1 (edited by bensonp 2011-10-03 15:46:18)

Topic: Billy

Subject is supposed to read Billy Joel Cover. OK folks.  I got my new mics and USB mixer finally hooked up, but still have to learn how to adjust the mixer.  It wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but......  Recording is not for wimps, such as myself.  Especially not having editing experience, so I tend to just record mistakes and all.  Half way through the song, for the third time, my pick started slipping sideways and threw my strummimg off.  I worried about it to the end of the song.  Anyway, here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCqNu37Sd0

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: Billy

Nice job on one of my favorite songs. Pretty good on the mix. I know exactly what your saying about thinking about the pick slipping thing. I think about it all the way thru a recording and just near the end I finally stop to redo the whole thing. But keep going , your doing a great job at it. I hope one of these days to be able to put up a video myself.

Joe

Pete you sound super,you are doing a good job and should feel proud. I only heard your pick slide one time and you kept going. Ileft another message on u tube and subcribed too you.whichmixer did you get?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks guys.  I got the Alesis Multimix 4.  It seems to be doing the job, although I aven't tried changing any of the settings yet.  I don't know what each setting does yet either.  That will come with time, I suppose.  Yeah, it really messes me up when my pick turns sideways.  You don't get a good clean strum that way.  I am sure there is a way to turn your pick back straight, but I'm not that good yet.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by dino48 2011-10-04 01:02:50)

Pete I might have missed it if tysen7 had not said something. I think you are being kind hard on yourself,you play and sing well. How expensive was the mixer and where did you get it?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I didn't watch, only listened as I continued posting away here at Chordie.  I didn't notice any mess ups, although I wasn't looking for them.  Great job!  Needs a little more OOPH in the singing, which I know you can do... but dang, I don't think I could come close to playing that song.  GREAT JOB!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I would be honored to give you an unofficial "attaboy", Pete.
I liked it.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Way to go Pete!  Looks like the recording studio is "officially" in business.  I liked it and wouldn't have noticed the pick if you hadn't said anything.  Good job!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

I commend all of you for your kindness.  It is correct what they say, "You are your own worst critic.  I have learned alot about myself, watching my videos.  It really helps.  Mekidsmom, I know exactly what you mean by putting some umpf in my voice.  I have noticed that I sing lower than I should and I tend to play slower than I should.  I need to put a little zip in my songs. I am working on those issues.
Dino, the mixer cost $79 and the two MXL mics $100 at Amazon

I am glad too seesome of the other members feel the same as me.I wish I could sing,I would have some songs up by now. ( maybe I can talk mkm into singing a song I play). Thanks for the info on the mics and the mixer,is that mixer a usb plugin?Keep up the good work pete.

Nice job Pete, you done yourself proud.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Two thumbs up Pete! Nice to see you on a roll with all these songs.    Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

13 (edited by bensonp 2011-10-06 21:51:38)

I was thinking of X-Factor.  If I really try hard I might make it past the first cut.  Well maybe not.  Back to the grind stone.  Thanks again guys, for the positive reinforcement.
Dino, the mixer is USB.

a suggestion on pick slide/rotation,  used to have the same issue then found  COOL pics, at the local shop.  they have a felt texture or a sandpaper texture where the fingers set.  can be found on the internet as well.  also really like the tones they provide. Wouldn t have believed it years ago but the pick has quite a bit to do with the way the strings resonate.  PS there are times when i will use the side of the pick due to the warmer sound the fat corner of the pick provides.  never be afraid with trying different things.  our heros stumble onto things not planned and then have to learn what came naturally.  be who you are and own what you do.

may your strings sing you a light on those cold dark lonely nights
the only two things in life that make it worth living
guitars that tune good and strings that sing

Thanks for the tips davesworld. Maybe I just have to get over the uncomfortable feeling I get when the pick does turn.  It still works after all.  I'll look for those gritty picks in the mean time.

Sounds great Pete - keep it up!

Ah the pick turn. An old enemy of mine. smile I have a few suggestions...The picks Davesworld refers to are Dunlop Tortex or Dunlop Gator Grips. Those are the best picks money can buy. The grip really helps. In addition, you may try these things:

1. Wash your hands right before you play. I've found that nice clean fingers hold a pick better than dirty fingers. I like my fretting hand to be a bit slippery (particularly when I'm doing the sliding and position shifting associated with solos), so I wash and dry my hands and then re-lube my left hand or fretboard with Finger Ease. Gross alternative: if you're in a pinch (ie at a gig and making lots of fret noise or fingers start grabbing) you can run your left hand fingers over your scalp (unless you just took a shower) and that helps out just as well.

2. Practice with the pick turned backward and sideways so you are comfy if it happens.

3. My personal favorite: I keep my right rear pocket about 1/2 full with picks. If a pick turns, splits, falls to the ground or falls in the sound hole I just reach back, grab another pick and go!  I like this approach better than the mic stand pick holders - I went for a pick a bit too fast once and knocked my mic over. Felt like an a**hole and totally learned my lesson on that one.

Again, sounds great - keep it up!

I will try all these.  I just barely started using the piock a few months back.  I am already a lot more comfortable with it.  I have gotten used to using the smaller jazz picks, and a regular one feels like I'm holding a fan blade.  Thanks for the tips, Baldguitar dude.  i appreciate it.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Gross alternative: if you're in a pinch (ie at a gig and making lots of fret noise or fingers start grabbing) you can run your left hand fingers over your scalp (unless you just took a shower) and that helps out just as well.

sad probably only works if you ain't got hair and I am not shaving my head just for that lol

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Not having hair helps but you can still pull it off with hair...

Pete I'm just down the road in Vegas if you ever want to get together for a jam. smile

I appreciate that, bud.  As a matter of fact I was down there at the airport a couple of weeks ago.  Just dropping off and getting out of the mad rush.  I will definately give that a thought.  Thanks.

I'll be up in St George in the next month or so.

Hey, let me know.  You are certainly welcome to drop by.

Hiya Pete,
Just had a listen to Piano Man and some of the others (I'm listening to Runaround Sue right now. One of my favs) Your doing a great job on these. Keep it up smile Sounds and looks like you picked the right gear for recording. Nice!
Also some good tips on the slippery pick thing...I'll have to keep them in mind.

Cheers

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Three comments:

1. I liked the mix.  If you haven't adjusted anything yet, don't bother.
2. I think you did a good job and didn't notice the pick slip.
3. Gorilla snot for your picks.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Pete, a slipping pick tip. I use the wifes hot tongs (hair roller). Place the pick, wide end, in the roller and give it a few seconds. This bends the pick pretty much to suit your index finger. If you are a bit nervous about the pick melting and sticking to the roller, wrap the pick in a bit of tissue paper first.
Tip #2, better done when the hot tongs owner is not at home.
Keep up the great work on your recordings Pete, I look forward to seeing your new posts on u-tube.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"