Topic: Surprising discovery (at least to me)

I took a little break from work and went over to check out some guitars.  I played both the Taylor and the Martin models of wood topped composite body guitars.  Normally I like Martin anything, but I did not care for the sound of this particular composite guitar.  X-series or something like that.  Anyway, same body size in the Taylor (110e I think) and it sounded great.  The only thing is that the bass, while deep and penetrating, didn't sound very warm.  Imagine the sound of crystal ringing.  Now imagine the sound of crystal ringing being imitated by a mediocre car loudspeaker.  It was like that.  It was definitely a guitar's bass notes, but it didn't sound *quite* right.  Other than that, for the price and feel of the guitar, I think the Taylor will be tough to beat.  The Martin of that market/style just didn't have much to recommend it.  Sorry Martin, I've met someone new...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Surprising discovery (at least to me)

LOL Zurf. I have a Martin DX-1 and I'm fairly happy w/ it. It's not too condusive for barr cords, I have Martin Med. strings on it. I think when I change them I'll try some Elixer lights. Alot of people here seem to like them

Before I bought my Martin, I played some of the lower end DX models.  Same thing here.  They were alright, but not quite good enough.  That's why I stepped up a notch or two and bought the Custom D Martin.  Sweet sound.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've had a few Martins and a few Taylors and have found that I much prefer Taylors to Martins overall for my style of play... For Bluegrass/flatpicking it's hard to beat a martin (IMO) but for most other things I like Taylors smile My one guitar that I really regret selling is the last 314ce I had....:( sad

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I don't think you can judge a guitar line by some of their entry level guitars. I have played lots of taylors , martins, gibson's , alvarez yairi's and lots of others. I have played some stand out models in each line and it all comes down to finding one that talks to you.

The more I have played and listened I would rather buy a Crafter, Blueridge, Recording King or others made in China solid wood guitars than a entry level Martin or Taylor laminate guitar, Solid wood guitars have the sound I'm after,

for my style I much prefer Martins, I have yet to play a Taylor I would consider buying smile  Gibson's another story I am gassing bad for one !

Later, Wayne P

Zurf, I can appreciate what you're talking about here.  Last guitar I bought I was passing up all the "name brand" entry level guitars.  Everything under $400 from Martin and Taylor was putting me off... which was why I ended up with the laminate top Epi for under $200.  In that price range, the "big guys" just didn't do it for me.  I'm sure when I head back with a bigger wad of cash I'll be far more excited by the Martins and Taylors though.  Or maybe upgrade from the Epi to a real Gibson!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I hope it wasn't misunderstood that I don't like Martin guitars.  I LOVE Martin guitars.  It was just this particular model when compared to the Taylor of the same price range and type that I liked the Taylor a lot better.  If we slide the price sticker up closer to $1,000 U.S., then Martins are what I'm all about.  I play mostly fingerpick Country and folk.  I also tried a Takemine in the same price range that was solid wood, and it sounded terrific.  I've noticed a lot of Country pickers playing Takemine.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I'd take a Taylor over a Martin every time.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I'd take a Taylor over a Martin every time.

DITTO !!!!!!!!!

I have an Epiphone and I consider is fairly decent, although I don't really like the pickups. Really want to go try some Taylor Guitars(fancy that). I've tried some Seagulls and I really like those too.

no audience required.

If you're looking for that particular type of guitar (composite body, solid wood top), I'm not sure that you can beat an Ovation with a Taylor or a Martin... Ovation has been building them longer than anyone that I know of.  Give them a try. You'll save ton of money too!

Now available in 5G !

Thanks tandm3.  I don't care for the round backs on the Ovations.  It makes them hard for me to hold with my round front.  Two opposing arcs rotating around one another.  They do sound good, though.  No question about that.

One night, a long, long time ago, I was on stage playing my jumbo Takamine thru my Roland AC 30 amp and standing beside me was my buddy who was playing his brand spanking new, high $$$$ Martin thru his amp (I think it was a D28 A/E). I noticed him looking a me a lot and kinda got worried that I was playing off key or had stepped in something. When we finally got to take a break he got to asking me about my guitar and amp, saying how good it sounded. When we went back to playing he played my Tak and I played his Martin. As we ended the night he commented that he could have saved a couple thousand dollars and been just as happy with something less that a Martin. I know I'm happy with what I've got and have had some good comments over the sound.

Nela

I have a couple of Takamines that are sub $700 guitars and the only thing i have found better is the higher end Taylors, Gibsons, and Martins. I have tried a couple that are almost as good in the same price and they are Walden, Carvin, and Morgan Monroe. You might want to check those out if youre shoppin around.

I've got a Walden 12 string, which for a mid price guitar it has the clarity and warmth of a more expensive 12. Really happy with it.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I love the sound of the 12-fret Blueridge BR-72 and its rosewood/spruce combination.  I have a 14-fret BR-73 and much prefer the sound compared to my mahogany Martin 000-16GT.  My next purchase will probably be a BR-62 which has the same woods as the BR-72 but without all the pearl and abalone bling.  They're less than $430 at some on-line sites like Maury's Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNlOMlulaQM

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

You got me thinking there Ed ............. 12 fret......... 14 fret ......... I was imagining very short guitars as I usualy use the term to signify the total number of frets smile.

Typically a classical guitar has 12 frets to the body and an acoustic 14 so the Blueridge is rather unusual, but she is a very attractive lady and she does sound great.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have a Martin that I love, but I've played Taylor's that I certainly loved as well, I wouldn't turn either one down. Wayne makes a good point though, be it a Martin, Taylor or whatever, the entry level guitar's just don't sound as good as their mid range or higher priced models, but then I suppose that's true for any brand, though once in awhile you can find that one special guitar that's not high priced or even a major name brand, if it sounds good to you, that's good enough, each to his own.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hee hee, this cracks me up. Give me a plank of wood with some strings on it and I'll give it a go.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Hee hee, this cracks me up. Give me a plank of wood with some strings on it and I'll give it a go.

What something like this perhaps:

http://tedcrocker.com/scratchguitar1silo.jpg

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger, that diddly bow has too many strings on it for your average diddler.  It would confuse them!

http://dedabadaddy.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/d-bow-head3.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

What the hell? yikes

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

That action looks a little high to me. Its a good thing there is only one string, imagine barre chords on that thing!:lol

Love that single string guitar, but agree with southrnrockr, the action is a little high, could have tuning probs too. think i'll stick with my Washburn J28 it sounds really great though a Martin would be very nice..

I think those one and two stringers belong too "Snoopy" the peanut's cartoon dog

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman