Topic: Instruments you wish you could play

I only can play the guitar, and I can only play on the low side of adequately in my opinion. I wish I could play every other instrument that's out there. There are some songs that I listen to and think to myself, "Man, I wish I could play that." If I had to pick 2 instruments, I would say, the banjo and piano are the other two instruments that I wish I could play. Both are able to come up with such emotional music that just tugs at my heart. The violin is another, but I set the limit to two so I’m sticking to it. Anyone else?

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Instruments you wish you could play

piano, cello

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I would like to play banjo and fiddle.  That would be neat.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

By "play" do you mean as good (or bad) as one can play guitar or being actually proficient?

I would say piano and drums

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I only ever wanted to play a guitar, and have several 6 string accoustics, a 12 string acc. and 2 elecs.
Then I bought a mandolin because I wanted one. Having a lot of fun with it although my big fat fingers and skinny mando necks just don't seem to be meant for one another.
I now want a banjo and will probably get a 6 string type. (any comment on these)?

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

6 (edited by Buzzwagon 2011-09-22 20:23:50)

Piano and a fiddle, and Mrs Buzzwagon plays both! Put frets in front of her though and she's lost.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Banjo and fiddle.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I play bass and guitar and play at the harmonica.  If I were to add two instruments to that they would be the fiddle and the mandolin.  I also have a desire for Celtic style reed flute, but there's no need to be greedy. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by dino48 2011-09-23 01:23:18)

I started out with wind insterments,I think I would like too play saxaphone and trumput. I really wish I could sing good more then anything.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I started my life as a bass player, Currently, I play guitar, dobro (in E and G tuning) and some mandolin..  I really wish I played mandolin better. Yeah, I know, practice, practice, practice...I have a very brief introduction to banjo but I wish I knew more of that. I wish I could play slide in standard tuning on guitar.. That seems really hard to me for some reason.  I don't have a dulcimer but I want one and I want to be able to play it.   The point is.. Just in the world of fretted stringed instruments, there are so many options that the choices are almost staggering.  Lately, I've developed a fascination for more primitive stringed instruments.  I'm playing cigar box guitars now. These are 3 or 4 stringed instruments that are tuned in open tuning and played in any number of ways.  The cool thing about these is the lessons that one can learn when limited to 3 or 4 strings but still want to play whole songs.  These are fascinating instruments that form the core of modern rock and blues and really need to be explored further.

Now available in 5G !

Piano, for sure. So many pubs around here have an old piano in the corner - I would quite like to be one of those cool guys who can just sit down and bash out a tune. Have always liked the idea of drumming, too, but just not practical in terms of space/noise. That reminds me - must look into getting a Cajon! Drummers always seem to be in demand - well, good ones, anyway...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Piano.  I've always had a really strong love for them and to this day I find it very VERY difficult to resist the temptation of opening up the Key cover and plunking away every time I see one, no matter WHERE it is.  I do however, because all I can do is plunk out a basic melody.  When I was about 4 my grandma taught me how to play a couple kids songs (twinkle twinkle) on her Organ, and before she passed away she gave me that organ.  I tried to learn how to play it but still never really got much further than plunking and so I retired the thought of ever learning more on the piano.  The Organ has since also passed away.  Grandma could read music a little, but she mostly played by listening and man could she play some good OLD songs!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I wish I could play the "GUITAR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bass guitar and drums.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Piano is one of the ones I would like to play, but my focus is the acoustic guitar.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

I would like to play the garboon. I can't describe what it is but it makes a really purty sound if you hit it just right.
I would NOT like to play the swinenet which consists of stringing a cat gut across a pig's hind end and you have to pick it with your teeth. OOGIE! sad

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Organ and piano

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I would like to play the garboon. I can't describe what it is but it makes a really purty sound if you hit it just right.
I would NOT like to play the swinenet which consists of stringing a cat gut across a pig's hind end and you have to pick it with your teeth. OOGIE! sad

In  Appalachia Ohio, the swinet is better known as the hogadiddy. (and 2 strings are strung across the hog's arse)

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Guitar speaks to me best, but I also play ukelele, some mandolin, I make strange tunes on my dulcimer, and odd noises on my harmonica and melodica.

fiddle.. odd thing is, I can sort of play a mandolin and its the same thing in a way but its still way different.

Now available in 5G !

piano, harmonica, an possibly the banjo

Oh, and I almost forgot: guitar!

(Irish) Uilleann Pipes. Similar in some ways to Scottish bagpipes but sweeter and very mournful.

Pedal steel.

I would like to be able to play the concert harp - but since thats way out of my league, I'd settle for the banjo and fiddle.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".