Topic: 6 string banjo

I reckon I need a banjo and I am thinking that a 6 string may be the way to go. This would save me learning new scales, tuning etc. in my old age. Has anyone had any thing to do with this style of banjo (ganjo)

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

2 (edited by tandm3 2011-09-23 02:50:12)

Re: 6 string banjo

Oy!  The six string banjo is just a guitar with a drum head attached.   The banjo is traditionally played in open G or open D tuning but there are many other tunings available, just like the guitar.  If I were to learn the banjo, I'd want to learn it in what might be considered the standard way of playing it.  Just my opinion though..

Now available in 5G !

I toyed with the idea of buying a 6 string banjo. Sure, I agree it's not really a banjo but it'd be a fun thing to have and play and no learning curve!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

4 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-09-25 19:23:22)

I have one.A dean.I love it but don`t get the use I thought I would out of it.Standard tuning.No other skills needed.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

JoeyJJ, I love your style! Is the 6 string banjo something you can play around the campfire for a few laughs? How different is it from a guitar. I am only looking for enjoyment and to sing a few songs, don't plan on anything professional, just fun.

All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Bushy,its a blast to play with.It looks just like a banjo with a guitar headstock.It feels wierd with the shape of the banjo body.Try one out first.Especially a dean.The necks on the dean steel body and 6 string banjo is a little different than their regular guitars.It has a raised area near the headstock that  takes some getting used to.I don`t know why it`s there.It just is.Oh and it is heavier than a guitar.Also you can play it around the campfire.It strums and fingerpicks great.And it is a lot more durable than it feels with the banjo head on it. Hope that helps you.Have a good one

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Go for it , They are dated to the late 1800s , Django learned on one of them . I got mine off the Bay , be prepared to pay for a decent bridge/saddle  and set up . they are great fun and louder than guitars .

Thanks for your comments folks. These banjos are not that easy to find second hand but I will keep looking. One will turn up some day.

All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

I played one and it was a blast. The man who owned it has a lot more experience than me with them and he says the Morgan Monroe  Indiana model is the way to go.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I bought a cheap one on Ebay a few years ago and was always a little disappointed with the sound. The high strings were OK but the bass sounded awful - more like a thud. One day, I was looking for some "Alternative Tunings" for the guitar and came across what I believe is called a "Nashville High tuning". It's basically the high octave strings from a 12 string guitar set, and the difference is remarkable.
Now it sounds like a banjo and is great to play. You get some interesting "Double notes" as the highest string is now the G string
Hope this helps

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

bushy243 wrote:

Thanks for your comments folks. These banjos are not that easy to find second hand but I will keep looking. One will turn up some day.

All the best
Bushy

rondomusic.com has them now and again. check them out. Chinese made but generally pretty good with an excellent returnpolicy.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I think a six string would be the way to go. I could be talked into one, I think.  It just seems like it would be easier with a small learning curve.  I love the banjo sound.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.