Topic: Epiphone Acoustic Guitars

I am looking at an Epiphone AJ-100 CE NA guitar to buy and would like some advice from owners or anyone who knows them on their quality, sound, action high or low etc. Thanks

Re: Epiphone Acoustic Guitars

With all respect to Epiphone, it'll be hit or miss. The quality varies quite a bit on the low and mid tier. And it's not just Epi that's guilty of this. Probably made in China; they're all hit or miss. If you play it and it "feels" good; go for it. If you're ordering over the internet, I'd advise you not to....spend an extra 20.00 and get your hands on it...

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I support Geo's comments above. Go into a guitar shop and play all the guitars in your price range. You will know the guitar for you as soon as you play it. Dont get to hooked up on brand names, there are many alteratives out there in the same price bracket as Epi's. I am thinking Ibanez as I type. Just my thoughts.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

I recently purchased an Epi DR-100. Don't know how it compares to the AJ-100. But it's a good beginner guitar. It's not mine personally as I purchased it for a group of kids. I don't think I would keep it in my arsenal, but that's just me. IMO you can't go wrong with a Yamaha.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice and you are right about buying over the internet, not a good idea. A friend of mine did and the seller had cut down the bridge saddle to almost level with the bridge to lower the action.

My niece bought a black Epiphone acoustic. I don't like it.
Black paint hides the wood grain. I heard guitar manufacturers paint guitars with lousy wood black to hide the imperfections.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I have a DR 150 -- From the reviews I've read, it's a needle in a haystack pick.  At the store, it was the ONE guitar out of tune and set in an area that didn't lend itself to good sales.  Apparently most people have had major problems with them and they generally sound bad.  Two of my tuners started coming loose a bit, and I fixed em up with some wood glue and toothpicks.  For under $200, I like it (although sometimes wish I had a smaller guitar).  It's all laminate... hence the black, but don't always count on that.  The Little Martin looks like beautiful wood, but it's just a picture glued onto the front of high pressure laminate.  Someday I'll go for a higher end guitar when I have the money, but in my opinion I'm going to have to go closer to the 1K mark to get a sound and play I really want.  Absolutely try them out and buy with your heart, fingers, and ears not just your wallet and reviews.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zakk Wylde uses epiphone acoustics. He says the action on them is really good.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I have posted this before in other threads but....

Last year my wife bought me an Epi PR-4E A/E for my birthday. She knows NOTHING of guitars ( I don't know much myself) but she got it for me in a package. She had help from the guitar guy at Best Buy and she was looking for something cheap. The whole package with the guitar, amp, strap, DVD, tuner and picks was 199.99.

I am very happy with my wife's serendipitous gift. The guitar is very nice looking and the sound is great. It has a shallower body so it is not as full as a dreadnought but when I go play with my brother (who owns a Gibson dreadnought that he bought for 1k 20 years ago) he would rather play mine than his. I would rather play mine than his.

I am sure there are better guitars out there but I am very, very happy with my cheap Epi.

I went to our local Acoustic Music Club last night and I was shown an Epiphone AJ 220 SCE which looked and sounded good. It was an electric acoustic with a cutaway body. Still looking at this stage and also looking at other brands. My son has lent me his Delta brand until I find one, which is 35 years old and still in good shape. That is the guitar, not my son, he is 47 years old and in good shape.

I have played several epiphone acoustics,at guitar center and friends,I have alwaysfound them too be a good playing/sounding less expensive guitar. If I did not have my Yamaha I would buy one.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Looking at a Samick Greg Bennett D7CE [Beaumont Series] with a solid cedar top. Any thoughts. Thanks.

The two qualities of an acoustic guitar (has been said) are Sound and Playability.  Instrument makers must cut corners to bring down the cost for the budget guitars.  But we can enhance a cheaper guitar by changing those "cut corners" - change to a better nut and saddle; adjust string action; maybe even change to better tuning machines.  These changes will affect Sound, too (not only playability), but it only makes sense to do this if the player enjoys the Sound first of all.

Live to play, play to live!

Epiphone MasterBuilt
I have one, very good sounding guitar

I have had my eye on the EL-00 for quite some time now (on the internet). I have yet to find one in any of the music stores in my area. Anyone out there own one or have played one.

what a long strange trip it's been

A friend has a rosewood dreadnought Masterbuilt and it's one of the best sounding and easiest playing guitars I've ever played, regardless of price.  I've thought pretty hard about a Masterbuilt EF 500RA - I've read a lot of rave reviews from those who own them.

As for the Samick Greg Bennetts - I've never played one that I didn't like, having played a dozen or more different models in music stores. Not as sweet as as Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, etc, yet a good bargain for the money.

Still, I think Blueridge is the best bang for the buck of anything I've played.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs