Topic: Guitar love: Is it wrong?

I started out on the bass way back at the start of the eighties and soon joined a band. We got good enough to earn a little money and I was lucky enough to be able to buy my dream guitar, a Rickenbacker 4001 in custom white. I'd always loved the sound of a Rickenbacker and I thought they were the finest looking guitar I'd ever seen.
I played that guitar in several bands with lot's of other guitarists for twenty odd years and while they all kept changing guitars as new features and fashions changed I always stuck with my old faithfull Rick. Eventually I needed my weekends back and I got fed up with humping closet sized speaker cabs up and down stairs so I gave up the band, sold my gear and bought an acoustic six string in the hope of learning to play it.
After a few months it was clear to me that I couldn't live without a Rickenbacker though. I still had another bass but it just wasn't the same. Eventually I gave in and went out and bought another one, this time in black.
That was three years ago I think and even though I must have spent many thousands of hours playing one of those basses, I still feel the same excitement as I pick up the case and I can literally feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I open the lid. When I finish playing it, I stand it on a guitar stand and just admire it.
In all those years I have never met anyone else that feels like that about their instrument so I have decided to come out of the closet as it were in front of my fellow musicians and ask:
Is it wrong?
Should I book myself in for councelling?
What do you think guys?

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Re: Guitar love: Is it wrong?

If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I think you're ok for now Dave. But if you give it a girl's name, start putting dresses on it, caressing and kissing it, then you might have a problem.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

All my guitars have names. They do their own shopping, though.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-09-15 23:09:33)

I love my guitars too.Especially my rickenbacker.What`s not to love.When was the last time your guitars whined at you for something.When did a guitar complain that you do nothing around the house after you come home from working 12 hours straight.When was the last time......you get the idea.No matter how well or bad you treat them they give you unconditional love(unless you smash them).Just a little TLC and they will stay your friends for life.Here`s another one for you.Do you ever picture them conversing with each other when no one is around.The ones you had forever telling the newbies they can be replaced.I always pictured my ric and yamaha acoustic telling the newer ones how they seen them come and go over the years.When a new guitar thinks it will nudge out the old timers.The old timers tell them who is going.Wow,I think I hijacked this post.NOTE:NO NEW GUITARS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF THIS POST

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

It's a Rick.  There'd be something wrong with you if you didn't get all warm and fuzzy. 

I've only once ever played on a Rick.  I remember each note. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I care about my guitars,I guess I will get warm and fuzzy when I get a Martin.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Some guitars are so good that they deserve to have a name.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

UH, Joey, I don't want to tell you that you're crazy. But you might want to ask a therapist and see what he says. Talking guitars....next thing you know your kids will have fish names. Oh, wait a minute......

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care what anyone says or thinks about me, I love my guitars. My wife even calls my Matons my babies. Maybe she is just as crazy as me. LOL.

All the best to all the other crazy Chordie folk.
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

"Guitar love, is it wrong" ?

no

badeye    cool

one caper after another

There is a special connection between player and guitar I think. I've never played a guitar, but there's def something special about the familiarity of a guitar that you've played for a long time.
Music is such an emotional force, and the instrument associated with all of those emotions and memories is going to feel really special to you.

All You Need is Love smile

I second that HannahBeth, for the very same reason we have a hard time parting
with an old friend we've known a long time. We bond and yes there are memories
good and bad.   Right now I am considering parting with one of these friends, my
Aria pro II bass I've had since 86. Having played on other inexpensive models that
weigh much less, sound as good or better and are great to look at I want to sell but
there are a lot of memories and though I play guitar I've been filling in on bass for
groups getting together that are lacking a bass player and so just to fill in occasionally
doesn't warrant saying goodbye to "her". I always can find another friend and keep
the old ones. smile   mike

Our intuitions serve us well

You should have the guitars discuss it with each other and decide who goes.Does that sound like a good idea z.All kidding aside,you do develop a bond with a guitar.My ric,yamaha sj-180 and gibson falcon amp I have had since before I met my wife.As a matter of fact,I was still living at my mothers house when I had them.Go back even further,my father was very much alive when i bought the ric.He died 27 years ago.A bond and memories.What more can a guitar bring?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Dear Penthouse forums,
I have a relationship with a Strat that goes back to 1986.  She makes me buy her new pickups and pickguards every 10 years or so.  She makes me feel sleezy but she feels so good when I hold her..

Really though, some things in our lives make deep impressions.  Some of these relationships with inanimate objects seem silly to some people,  but those of us that had these types of relationships have, in some small way, learned something from them.  Or its the tequila again..  In any case, its less dangerous than some of things you could get involved with.  Just don't try to marry your guitar.. That's only legal in Oregon and New Hampshire. smile

Now available in 5G !

Do NOT let your strat drink tequila.  The Supreme Court and 5 out of 6 psychiatrists require that I not tell you why. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wouldnt a strat drink beer(Corona if it`s a mexican,Bud if it`s an american) and a tele would drink tequila. A martin or a taylor would drink Jack Daniels.Think of it.What would your guitars drink.What kind of music do they play.That will help decide what they drink.Use your imagination.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Love my guitars which are basically objects? No I dont think so. I think this is just another extention of the love for material things which is to a large extent what's wrong with the world today.
I do love music especially guitar miusic and I love being able to play.
ark

19 (edited by whitewater55 2011-09-17 11:09:20)

I don't know, arkady. I have a very old, very beat up Gianini 12er that I absolutely love.
It was given to me for storage, back in 1969, and belonged to an army buddy of mine who accompanied me to Vietnam. He didn't make it back, and that guitar sat in its case in a closet for over ten years, because it reminded me of Myles, who was its previous owner. I couldn't bring myself to play it. When I took it out, the neck had broken away from the body and the saddle had lifted up. It was a mess.
I took it to a luthier, got it repaired and learned to play (I had been a bassist).
The instrument is over 60 years old and it absolutely rings and the sustain is incredible. It has great action and a nice wide fretboard. It never leaves my house, but I carress it daily, and what I feel for it is akin to love.
As to value, it's not a "collector's" item, it's a low end Gianini, probably sold around $100.00 or less when new, but when I play it, I am reminded of my dear friend, a Newfie from Cornerbrook who could make people smile simply by picking it up. It was my campfire guitar as my kids were growing up and served as an accompaniment to my student's singing during my teaching career, and went to a multitude of Scout camps. I've used it on stage numerous times, and now I cherish it like an old lover, which is why it stays indoors now.
Yes, it is possible to feel "love" for a guitar, not because of its value as an object, but as a momento of a lifetime of memories, of glowing campfire embers, of the joy on the children's faces while they sang along with it, a reminder of the fleeting nature of friendships, of the fragility of humanity, as well as the incredible feel and sound of a vintage instrument.
I have other instruments, but none that I "love" like I love this guitar.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I think the kind of thing people are talking about here is the opposite of our materialist problem: people are finding value based on experiences instead of monetary worth. I think the problem with the world is we always want sometuing new so we can throw all the old stuff away. Being setimental about a guitars, cheap or expensive, old or new, is pretty much opposite to society's "make it newer make it more expensive" artitude.

attitude I mean ha

^ HannahBeth - You are wiser beyond your years. Well said.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!