Topic: Most Influential Musician

After watching my 49ers beat the Tampa Bay Bucs 48-3 to go 4-1 "which has absolutely nothing to do with this post, I just wanted to get that in there". I started thinking, keep in mind that this habit of mine "thinking" generally leads to taking a couple of Excedrin, but again, different story.

I got to thinking who is the most influential Musician of all time, not just of us in the older Chordie generation or younger Chordie generation, or even 10 generations ago, but of all generations, from Mozart, to Hank Williams and Willie Nelson to Bob Dylan and Neil Young to The Rolling Stones and Led Zepplin to todays modern music such as "and I hate to even include them in this list but people like Lady GaGa and Katie Perry to Justin Bieber". "Forgive me Music Gods for even including them in this list, but just trying to include all, you get the point

It's a hard pick for me, and I'm not sure there's even a correct answer, but after lots of thinking about it and 2 Excedrin, I've decided at least in my mind it's Bob Dylan. So, who do you think it is?

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Most Influential Musician

Interesting question.

All time influential? Jacopo Peri, and his contemporaries.  They ushered in the baroque period which gave us our modernized diatonic scales and keys.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

3 (edited by dino48 2011-10-10 01:01:57)

I belive it is Bob Dylan after That Robert Johnson. The 49ers looked awesome today!! and Jeromes seahawks Beat the Giants.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Elvis, Buddy Holley, Ray Charles, The Beatles, Cream, Dylan, Hendrix.....

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow what a question!!!!

You have to go with your Beethoven or Mozart, Elvis, The Beatles, Robert Johnson, Funk Brothers, Black Sabbath, Nirvana (as much as I hate to put them on this list), and looks like Lady Gaga is labeled as such.

So many influential artists throughout history.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

It may not be anyone on a list. Actually, it would be the first being that pounded on a tree with a stick or a rock. That in itself would constitute music, and therefore during evolution it would continue to change and be what music is today. As far as the "modern era" any of the classical masters would have to be on a very short list. The Bob Dylan's, Beatles, etc. are nothing more than the continuing evolution of music, but I do enjoy Mr. B.B. King.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Interesting question.

All time influential? Jacopo Peri, and his contemporaries.  They ushered in the baroque period which gave us our modernized diatonic scales and keys.  smile

Without earlier advocates of equal temperament we'd not have those scales, at least as we know them today. Also, the blues (foundation of much of modern rock) is based around a note that does not exist in modernized diatonic scales and keys...

I have been thinking (Saints, 4-1 over the Carolina Panthers) that influential music sources have to be divided into two groups:
General - influences like Peri, Mozart, Dylan etc...           and
Personal - people in our own lives who tripped our musical triggers in a most stimulating way.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Was Mozart influential as a musician?

Pythagoras, who brought us the 12 tone chromatic scale.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Baldguitardude wrote:

Was Mozart influential as a musician?

Off the top of my head, I was going to say Bach... I did a little QUICK research and found:

Mozart said of Bach, "He is the father, we are the children".
Hayden studied Bach.
Beethoven thought highly of Bach's "genius"

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I think the most influential musician to me was Richard Burton only because when I heard him backup Ricky Nelson I was really impressed with his fills and that was when I started getting serious about playing leads and music I was around 20 at the time and this Thursday it will be 50 years ago time flies. on a unrelated note I was watching a special on Steve Jobs he was giving a speech at a college graduation class he quipped "everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there"brilliant to the end smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

get bach....to where you once belonged??????????

music is the global language................ everyone needs to speak and hear.

Baldguitardude wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Interesting question.

Without earlier advocates of equal temperament we'd not have those scales, at least as we know them today. Also, the blues (foundation of much of modern rock) is based around a note that does not exist in modernized diatonic scales and keys...

We are at risk of a teleological conundrum here.  We can go all the way back to those cave men banging rocks with sticks!  Where would we be without them?

I'm curious about the note that doesn't exist in modern diatonic scales and keys, though.

Zurf wrote:

Pythagoras, who brought us the 12 tone chromatic scale.

Now yer talkin'!

I was suggesting that perhaps mozart and bach are more influential as composers, not musicians.

Jerome the note in blues that we play as a flatted third has an origin roots in field work songs where the blue note was less than a semi-tone flat of a natural third. We interpret it as a b3 because of how western music theory is notated (and because of fixed pitch instruments) but the origin of the note that makes up the blues scale is more like 1/2 way between a b3 and a natural 3.

18 (edited by jerome.oneil 2011-10-12 17:01:01)

Baldguitardude wrote:

I was suggesting that perhaps mozart and bach are more influential as composers, not musicians.

I would agree with this for the most part.   Both were reputed to be monsters on the keys, but it's their compositions that live on.  Franz Liszt suffers the same ignominious fate.  Lack of recording technology really ruined a lot of old world rock star's reputations.  smile

I would argue Rachmaninoff is the most influential composer and musician in that regard.  We have recordings of him, and he is a master with both the pen and the key.

Jerome the note in blues that we play as a flatted third has an origin roots in field work songs where the blue note was less than a semi-tone flat of a natural third. We interpret it as a b3 because of how western music theory is notated (and because of fixed pitch instruments) but the origin of the note that makes up the blues scale is more like 1/2 way between a b3 and a natural 3.

So if I understand, the minor third in blues as originally sung in the fields was really sort of "flatted and a half" and we only play it minor due to the diatonic nature of modern music?

I suppose that makes sense. The music stemming from the African origins of slaves would lend itself to whatever modes African music is built on.  I don't know much about the theory behind African music, but  I would imagine that carnatic like scales with more than 12 tones would be in play.

Learn something new every day!

Bob Kiloran. The man who taught me to play.He`s gone now.Died young but he instilled on me patience,humor and understanding while teaching me.I never became a master on guitar but he will always be remembered.  Thanx Bob.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

@Jerome: It was more like 1/2 way between flatted and natural. The quote in this wiki article is a decent summary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_note

Rachmaninoff was a frickin' stud.

Quick tangent on non-western theory:
I studied folk music of Lao river people for a college music thesis. During the course of study I learned that their scale was very very close to our major scale, with a few differences. They don't think in terms of scales and their instruments are always tuned by ear. So the instrument (called a khaen or caen) has a scale that is close to our major scale in terms of intervals but there was no common tuning, i.e. a440.

Because the instruments are hand tuned by their maker and made from pretty cheap materials (long pieces of river grass and old melted down Thai coins), the intervals were tuned inconsistency relative to how we hear music...so some notes would be off by a few cents in either direction.

At any rate, the tuning was close enough that I was able to transcribe a portion of the Lomax Anthology of American Folk Music for playing on this instrument, using a system of notation that I developed for the instrument.

What is really fascinating is that these river people developed this music and this modality with no influence from the west.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe2O_KaDkrk

Baldguitardude wrote:

At any rate, the tuning was close enough that I was able to transcribe a portion of the Lomax Anthology of American Folk Music for playing on this instrument, using a system of notation that I developed for the instrument.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/big_bowdown.gif

I got no audio on my werk computer, but I'll check that out when I get home.

wink

It was either that or take a bunch of science and math electives.