Topic: Goblet or Windmill?

I read somewhere recently – and I cannot reveal where so as not to erode any veracity I may have developed heretofore with my unknown audience, be it one or many – Mark Twain, the great 19th century humorist and writer, was also a guitar player and singer. It has been reveled to me that he owned and played a Martin 2½-17 guitar. This information, if true, and I suspect it is, re-opened the festering wound, which is my unassailable interest in owning a Martin Guitar.

When I decided to learn to play the guitar a few years ago my sights were set on purchasing a Martin guitar. Not for any knowledge of this manufacturer other than the repeated subtle insistence that Martin was responsible for proffering the “gold standard"  of guitars, most notably, if not certainly, the D-28. For the last two plus years I’ve shopped, bought, sold, and played many guitars. And occasionally I’ve strongly considered the capital outlay required to purchase a Martin. On two occasions I summoned a small amount of capital to purchase a Little Martin (travel guitar).

Now one could argue that this low-end product while being a Martin is so far removed from the mainstay of the Martin product to be considered a 2nd or 3rd cousin at best. But it does wear the Martin name and the Little Martin can fill a need. I currently own one and carry with me when I travel.

A big challenge for me (and for many I suppose) is determining if there is ONE guitar for them, or if I am (or they are) a ONE-guitar person. Or is there a need, a requirement really, for more than one guitar? Is this necessary? Is it okay? Based on my level of ability (not desire) I warrant less than one guitar so the Little Martin (alone) might be the necessary instrument for me.

But with a little capital – for which I am blessed to have – it is relatively easy to acquire a menagerie of guitars and before I know it I’ve reached my seemingly theoretical maximum limit of guitars. At this point, I feel compelled and, very likely guilty, at the mismatch between my playing ability and the number of instruments I own, so I begin racking and stacking my guitars according to some unknowable formula as to their inherent value to me. Thus the sell-off begins. A guitar, which enjoyed my favor last week, or even yesterday, could suddenly find itself walking the steps of the gallows where it’s fate will be determined by my marketing ability and the interest I can garner via Craig’s List.

I like to read and so it is only natural my eyes should some day stumble upon the sentence or two detailing Mark Twain’s musical facet to include his Martin guitar. Mark Twain is also one of my favorite authors so this fact resonated with me and I find my Martin wound exposed to the air and glaring at me like a beacon.

Now there is no room for rhyme, reason, or logic here and trying to introduce it will only cause frustration similar to that caused when someone tries to demystify the concepts of “pre-order"  or “pre-plan" . No, leave all that nonsense outside! I am wondering if my love of reading and music have coincided smack dab in my middle age, my second shot at youth, to enable me to somehow combine the two and possibly allow me to select ONE guitar, a Martin?

I have a lousy history with this topic and I have little confidence I am right coupled with a cynical aspect, which is seldom wrong. Some believe there is a Holy Grail in the form of a guitar and others insist that every windmill is a candidate. Which am I? Only time will tell.

2 (edited by bensonp 2011-09-05 15:53:41)

Re: Goblet or Windmill?

I am also a Twain lover.  He had wonderful humor and was an excellent writer.  I did not know he was a guitar palyer, let alone having a Martin.  As to your fate, naolslager, you have a dilema, which only you can fix.  As always, we buy what we can afford and are generally happy with those.  As to the question whether one guitar is enough or several guitars are too much, is a question each of us has to ask ourselves. I bought my first Martin, a Custom D rosewood abot two years ago.  It was one of the low medium end guitars in my opinion and have loved it ever since.  It just keeps getting better.  Then I saved up for almost two years and bought a HD-28 and it is a very fine guitar.  I will probably keep them both. I could have remained happy just having the first one, but GAS hit me and consumed my dreams for a long time.  The question has always been in my mind that I have have way too much guitar for my playing ability, which is true, but owning these fine guitars has made me a better player in my opinion. Owning a great sounding guitar made me practice and enjoy it more, so I have not lost a thing.
You have GAS, my friend.  In the worst way.  You need to keep your sights set on the guitar you really want and save earnestly for as long as it takes.  You will not be sorry.  Owning one fine guitar can last you a lifetime, but chances are you will once again be smitten later on and want another.  That is life.  And that is why we are here.  To help guide each other through the hard times.  To share our dreams.
I wish you the best luck on your journey.  And do share your thoughts as you take this journey.  We are only too happy to help you spend your money to achieve your dream.
And one other statement.  My Fender acoustic has been in its case for almost two years buried in the back of the closet.  It is one I will probably give to a friend or relative who has a desire to learn guitar.  I have done this twice before.  Buying new and giving the old one away. 
And I still have my sights on a Gibson J45, but that will be a long time from now.  I have my Martins and I love them.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I agree with Pete, to each his own. By your track record I doubt that you will be a one guitar person. Even if you do obtain your holy grail Martin will your gas then cease? I for one tend to shy away from hype even if it is based on fact. Martins I am sure are wonderful instruments but the price tag and hype make me turn my eyes towards others. So if you do get your Martin will it live up to your expectations and cause you to forget all others? I doubt it. Ability vs. quality, 1 or 5, it doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy it and are not hurting others by doing it. I myself have 3 guitars and that is my limit. I might add an electric in the future. Financially that is all I should have and I can only play one at a time anyway. If you are fortunate enough to have more or better then go for it. Think of it as  a search for the perfect one.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you shared the info with us about mark twain,he wasa great writer,and I think he would have donea good job with a guitar. I have wanted a martin since the early 1970's seems like evertime I get close something happens and the money go's of too house, car or my kids. I am saving now for one.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

One guitar?  Not for the likes of some.  You are among the some who will not be satisfied by one guitar.  If you want a Martin and can get a Martin, go ahead.  But you will want another guitar in time.  There are least two or three guitars I want right now.  Your problem, Naoslager, is budget.  You want a $2,000 guitar for $300.  You want a bunch of $2000 guitars for $300 each (or possibly total).  Not going to happen.  There's nothing at all wrong with owning a $2,000 guitar, or even a bunch of $2,000 guitars so long as you are not shorting the necessary things in life (which include in part supporting your community and charitable giving). 

Get over the cognitive dissonance between price and value and you'll be more satisfied with the guitars you wind up with.  And possibly some other things too. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I own less guitars than I want and more guitars than I need. I plan to keep it that way.

Question: If you dropped substantial coin on a high end instrument, let's say $2,000+, would you be comfortable road tripping with it? Taking it on flights? Letting friends try it out? I am not. I have a number of high end instruments. My hands and my hands alone are allowed to touch them. I don't take them on the road unless it's for a paid gig and even then mostly not.

I have a second group of middle to low end instruments that I sling around on planes, smoky bars, etc. All in all I have 13 (if you count two electric mandolins, a lap steel, and a baby Sitar) and I hope to one day have many more than that.

Me. I quit smoking ciggeretts some 6 years ago and started collecting acoustic guitars with the money saved from
tobacco, five acoustics, one electric, a bass, two mandolins, and a uke. love them all and will collect more for sure.

beats smoking,    badeye    cool

one caper after another

Dangit!  I should have smoked.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Baldguitardude wrote:

Question: If you dropped substantial coin on a high end instrument, let's say $2,000+, would you be comfortable road tripping with it? Taking it on flights? Letting friends try it out?

I have no problem letting anybody play my $2,000+ CA. It's made from Carbon Fiber and is practically indestructible. And she sounds oh so sweet!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2621826875_c68494c652.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I love your couch.

11 (edited by naolslager 2011-09-06 21:55:10)

So far I play alone and no one else touches my guitars. I don't smoke and try not to hang out in smokey bars and I don't gig so I would be comfortable with a $2k on one level. BUT my playing doesn't warrant it. I know, I know, you say but DJ a better guitar will enable you to play better. There is some truth to that but my biggest improvement will come through BS & T. And this can be done with a member of my sub-$300 menagerie.

Wait a minute. Did I just talk myself down from a GAS attack?

p.s. sorry: BS & T = blood, sweat, and tears

A better guitar would improve some aspects of your playing. But the best players I know can make dental floss and a coffee can sound like buddy guy.

The internet marketer in the forum is happy to announce that this thread is ranked #1 on Google for the search term 'goblet windmill.'

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c … t+windmill

^ That's awesome LMAO

Baldguitardude wrote:

I love your couch.

Living in the man cave / play room it is also nearly indestructible smile

Good find Baldguitardude.  I had a good laugh over that one also.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

topdown wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Question: If you dropped substantial coin on a high end instrument, let's say $2,000+, would you be comfortable road tripping with it? Taking it on flights? Letting friends try it out?

I have no problem letting anybody play my $2,000+ CA. It's made from Carbon Fiber and is practically indestructible. And she sounds oh so sweet!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/262 … 94c652.jpg

I've played that guitar, and if it doesn't put a smile on your face then you're probably dead. 

I love the couch too.  Did you get it at Carl Perkin's yard sale? 

- Zurf

Im pretty sure Tony Soprano beat up a stripper on that couch once.

Topdown, you've inspired me. My jam room was moved to a 24 hour secure lockout facility a few months ago and now I have a room laying empty. I'm man-caving it this weekend. Thank you for the inspiration!!!!

I like the guitar!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I got to try that guitar out when we visited Topdown for a jam in North Carolina.
I really liked it. He had a really cool man cave too!

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

This thread has been high-jacked. Maybe I should change the name to "The Davenport Diaries"?

I really doubt that I would drop 2K on a guitar at this point in time. Although the thought has gone through my mind of picking up an electric. I probably shouldn't type so loud, my wife may hear me. LOL On a more serious note; there will be a more expensive guitar in my arsenal once I become more proficient at my goal. Not sure which one but I've heard tell once you pick the right one up, it speaks to you. Hey, did I have a GAS attack in there somewhere??

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.