76 (edited by christopaul 2010-12-13 14:45:15)

Re: What's the hardest chord you ever encountered?

Iron Finger wrote:

Normally for me any chord is really easy, including the barre chords, but the chords that really give me a pain in the neck are the movable chords (used mostly for jazz) On chord in particular is th Gm11 movable chord:

e--x--
B--1--
G--3--
D--3--
A--x--
E--3--

Its might not seem difficult, but there are alot more of those!!!

Have a look at this lesson from Justin guitars. He describes this shape as Min 7th/b5th.

Take your time and learn these few chords. Save the link and keep coming back to it. I found this lesson very useful.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/JA-001-J … Chords.php

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Hmmm, lots of interesting stuff on here.

I have nailed the "F" chord (although not overally fast at getting there yet), but the "B" is beyond me at the moment.  I have seen lots of talking about "cheating" around here, and I like the cut of that jib smile

Can anybody explain in simple terms to to cheat on the "B" without using a Barre chord?  Cheers.

Play an F and slide it up to the 7th fret. just play 4 strings or 5 if you play the 3rd fret on the 3rd string.

79 (edited by ozymandias 2010-12-13 16:06:59)

Yes, sliding down or up on the fret board is a good way to "cheat" on different chords.  My teacher has shown me several types, it works and is far less frustrating to deal with.  smile

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

It's not cheating. It's knowing your way around your fret board.

Jazz players will have learnt the E. Em, E7th. min7th, maj7th, e.t.c but think of it as a starting point for a progression. A I,IV,V (1 4 5 ) Could be E A B. Slide up to your 3rd fret it becomes G C D. but it is still a 1,4,5 progression.

christopaul wrote:

Jazz players will have learnt the E. Em, E7th. min7th, maj7th, e.t.c but think of it as a starting point for a progression. A I,IV,V (1 4 5 ) Could be E A B. Slide up to your 3rd fret it becomes G C D. but it is still a 1,4,5 progression.

I stand corrected. wink  And your right, my teacher is showing me how to use the fret board to my playing skill advantage.  And going beyond the comfort zone of regular chord changes.  Thats not cheating, but it's fun to say it anyway.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

christopaul wrote:

Exactly.  I don't like the notion that somehow you're getting away with something because you know several ways to fret a chord.  It implies that there is only one "proper" voicing.

You *should* know several ways to fret a chord.  That should be a goal. It's not cheating, it's how you win.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Tough one now is the F6. Dmaj7 is a blast!

And if you want to play a B, get a capo on the 2nd fret and play an A shape.

ttunez wrote:

Tough one now is the F6. Dmaj7 is a blast!

And if you want to play a B, get a capo on the 2nd fret and play an A shape.

Thanks.

{notes down for future reference}

A/C# I think is what gave my such a bad mood... Haha! I was learnigng Mama's Song (Underwood). Never got it mastered...

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Anything that gets close to the guitar body....my big sausage fingers just wont fit....

My ambition far exceeds my ability

I agree with everybody about the cursed B chord. Been playing for at least 12 years now, mastered just about every other basic chord including the more obscure ones, but I still firmly believe that B really stands for Bastard.

goonerandy wrote:

Can anybody explain in simple terms to to cheat on the "B" without using a Barre chord?  Cheers.

Here I am ultra lazy.

eadgbe
xx4442

Of course I also cheat using the more bassy route, it just depends on what state of mind I am in or what song I'm playing. I still never really play the full chord today, although over time it has become a bit easier. I've nearly cracked it but I just can't seem to cross that finish line right now.

I also cheat with the Bm. Basically it works just like a D, but also using your little finger on the 4th string, 4th fret.

eadgbe
xx4232

I still do have a lot of bother with barre chords, although F and Fm I completely nailed years ago, and thus also (similar like the F) most other E shape major/minor barre chords have become a doddle for me now too.

Here's a really nice chord I often like using - Fsus2.

eadgbe

It works lovely with C, F and G smile

88 (edited by bunbun 2011-12-13 20:52:57)

I, like Zurf, had issues with the B chord until I was trying to learn the barre chords for some songs I am learning. I found that if I barred most of the chords the changes would be smoother. One day, while learning "Feel like making love" (Bad company) I mistakenly nailed the "D" barre. It is done the same way as the "B" but on the fifth fret. I then slid down to a "C" (done the same way) and, naturally, to the "B" (The song does not use the "B" but I had to try it).

On the barre "D" I barre the fifth fret and lay the side of my ring finger down on the "D","G" and "B" strings of the seventh fret. Now when I play "Beer For My Horses" or " I Love this Bar" I can play both songs with just barre chords and they flow much better. It is also very easy to go from a barre "A" to the "D" just by laying the ring finger down and lifting the pinky and ring fingers.

Many evil things seem to make your life simpler.  It's how they get you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm still working on B chords, but, since I am a stubborn son of a gun.  I'll keep working at it!

Getting better at A/C#1 smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I hate the Fchord. Thats all i am saying on that one.

B chords still baffle me!  But, I'm getting there, slowly, painfully OY

The B and F chords but got them down ok now. George Harrison has some strange chords look at some of his songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The Beatles loved B Chords.   A lot of their tunes have one or more B's in them.

96 (edited by bunbun 2012-05-11 06:17:32)

billsteffen64 wrote:

I hate the Fchord. Thats all i am saying on that one.

If you know how to shape the E chord you can slide right down to the F. Remember not to use your index finger on the E,  then slide down to the F position and lay the index finger down to make the barre. Stay in that shape  slide down to the second fret and you get an Fm. Keep the shape and slide down to the third fret and you get a G. Fifth fret is an A and so on...Once you know a shape of a barre you can just slide up and down the fret board to get the notes you want. You can do the same thing with the Am chord shape and barre your way down the fret board that way.

Once you get comfortable with the barre's you will find it much easier to use the barres no matter what position the chord is. After you learn a song in open chords learn how to play it with barre chords. The sound is different enough that if you have another player doing opens you can barre and get a good harmony type sound going.

The hardest thing about the barre's is that it tends to tire your hand out. The more you use them the less your hand becomes fatigued.

For myself learning barre's opened up a whole different aspect of playing. Be patient and you will find a whole new world of guitar out there.

I'm not too experienced, and until recently, the Bb was the hardest chord for me. I've been working a long time on "City of New Orleans" by Steve Goodman, and there's a part of the song that goes--  Em7  A7   Bb  C -- and when I tried to go from A7 to Bb the City of New Orleans turned into a train wreck. But now, after months and months, I can finally do it without the chord sounding muted and icky. I feel happy!

Bb was a pain, but I always thought F was worse. A/C# is still the hardest I've done.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

ozymandias wrote:

The Beatles loved B Chords.   A lot of their tunes have one or more B's in them.

B is a mutants only chord.  There is little question about whether George Harrison was a mutant.  He was, and therefore, B-capable.  Long live the mutants!

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

M.B. wrote:

I'm not too experienced, and until recently, the Bb was the hardest chord for me. I've been working a long time on "City of New Orleans" by Steve Goodman, and there's a part of the song that goes--  Em7  A7   Bb  C -- and when I tried to go from A7 to Bb the City of New Orleans turned into a train wreck. But now, after months and months, I can finally do it without the chord sounding muted and icky. I feel happy!

Just do a walkup from A to C.  That's how I cheat that. 

I've been working on an acoustic version of "Magic Carpet Wide", which has a Bb in it, which I play as a Bbm7.  It works OK.  Not great.  The second time on the Bb I just do a quick riff on it instead of strumming.  That'll teach it. 

- Zurf