Topic: Bass question

I'm thinking about getting a mixer and speaker set up for my instruments. Can ayone tell me if its ok to run my bass through that? or do I need a seperate amp?

Re: Bass question

I would invest in a bass amp. I think you'd stand a good chance of ruining that speaker running a bass through it.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

not knowing how you will use your mixer and speaker (or two?) limits the advice i can give.

it all depends really on what you intend to do with it. if your going to be playing at high volumes at say a large hall, then unless you have a really good set-up then you'll blow the speaker pretty quickly.
if your just going to use it in the front room, then i'd say you wouldn't need a bass amp.
how many other people will be playing through it at one time?

if you get a good PA set-up and you dont go blasting away too much (in your front room) then you can have one or two guitarists and your bass fairly comfortably, with a vocal mic. if you intend to use keyboards as well you may get distortion problems, or worse.

hope this helped

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

do you have songs with bass tabs

You can run your bass through your speaker, but it probably won't sound particularly good.  There isn't really a huge difference between a bass amp and a regular amp, except that bass amps are set up to be more sensitive to the low frequencies, and the amplification is generally higher because you need more energy to move those low frequencies around, and if you're going to have problems, that is where you'll find them.  If you hear the amp "clipping" on the lower notes, turn the volume down a bit.  If you have some type of EQ on the guitar or amp, turn the bass on the amp up, and the bass on the guitar down.  The idea is to put as much of the frequencies that the amp is suited for through it. 

I've played my bass through lots of guitar amps, sometimes to good effect, sometimes not, but I've never broken one as a result.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I ran my tuba through a small P.A. with tens and horns. We weren't very loud but I blew a ten inch speaker.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?