Topic: A little information please

I'm getting some GAS symptoms and wonder if anyone has heard of or owns a Kona guitar. I've been checking them out on line and like the looks and the materials they're made with. They seem to be a pretty nice guitar for the price but with out actually being able to play one (no local dealers) I'm kind of taking a shot in the dark. I'm leaning towards an acoustic-electric model so I have some options. And as some can guess I'm looking for a lefty model. (Not much faith as to my hand healing in a manner that I can continue to play right handed) Not that left or right would make any difference in quality, just explaining my reasons for needing a new guitar when I already own six. Anyhow, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks    Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: A little information please

Hi Bswyers,I have never heard of them maybe some of the other members will see this and help you. You should give your hand some time,I know phys therpy for hand takes a long  time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You could change the bridge and nut on one of your others.

I've casually strummed a few Kona's and they sounded pretty good for the money... The ones I tried were in the 150-200 buck range. Bang for buck rating would be a 7 on a scale of 1-10 imo... I haven't tried any of their other models.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have heard of them but know nothing about them.Maybe you should try Harmony cemtral and see if there are any reviews on them.Good luck with everything.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

5 (edited by NELA 2011-10-17 12:28:33)

bswers, I feel you pain and understand how you want to get back into playing. I have suffered 4 surgeries on my hands (2 on each) due to trigger finger and will probaly have to suffer another on on my right hand in the near future. My right hand just will not function in a manner that will allow mw to fingerpick, so that's out for me. With my left hand I have no problems forming chords - can even make the E and A shape barr chords reasonably well but the  C, D and G shapes I cannot do. With my hand conditions and my age I don't know if I could ever learn to play left handed. From your posts, I see that's what you want to do and I hope you well. But I do want to relate another option to you. I know a guy who plays with this feller who lost a couple of fingers on his fretting hand. So the story goes he tried going lefty but gave up after a short time. What he did do was learn to play a steel guitar and a dobro. From what I was told this was very easy for him to pick up and he is A Very GOOD player, now.  Just a thought for another option to get you back into the music world. Best of luck.

Nela

Hey Butch, Sorry for your setback. I don't have much info at the moment but will shortly. I do own a Kona. I bought
it in a pawn shop while working in Texas some 5 years ago. A reddish color(pretty) cut away, acoustic, not a/c. Got
back home after a couple weeks and during a conversation with my brother he expressed a desire to learn guitar so
I loaned it to him. Can't remember the model but it played well enough and was constructed good and for around a
$100 it seemed a good deal at the time. I haven't seen it in 5years! He has put maybe 1 hour into practicing in 5 yrs.

So I think it is time to get it back and re-check it out. I will let you know more. Hope things work.     Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

I owned a Kona K2 for a few years.  Not a bad guitar, sounded pretty good as an acoustic and also nice when amped.  Straight neck, tuners kept strings in tune pretty well, frets weren't rough or had any of the problems associated with cheap guitars.  However, the intonation was off a little and I had to re-tune whenever I used a capo.

Have you thought about trying a tenor guitar?  Chords only need to be formed with a couple fingers and it seems like it would be easier to play for those with arthritis or suffering from hand injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/user/macdige?ble … hjsfK69S3w

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hey as always,Chordie members come through. I appreciate the alternative suggestions but I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a lefty. I'm still going to try to get back where I was before playing right handed but I've actually been considering doing this for some time. I lost my pinkie about twelve years ago and have been half frustrated since then because of not being able to form some chords or having to play 7th's or minors instead of the proper chord. If I can't play right handed,oh well. All 5 of my kids play at various levels of ability so they can inherit the right handed guitars. As far as learning lefty, the knowledge is there,it's a matter of muscle memory and as I'm a fairly stubborn person,I really think I can do this. Thanks again guys      Butch

Getting back to ya Butch. Went to my brothers today and got the Kona back. I really just wanted to look at it

but he insisted I take it back cause he just can't get into it now. So--now I know why I let him use it. It's not

that good of a guitar. Made in China, has absolutely no model# anywhere on it. Has a Kona acoustic sticker

at the sound hole and Logo on the headstock. If set up right it might be a better guitar but ...? This one is

probably their lowest end model. Pretty tho!:)         Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Thanks papaguitar. The Kona's not set in stone as I've been kind of shopping around looking at different brands. I was attracted to the Kona because of looks and price, but I think I'll take a run to Pittsburgh and checkout Guitar Center and play a few before I decide. The only thing set in stone is it will be an electric/acoustic. Thanks again for the input. Butch

11 (edited by ndrewoods 2011-11-20 14:31:51)

bswyers wrote:

I'm getting some GAS symptoms and wonder if anyone has heard of or owns a Kona guitar. I've been checking them out on line and like the looks and the materials they're made with. They seem to be a pretty nice guitar tutorial for the price but with out actually being able to play one (no local dealers) I'm kind of taking a shot in the dark. I'm leaning towards an acoustic-electric model so I have some options. And as some can guess I'm looking for a lefty model. (Not much faith as to my hand healing in a manner that I can continue to play right handed) Not that left or right would make any difference in quality, just explaining my reasons for needing a new guitar when I already own six. Anyhow, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks    Butch

I have been playing guitar for almost 7 years now and I have tried to play one Kona guitar back then, it was my roommate's guitar. The guitar is completely teal in color except for the bindings and is simply beautiful. And honestly, it plays fantastic! Well that doesn't mean the one that I'm talking about is possibly the one the you would be buying, but more likely you will be very happy with it.