Topic: Big Hit with very little music/words

Gidday,

We where talking the other day about hits that have made singers rich,that had very little
going for it. eg very few words or chords  or the same one repeated.
some times they work really well though
can you think of any?

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Big Hit with very little music/words

Do you mean like "Working Class Hero"? It uses 3 chords (although
I only play it with 2- Am and G).

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-09-22 23:54:11)

"Orange Sky" by Alexi Murdoch   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymNd2JyS68

Beautiful tune in it's simplicity! Really, if you've never heard it, I'd recommend lending it an ear!

Chords and video tutorial here if anyone is interseted... http://chordie.com/chord.pere/www.beave … t=14591174

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

"Wild Thing" by the Troggs

The entire set list by George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers.  I heard GT interviewed one time and the interviewer said that his songs seem to all have the same groove and sound.  George Thorogood's response was, "I only know four chords.  What else do you expect me to do with that?"  It's a consistent sound - but a good one.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Excellent subject easybeat. I've thought about bringing it up before in the songwriters forum.  How much is too much or too little?  I've heard songs that would have been great had they been a verse or two shorter, but dragging it out just seems to bore the listener.

In my opinion one of the greatest songs ever written was "My Girl", recorded by the Temptations.  1st verse has only 17 words, 2nd verse 20 words, 3rd verse 18 words.  Chorus has only 18 words (unless you want to count 6 words used by the back-round singers) and the "turn" is just "Hey, Hey, Hey" sung twice.  Simple but effective and one of the most recognizable songs ever recorded.  I try to use the song as a "model" to try and condense my songs down to the basics while still getting the message across.  So far I've never even came close.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

The Surfaris -  Wipe Out

http://youtu.be/W5D07c0dJuQ

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I think almost any hit song by Pink Floyd would do the trick.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I think almost any hit song by Pink Floyd would do the trick.

Whoa! I was thinking more like "Shaft, can you dig it?"  I have an unreasonable respect for Pink Floyd, and that may be my problem, but I've always thought of their music as well thought out and intelligent.  Musically, I also find it to be fairly complex. But I might be a simpleton in this regard.

Now available in 5G !

How about I`m a tiger   by Lu Lu     hit in the 60`s

don`t think she does this one any more!

The King Of Audio Torture

With 4 chords and just 3 vocal notes "Knocking on Heaven's Door"

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Harry Nilsson's "Lime in the coconut" one chord - C7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO9eo

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

How about anything by System of a Down? The lyrics are repeated multiple times in every song which makes the songs easy to learn to sing. Now if I could play the guitar like he plays it...