Topic: Guitar Chord Notation

Frequently I see cholds in sheet music written as, for example, D/F#, or G/B. How are such chords to be played?

Re: Guitar Chord Notation

This is a frequently asked question these are called slash chords D/F# for example means the note D is the chord and the note F# is the lowest note played in the chord all slash chords follow this rule: "the note to the left of the slash is the chord and the note to the right is the lowest note in the chord" smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Right on Russell.  And you can get by just playing the chord and forgetting about the slash chord.  Works for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Russell and Bensonp,
Thank you both.
Ibexx

Hi ibexx, our compadres' are correct, but usually the slash chords would be played by the bass guitar, same thing really. i know ite an old post but only just joined..!

This is incorrect the reason for slash chords is more for chord voicing the bass usually plays the root and a slash chord is not restricted to first position forms, as an altered chord it can be played anywhere on the neck smile

janzi5 wrote:

Hi ibexx, our compadres' are correct, but usually the slash chords would be played by the bass guitar, same thing really. i know ite an old post but only just joined..!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

As a bassist, I always played the alternate bass note of the chord when a slash chord came along.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I find you can pretty much ignore the slash bass note when you're strumming but it makes a heck of a lot of difference when you're finger picking. The alternate bass note often gives the song a kind of running bass line while the actual chord doesn't change. It can be really effective.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

I agree with Greatbigdave on this one.  Fingerstyle will require you to add that /note. AND, you'll like it.  By the way Dave, how big is Great Big?

Now available in 5G !

Six feet five and about 230 pounds. When I tried to put in a user name there were lots of Daves so I tried Bigdave and that was taken so I put the great on and that worked.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

totally off topic but WOW Greatbigdave... you are ONE BIG DUDE!  My neck hurts just thinking of how far I'd have to tip my head to look up at you... lol  Welcome to chordie, I don't think I've seen you around here yet!

teenie tiny 5'0"
aka Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wow. 6'5. I'm only 6'0 sad  I wish I was taller. I want to play basketball.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Thanks Amy it's nice to be here! It has it's good points being tall but big fingers can be a pain on the guitar sometimes. B7 for example comes out as FFRUPP as my fingers damp all the strings next door to the ones I'm supposed to be fretting!! Also you bang your head a lot. It is handy for basketball though!
Back on topic, a really nice example of a slash chord is on the first two chords in Handbags and Gladrags by Stereophonics. Its the same chord but the second time through starts with a different bass note. I have seen quite a few people play a different note altogether for that second chord because they don't realise it's only the bass note changing.

Welcome too the site dave, tall and big is a good thing ( baseball football, etc. ) I am on the short side aka Fun Size.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

steelstrings wrote:

Wow. 6'5. I'm only 6'0 sad  I wish I was taller. I want to play basketball.

What's stopping you?  This guy was dwarfed by his team-mates in stature, but not in scoring: http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/page … tml?id=287

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

lol. I thought there was a specific height to play basketball.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

dino48 wrote:

Welcome too the site dave, tall and big is a good thing ( baseball football, etc. ) I am on the short side aka Fun Size.

As the brunt of many a short joke, I haven't heard that one yet.  I think I might take that and use it, instead of "vertically challenged"... I am "fun size"!  LOVE IT!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.