Topic: how to build a stompbox

I don't know how familiar everyone is with these but they are a really cool addition for your acoustic or electric guitar. They have been around for years and give you the ability to add a thump thump sort of rythym. The materials you need are really basic and you may have them laying around. I built mine with maple plywood but you could use pine.     You need 2 pcs of 1/4 x 2 x 6      2pcs1/4 x2 x 13    2pcs 6 1/2 x 13   titebond wood glue   bar clamps   an old guitar pickup  (you can use a microphone but it's harder to mount it solid )  1/4 inch drill bit and drill  paint or stain and 4 felt pads. Assemble your box using the 2 inch pieces making sure your dimensions work out to 6 1/2 x 13 You can glue this up or add some 2'' cleats and small nails. Just make sure you keep everything square. Glue one of your 13" pcs to this frame. On the inside drill a 1/4" hole and install your jack and pickup. If you use a new pickup peel the paper off the back exposing the self stick surface. If needed you can use a little superglue to mount the pickup. make sure it's centered in the box. Next glue the top on and clamp everything together until dry.  Once dry sand it up, paint or stain it glue your felt pads to the bottom, plug it in and stomp away. A very easy project that with some practice will add a really cool effect to your performance. Keep rockin        Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: how to build a stompbox

Do you have any samples of the sound?

Also do you only use one jack or two?

4 (edited by bswyers 2011-09-30 22:33:16)

no but do a search on youtube for seasick steve. He uses these a lot although I don't know if his is amplified. The sound is similar to a bass drum or a floor tom  Just one jack to plug a 1/4 guitar cord into

OH OH OH...you stomp on it! I thought it was something you plug in to your guitar lawlz.

I guess I could have made that more clear.  Yeah it's strictly a rythym instrument. Also those dimensions aren't set in stone. You could make it larger if you wanted to. The dimensions I gave are large enough for your foot but small enough not to be in the way of any effect pedals you may use and make it easier to transport.

I get it. The pickup "picks up" the vibrations from you stomping on it. Very cool!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Bswyres, I really like your idea. Knew a professional guitarist who did a solo act who used a similar bass drum stomp pedal to great effect. That was the only effect he used but it made a huge difference.
It is natural to pat your foot along with your playing. The only drawback is that he played standing up only. Having most of his weight on his left foot while rocking his right foot on the stomp pedal got tiring after a while so he didn't use it for slow songs.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

NEAT-O!  That sounds like something I could do... I'm always stomping my foot when I get into a song, usually my kids ask me why (and I sometimes look at THEM like they're crazy).  LOL!  I did a youtube search just for stomp box and up came a ton of cigar box styles and others.  I don't think I'll be making one right way, but eventually this would be handy for me to play around with at home.  That Seasick Steve is pretty darn awesome too!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

If you're gonna stomp your foot anyway, you might as well enjoy some kick bass. :>)
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks Butch! I was thinking about making one of these (but had no idea), so you saved me from asking the question! I presume that the pickup is a piezo type - can you recommend any make/model?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

using a wood cigar box makes it super easy to build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGb0g-AGf64

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The pickup I used was an old single coil from some cheap guitar I bought at a yard sale some time ago. I don't even know what brand it was as it had been repainted and you couldn't see the manufacturers name. A piezo would probably work as well but I have no suggestions as to a maker or type

Ditto Guitarpix.  Any cigar store will sell you an empty box for $3 to $7.  A piezo pick up from radio shack will set you back $1.15 and a 1/4" phone jack is all you need.  Directions on what to do with that piezo pickup can be found at cigarboxnation.com for free.

Now available in 5G !