Re: The reason a lot of kids have started playing...

I find solice in playing, it's food for the soul

'moddish: It really surprises me how some people can begin to play guitar/bass then just give up on it! I've been playing for a year and  a half, and I've learned so much that if i were to give up now it would seem like such a waste of all those hours of practice.'

J Page, You've no idea how much I regret not sticking with it. At the time I knew no one how was playing and a combination of not being able to source any help and generally being more interested in hanging out with girls kinda put the Kaibosh on things! lol 

Now Im sticking at it as best I can and coming on slowly but surely.......even though I can't find anyone to play with I aint giving up this time!! smile

Like I said earlier, stick at it, improve and love every minute of it........music is a gift and should be enjoyed on as many levels as possible. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

jpage_roxmysox wrote:

rj, u bring up another point, guitar, like many forms of art, is stable.  I forget who said this, but i know someone once said that the arts are man's way of coping with the world.  Which is so true, I think the world would be a lot more sad/angry if it weren't for music.

Too true, I had the worst monday yesterday at work and came home and thrashed out on the guitar and instantly felt better. The pick I used is one that someone gave to me, extra heavy (I think it's a bass pick)...but by the time I was done, there were pick shavings all over my pickups and I was sweating with happiness.

Total therapy.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

lol power to you detman smile

idk i have to agree with the fact that alot of people are playin the guitar because of guitar hero and yes mabey the reason i got my first chep epi SG was to pick up a girl or mabey just to learn a second instrument (i played the saxaphone siense 5th grade)   idk but there are alot of people wanting or alredy learning at my school.

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

yeah it was kind of a trend at my school, but so many people dropped out of it. Playing the guitar (or any instrument for that matter) requires a certain amount of passion or love for the instrument.  It's almost impossible to be able to stick with guitar just because your friend can play it and you want to too.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I think lots of kids these days are just too lazy to stick to an insurment these days. Lots of kids in the School Band are only in becaust their parents are making them. They don't really want to play, but have to.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Tons of kids are wanting to play guitar here in the Uk - I've been playing for around twenty years and don't think I've ever been asked for lessons as many times.  I reckon it's because there are so many guitar bands making it at the moment - Arctic Monkeys, the View,  Kaisers etc.   Also great to see my young kids listening to bands like Busted and Mcfly instead of the usual teeny dance dross.

danspr wrote:

I think lots of kids these days are just too lazy to stick to an insurment these days. Lots of kids in the School Band are only in becaust their parents are making them. They don't really want to play, but have to.
cool danspr

hey im a kid! but ya to many people drop out of music because they think there not good every one still asks me why im in the school band still and i replie becaause i wanted to i signed up on feeling that i could play the saxaphone and i could and still do so now i decided its time to play anoother instrument.... the gutiar

Well my name is Brandon Stringer. I'm the Bass Player in a Band Called "Decayed".  I think that the reason a lot of kids pick up a guitar is to belong...i did.  In a lot of schools Rap is the style that most people listen to.  In my school there is a group of kids who are literally known as "The Rockers"  I didn't really have a lot of friends until I started listening to rock and became part of that group.  I don't regret my choice and I love being a little different from the crowd.

good choice, SGman999.
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

37 (edited by SGman999 2007-06-14 19:42:56)

thnxs i like that drematic pause i put in  lol   oh and just today in school (last day befor gradoation WOOT!!)  a kid quit the guitar becase it wasnt as easy as guitar hero 2    and find that a discrase

It really is.
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

39 (edited by SGman999 2007-06-14 20:00:40)

i hate people who whine and commplain that a instrument is to hard to play..... then get some lessons!!!!    and a few months ago a few people quit because there fingers bleeded... who cares! my fingers bleed every day and ive only got it for 24 hours and i wont put it down I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY YET!!! ( oh btw are my fingers suposed to bleed?)   its not a vidio game!!!

this is a sad world... those people should be put in prison...

sgman999

Your right, and you'r fingers are supposed to bleed. It shows that you have been practicing enough. They will eventually heal and ger calluses so they won't hurt or bleed.
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

ok

Wow cool thread. Lets see I graduated in 1977 and the only guitar I can remember back then was one of my Dads coal mining buddies named Bobby Cann. He'd come over on saturday nite and play all nite. He always left the guitar at our house in the corner. But pops would not let any of the kids pick it up as it was "Not yours it's Bobby Canns put it down" Little did he know when he was at work my older brother and I would have some fun with it. Thank god we never broke a string. and always tried to get it back exacatly where it was. I knew someday I would play guitar for the fun of it.Been at it for 18 months, everyday. Can't get enough.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

first of all, you really got it in ya, JP, that's exactly what's happenin to rock. its dyin. and I particularly enjoyed the part about fergie learnin how to spell or whatever... smile stupid hip hop punkies sad
second of all, I started playin the guitar because I wanted to keep therock goin instead of lettin it die.
third of all, the 'tar really gets the ladies, if ya know wat i mean.... cool
and last, personally, I think girls that play the guitar have got some real potential and are pretty hot cool
                   ROCKIN GECKO

AMEN       rock on brother!         

( i am sorry if you are from another religion and you got offended by the fact i said amen)

cool
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

my friend is a idiot he wants to quit because the b string snaped and hit his hand.!

jeeze
that guys a pussy
im like 15
i remember once i went out skating and i ended up cutting all my hands and like fingers but i still maneged to teach my uncl some guitar
and now he comes to most of my gigs i play at
which is nice

its just a name!

[url=http://www.myspace.com/punked_will]www.myspace.com/punked_will[/url]

well he did not quit do to my wonderfull persuasion (beating the crap out of him)

and once i was snowboarding (more like trying to ) and i fell i sprained my leg cut a gash in my arm and skinned up around my eye i also layed in a fence for 30 minutes waiting fore someone.  i couldent go to school the next day because i couldent do anything but sit there and watch tv     

(but i did get a call from my dream girl tellin me to get better.... then i found out shes goin with some guy who ive hated) anyway ya my friend is a pussy.

Beating the crap out of someone always prsuades them to do the better thing. also, Ow!
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

i absolutely agree with you, i play guitar, and i have like 4 friends that play guitar, and out of them 2 like heavy metal/hard rock, and the rest of people i know like rap and hip hop and country and im like ahhhhhh how can you like this stuff people and ya. i agree with you, rock is not dead, but a lot of newer bands dont really play hard and wail it out on a solo. some great guitarists, but not like the old days.

Have you ever thought of a world with no hypothetical situations??