doesn't come on here) who gave me some early lessons and additional encouragement. 

Without those three, I'd not be playing.  I owe each them a tremendous debt of gratitude.

And now I have to add Normtheguitar to the list of inspirations as he has made me rethink doing covers and has challenged me to improve. 

Those are my favorite players. 

- Zurf

I MUST agree with you Zurf!

It was my Dad that taught me to love the sound and sing along quality of guitar, and his lack of playing recently that caused me to want to continue on the campfire tradition of having a guitar around. 

Russell Harding is amazing... what he can do with only some chords in front of him is AMAZING!

Each person I've personally met and heard play has caused me reason to think and want to listen more to each of their unique styles from that one guy that one day in the bar, to the group at the July Jam.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

9 (edited by Johnny K 2011-07-31 23:06:08)

Recently I discovered a fine flexible, expressive guitar player (who died in 2010) who played much acoustic lead with Daryl Hall on the webcast show "Live from Daryl's House," and he was Tom Wolk aka T-Bone.  He played Gibson Hummingbirds and Taylor acoustic-electrics. 
Many minutes I've wasted in consideration of what strings he played - that I could see him play - to account for his flexibility, movement, facility, dexterity; they look and sound like extra-light gauge, plus he gets a very nice plugged-in guitar tone and affects it a bit electrically with chorus or reverb.  Usually acoustic tones and great guitar essence he used, but what dexterity and a fast mind he had. 
Tom Wolk seemed a great guitar player I would have enjoyed sitting and picking with around *the campfire*!

Live to play, play to live!

Technical prowess aside, my earliest serious inspiration came from Willie Nelson's mellow acoustic fingerpicking style. I tend to value creativity above technical precision.

All You Need is Love smile

Mainly, for me - guys I grew up listening to and watching here in the UK.  Mick Green (who I was lucky enough to get to know pretty well as a result of helping to run the Pirates' web-site and promotion), Tony McPhee and Wilko Johnson.  Latterly, I've gotten heavily into Richard Thompson and may I also add the genius of Jake Thackray

And in the end, your only friend is one who's thinking what you're thinking

Danny Kortchmar (kootch)-He got me to love playing rythym guitar.!st my abilities are so limited that I cant handle lead.Mainly a strummer.An article about him in guitar player magazine in 1983 changed my whole outlook.He said "someone has to play the song"Those 6 words made me love playing even more.To accept my limitations and work on my strengths.Sometimes all it takes is a short quote to change your outlook forever.If I didnt buy that magazine back then,who knows

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

James Taylor

14 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-08-02 23:02:07)

If you read the credit`s on the sweet baby james album,you will find Danny Kootch Kortchmar`s name on there.Also on Don Henleys I cant stand still album.Amongst many.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Well, there's that guy in my avatar; that's Django Rheinhardt.  Unknown Hinson is right up there as well.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Had the pleasure last evening to see an outstanding guitar player...  saw Gillian Welch along with her sidekick, Dave Rawlings..  this guy is an amazing flatpicker.. along with his 1935 Epiphone Olympic archtop guitar - simply outstanding.  And the venue, The Strathmore Music Hall in Bethesda Maryland..  wow.. a great evening of some great music..  So, today - my  guitar hero is Dave Rawlings...  keep strummin'
Deb

HannahBeth wrote:

Technical prowess aside, my earliest serious inspiration came from Willie Nelson's mellow acoustic fingerpicking style. I tend to value creativity above technical precision.

+1 on Willie....tastiest solos!!!! His Rainbow Connections solo is one of m y all time favs!!
And I'd add David Gilmour to that list too. Sometimes what you don't play is as important as what you do play. Listen to Pink Floyd's Animals or Wish You Were Here albums for some truly awesome uses of notes and silence.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

This is an awful joke dguyton,but the temptation is too strong to resist.Either way,if anyone deserves a hand, its Django. Oh i am gonna burn for that one.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Blasphemy!  ;-)

To tell the truth, I think he did pretty well with one and a half.  If he'd had both, no one would ever be able to keep up!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

that is true.I have a hard enough time with two.Like I said it was an awful joke but I couldnt resist

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Albert Lee, not only a guitar genius, but a great piano player and an all round nice bloke.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

22 (edited by patrickjacques 2011-08-14 17:21:02)

FastLane wrote:

Discovered an amazing guitar player a few months back. Peppino d'agostino. Simply amazing guitar playing. Close to the Heart is a terrific album. Check him out on YouTube as well.

this guy peppino was in town a few years ago at the montreal jazz festival and for whatever reason palayed a concert at a local music school. apperently it had to do with something in reguards to godin guitars, some big wig from the company told a story of how they hooked up with peppino when they started off in the buisness in california dealing out of a hotel room. any way if you notice all his guitars are godins. anyway I had never heard of this guy before. it was just by chance that I went to see him. there were only about 25 people in the audiance. I could not comprehend how someone would go about studying  to become that advanced. I have been playing for close to 30 years and the stuff he was playng made me feel like I knew nothing. I was very impressed, although for me he is just a little to complicating. dont get me wrong, I really did enjoy the show . saying this guy is amazing is an understatement

in reguards to my (favorite) guitar hereos they seem to change depending on what I am practicing at the time, right now its Brian  Setzer  I beleive a lot of people dont realize just how good of a guitarist he is

what a long strange trip it's been

Classical:
Andres Segovia, the maestro
Ana Vidovic
Narciso Yepes
Julian Bream

Others:
Chris Smither
Bob Log III
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Andy McKee
James Hetfield
Martin Taylor
Roy Zimmerman (no, not the other Zimmerman)
Newton Faulkner
Eric Roche
Mason Williams
Tommy Emmanuel

I have also been listening to the great composer and diverse player Al Di Meola recently. There was a great quote of his in Total Guitar magazine: "Shredding is a bull**** term for not saying anything"

Gary Moore is epic. If you haven't listened to him, you should.

R.I.P. Gary.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Mark Knopfler, formely of Dire Straits,  fantastic guitar player, essentially a finger picking player, unique in style and sound, some dont like Dire Straits songs but they arent usually guitarists themselves so it really is an appreciating thing of perfect guitar solos. I quite like Chris Rea too..