Topic: is 60 past it?

I was 60 last Saturday, and as a treat my wife took me to Liverpool as a surprise to visit all the Beatles places I'd like to have seen 40 years ago. This came to me as I was pondering those 3 days, and the fact that I can't now do all the things I would have liked to have done.

Is sixty past it?                         Phill Williams.

I have been every age, from naught to sixty.
I've felt my powers grow, and now I feel them fade.
I wasted my youth on many childish things.
On many stupid boyish things.
On things that make me close my eyes and shake my head.

I was never the wisest of my brood.
Never the smartest in my school.
Never the best at the things I was good.
Never that good at the things I was good.

So I sit here aching and wondering why...
I let all those opportunities pass me by?
“I'll get the next bus.
“Have my last Rollo.
“Take my seat I'll stand.
“Let me hold the door...

Please and thank-you were always my way.
Polite and courteous, stand back and smile, tote that barge, lift that bale.
I can only insult, if it sounds like a joke.
Why cant I be a pig like everyone I know?

So my best years are past.
I walk now, and creak.
I wobble when I stand.
And I sleep between pee's.

All the music I loved has been stacked wall to floor.
Someone came 'round and locked tight the door.
All the music is gone, is that boom-boom a tune?
Sixty's not past it, it's just old to you.

I'll be around a long time yet!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by bensonp 2011-08-02 23:19:06)

Re: is 60 past it?

That's good Phill.  I like it.  I am also 60 and I feel as if that applies to me as well.   Probably applies to a lot of us.  We've been to hell and back and yet somehow we are just getting started.  Hang in there my friend.  Lets carry on our music for another couple of decades.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Phil be proud of it,you are a survivor!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Phill, perhaps you are not past your best, perhaps the best is yet to come.
You are certainly very helpful and insightful here on Chordie,as I am sure you are in the "Real World".

I am only 29 but I can relate to what you are saying in this poem.
There are many things that I have done that I now look back on and think to myself, what the heck was I thinking.

Thanks for a good one.

Jamie R

Phil, next month I'll be 70. I keep thinking I'm over the hill but things keep popping up that I still enjoy doing.
I got caught in a sudden rain on my motorcycle yesterday. As long as my speed was less that 45MPH the rain drops didn't hurt. It was such a hot day I enjoyed getting soaked.
I played a surprise lunch gig at a local eatery. I got to play out my music jones and got paid, tipped and fed. Loved that.
i huff and puff but I can still crawl about on my sailboat and make it go when the breeze blows.
I keep thinking I will feeb out and cease to enjoy what is left in my life. Not today or tomorrow that I can tell. Since I have no control over the day I loose control, I have decided not to worry about it for now.
Your poem describes a life lived as a gentleman with many of the things you enjoy still available to you. With little to regret and much to look forward to, there is much happy to be had in your future.
May your smiles be many and your tears few, sir.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Bob Dylan is 70. He's still strumming. I don't think there is an age limit so hang in there Phil. smile

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

well, thanks for all the support guys. i've been gigging for close to 40 years now and was thinking of "retiring" after new years eve. but the closer i get to the date the less i feel like hanging up my telecaster!
i'm still writing songs and poems and i do believe the stuff i've written since joining chordie is some of the best i've ever done (so you can imagine how rubbish my older stuff is lol)
i also feel my "live" voice is better than ever and my guitaring is still improving, slightly!

once again thanks for the great words of support

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.