Topic: just out of curiosity...

So they say that people who are musically inclined also have a tendency to posess artistic capabilities. I don't know if this true for everybody, but I do like to draw, mostly little cartoonish type things that get me a lot of compliments (more than they're worth as far as I'm concerned)and the very ocassional serious piece (usually on request people can be so demanding lol). I do find that the better I get at guitar the better I get at drawing too.... of course they say we should be good at math too and i got held back a year lol
So my question is are there any other chordians who have artistic or creative talent besides music? I'm trying to see if what 'they' say is credible I guess, or at least if anybody else has found this to be true.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: just out of curiosity...

I can stack 20 quarters on my elbow and snatch 'em in my hand before they hit the ground AND I can do really neat 'spit tricks' with my saliva. Pretty impressive, huh?

Give everything but up.

i like to draw too. im i good at it?thats a matter of opion. i use to paint but i have'nt done that in years. i guess im pretty " artistic " but playing music is my main thing. also i know lots of other musicians who do other " artsy" stuff. and i suckat math as well

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Well I used to draw alot (haven't much in years) Also used to write alot (even had a little published) I am now a painter by trade so yea I guess I'm a little artistic...I don't think it helps much as far as learning the fundamenals of guitar but probably helps some with the creative process of creating your own music. As far as math is concerned...I graduated with a degree in engineering so I'm pretty good with math. I do alot of woodworking also If that qualifies as creative...?  I'm not really sure if any of that is really related to music though...I can Ussually pick up songs and riffs fairly easy but only if I have the tab or chords. I don't have the ear for it. At least not yet but I've only been playing guitar for about 11 months so maybe that just comes with time. Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I am dreadful at drawing.
I used to make things with wood too. I am good at survival techniques like making a shelter, building a good fire, cooking outside, what to eat outside ( although stuff that idea when there is dried noodles)
But as far as artistic goes? i am near the autistic side to artistic. My wife can draw though and she plays fiddle.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

woodworking is an art form
i like to carve and build furniture though i try not mess up my hands to much. intresting topic

Reverend Horton Heat

Canny draw to save my life.

Pretty poor guitarist too.

Enjoy it BIG TIME though!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

enjoying what you do is all that matters no matter how good you are

Reverend Horton Heat

Hi rebel
Don't think begin a guitar player etc  Necessarily means you will be artistic in other fields.
But speaking for myself I have sketched and painted in water colours in the past when inspiration goads me.

Regards

Arkady

I'm with arkady on this one. every once in a while ill pick up some chalk or oil pastels and draw something. I am really into writing short stories though (if that counts as artistic creativity or whatever hmm)

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I am sort of a jack of all trades, including a variety of creative expressions, rather than the master of any.  I am learning guitar and that's going pretty well (though my bass is jealous).  I have done some drawing in the past, though I don't think there was much worth to it.  It was better than some do.  Painting, not so much.  My main alternative mode of expression is tinkering.  I like to tinker with my kayaks and canoes.  Add some deck rigging, or put in tackle holders, or add a rowing station.  Nothing special, but if I think about it the creative process is much the same.  Get a notion, expand on it a bit, think through how to make it happen, then get your hands busy, and when you're done you've made one thing into another. 

My sister however is a freelance artist and also a talented banjo picker.  She also plays guitar, mountain dulcimer, a little piano, and even harmonica.  She is also brilliant at math - earned a degree as an architect and worked as an architect for a while before going freelance with her art. 

My mom was the same way too.  She played piano by ear and sang like Patsy Cline.  Plus she was an astoundingly good quilter.  She could reproduce traditional patterns, but mostly she enjoyed making up scenes.  She'd describe what she wanted to my dad, who is an artist (and a brilliant mathemetician, but not musician).  He'd draw it out from her description.  Then she'd cut out the paper and figure out how to make the patterns (radical math application as far as I'm concerned). 

Me, I earned a degree in economics.  It requires quite a lot of math but the answers aren't nearly as concrete.  Gives a lot of fudge space that way. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i love to draw it dosent allways come out that great.

Tried my hand at oil painting, did one oil on canvas, it was decent. everyone says its a good painting, but I can't say that its anything I want to pursue. I don't really think of myself as artistic, I think I'll just stay with building the occasional boat, home repairs, and nuts and bolts stuff -cut to fit, beat into place, thats the way I do it.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I love drawing! I've been drawing like since I was 5 or something. I should put up some pics or something. People tell me I'm really good at it.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I believe there may be a connection to musical and art. My inability to draw a crooked line might explain my difficulty in learning a new lead intro or chord progression.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

16 (edited by naolslager 2011-09-02 14:06:43)

I attempt the guitar but many have said they like my writing. I love to write and am always spinning some anecdote for the fun of it.
Two weeks ago I wrote part of the eulogy for my mother's funeral. When the Pastor used my words I cried. No one has ever quoted me to me before and my words were quite touching, for me anyway.

By the way I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and practiced for several years. Now I talk and write for living.

17 (edited by Bass Viking 2011-09-02 16:43:26)

I never considered myself very "artsy", but I have always thought of myself as a very "keen" mind.  My memory and recall has been marveled at by others for years.  I used to think I would like to try some painting, but never followed it up.  I have very creative thoughts and have always been a "problem solver" for others.  I have written poetry since I was a wee child, but never until recently did I ever think to try to turn any of my writing to music.  Now, with the basics of the guitar learning going on, I have penned a few tunes which are not too bad.  It is just a shame I can't play and sing any better than I can because I really do enjoy it.  I would have to say it has surpassed playing golf as my number one pastime since retiring.  the bottom line is as Selso posted earlier; "Enjoying what you do is all that matters, no matter how good you are."  I enjoy that idea!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, and I'm the world's worst carpenter.  I have a knack for mechanics, though, and I will pull together a full gourmet meal out of next to nothing in an instant.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like to doodle and did well with art classes in school,I am good at painting cars and motercycles,it is very rewarding and so is restoring them. I think art is music related somehow,as most of the Members of the Beatles and theRolling stones went to Schools for it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Like Guitarpix, I worked as a painter (houses) for years. Messy work but I like the quiet. Rebuilt and restored a wooden sailboat. it only took me five years. I sailed her for 17 years and gave her away when it was time for another rebuild.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I am mechanically inclined so I can do most things much to the amazement of my neighbors. When I was in college I used to buy used motorcycles - some came disassembled in a box - fix them up, ride them a while, then sell them for a profit. Not unlike my current guitar adventures.

I like to draw but can't. I love to read. I love to write. I love to take photographs. I love to play (at) the Guitar.

Yeah, as I said before I like drawing. I'm going to be doing an apprenticeship in carpentry coz I like working with my hands.

I'm a landscaper, a good one! I've built 2 medal winning gardens at the Chelsea Flower Show which is the worlds best horticultural show and another at the Hampton Court show. Sadly my guitar playing isn't world class though as it would certainly earn me more money if it was!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Buzzwagon wrote:

I'm a landscaper, a good one! I've built 2 medal winning gardens at the Chelsea Flower Show which is the worlds best horticultural show and another at the Hampton Court show. Sadly my guitar playing isn't world class though as it would certainly earn me more money if it was!

Jerry

That's awesome!

I dabble at painting, oils and acrylics. In my canoe tripping days, I learned acrylic painting because oil paintings don't survive canoe travel well. I paint acrylic on birch-bark landscapes.

I also write, mostly poetry, but also short stories and novelettes, although I haven't had much published. I also love cooking and meal preparation.

I guess I like to experiment with creativity, which, I suppose, is fairly common amongst musicians. With music, like standup comedy, the feedback is instantaneous and sometimes brutal, but always appreciated. Nothing like applause to lift you up!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"