Topic: Led Zeppelin

I'm wondering who actually starrted Led Zeppelin, and what type of music they really are.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Re: Led Zeppelin

Led Zepplin is a rock band which started in c 1968. It was formed by guitarist Jimi Page.

There is a current thread about whether Led Zeppelin were a heavy metal band. They were a heavy rock band and some of their songs would not be out of place on a heavy metal album. I don't whether they ever saw themselves a heavy metal. However in the 70s and 80's they were very popular with heavy metal and rock fans alike     

but Led zep wrote a lot of songs which were mid paced rock, blues, folk rock and even acoustic ballads

biggest song - stairway to heaven (hugely famous guitar parts)

other biggies - black dog , whole lotta love   

Led zeps biggest selling albums predated Iron maiden and Metallica. Those bands are faster and thrashier than Led Zep.

I'n not a Led Zep fan (or a heavy metal fan) but they are worth a listen

Stairway to Heaven is one of my favorite songs
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

I heard on the radio ( rock radio 96.3fm in scotland) the dj said Robert Plant was not happy to be called heavy metal or heavy rock band. He saw led zepplin as a rock band.

I think sometimes it doesnt matter what the band actually want, it is the fans that take to them that can determine the category they will be perceived in.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Just a little footnote,

Page got the idea for forming Zep while jamming with Keith Moon and some others, he wanted Moon and Entwistle too leave The Who and team up with him and someone else I just can't recall.
Although both Moon and Entwistle were unhappy in The Who at the time, they both still wanted to give their all.

I've always wondered how that group would have turned out.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

The band was formed by Page shortly after his original group, The Yardbirds, split up on an American tour. Page returned to his hometown of London hoping to form a new Yardbirds from scratch. John Paul Jones, the bassist/keyboardist responded to one of Page's newspaper ads and Page discovered vocalist, Robert Plant in Birmingham at a cafe where Plant was singing blues. Plant then invited his old hometown friend, John Bonham to join the band. Even after the band was formed they were the "New Yardbirds."

Moddish mentioned that Page originally wanted Keith Moon to join the New Yardbirds, this was true, but Keith didn't join because he thought the band would "sink like a lead zeppelin" thus the new name, Led Zeppelin...so in your face Keith Moon!

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

what cracking info ye get in this forum.

i love it.

well done to keith for making teir name up. \i wonder what they would hae thought up themselves?

i just cant see Robert Plant fitting into any band wit hanything to do with Yards or birds, lol

Len

no, it is Ken, my terrible typing made me type Len instead of Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Heh Heh heh.LOL
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr