Re: Would You Buy a Folding Guitar?

JD Blackwell wrote:
Zurf wrote:
JD Blackwell wrote:

guitarists like Dirty Ed and myself live in a world that's often far removed from the chair and music stand at home.

I don't know much about you, but I do myself a favor by trying not to think about the world Dirty Ed lives in.  Physically, it's the same as ours.  But in other ways... not so much.  smile

If you ever saw a guitar strapped to the back of my '69 Shovelhead bobber you might think a little more highly of Dirty Ed <g>

I have nothing but the highest regard and affection for Dirty Ed.  His paddling, fishing, songwriting, and picking skills are all far beyond my own.  His willingness to get out and do what pleases him is something to which I aspire.  But none of that means he's not just a little bit crazy.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

JD Blackwell wrote:

Barndoor61, if the issue is "performance" then I'd have to assert that any sized Rainsong or Composite Acoustics will eat the lunch of any of the VoyageAires.  I would further assert that the bridge placement on 12 fret guitars makes for a much better sound. If the goal is to put guitars in more places that they currently aren't practical then a OO or parlor sized composite folder would open up a whole 'nother niche. Believe me, if I had a talent for attracting venture capital or won the MegaLotto that guitar would be out there. It wouldn't just be selling in guitar shops either. Boat stores, outdoor outfitters, motorcycle shops and a host of other outlets would be fair game because guitarists like Dirty Ed and myself live in a world that's often far removed from the chair and music stand at home.

JD: Right on.  But you're talking about something that might be, or could be, instead of something you can buy right now.

Right now, today, you can get a full-size acoustic guitar from Voyage-Air that works, folds in half, and includes a rugged backpack case for less than $400.  A composite version of the same would easily cost $1,000 more.  Me? I'm just jammin with my Voyage-Air, that I have right here at my side.  It just works.

I'm a student in Butte County, California. I attend Butte College which is locate about 12 miles southeast of Chico, CA and 12 miles northwest of Oroville, CA. this makes for a difficult commute if you are a starving student with no car! Thank goodness they have an excellent bus system. Anyway, I've wanted to learn how to play guitar all my life. I've been playing violin and fiddle for most of it and the guitar seemed a natural second instrument for me. I got a lot of advice about what should be my first guitar and I looked at them all either online or in local stores.

A friend of mine turned me on to the Voyage Air and, at first I wasn't sure it would be a good enough instrument (whenever possible, I like to buy the best quality my budget will allow) but after going to their website and then driving down to a store in Sacramento to actually play one, I decided it was the right one for me.

This guitar is awesome. The tone is just as good as a classmate's Martin D-16 and He's stuck with a canvas case that straps to his back and has the neck sticking straight up! He's kind of a tall guy so going through the classroom doors he has to duck! I have a Voyage Air VAOM-04BK. I got it for the size and the price (about $499 and no ducking required).

Not only can I easily take it where I want but it doesn't weigh very much compared to some guitars in their cases, and more often than not, when I pull it out of its case and unfold the neck, the darn thing is almost entirely in tune! Even my instructor likes to pick it up after class and play it. He's actually thinking of getting one himself.

So far, I haven't had the opportunity to play in public so I can't speak to its stage-worthiness, but for the money i spent I got a great sounding guitar with a killer case that perfectly fits my life.

Wow.  Sounds like a Voyage-Air could be a good campfire guitar.  So, right after I buy that D-15M and the arch-top, and learn to play blues, I may have to get a Voyage-Air.  The sad part is that I could get all these guitars if I sold a bass that I haven't played in years, but I can't bring myself to part with it.  The things a beauty.  I've been offered thousands for it - cash on the spot - and have turned it down.  I may be a dumb-*** but I love my instruments more than I love money.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Get a hold of yourself, Zurf.  Let it go and buy some of those others you have been eyeing for so long.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf: over the years, I've kicked myself for parting with various instruments. I still have my student violin from the 4th grade, and my first decent classical guitar from when I was in middle school.  If gone, no amount of money could replace them.  As long as money isn't an issue... keep that bass.

BadjerJim wrote:
JD Blackwell wrote:

Barndoor61, if the issue is "performance" then I'd have to assert that any sized Rainsong or Composite Acoustics will eat the lunch of any of the VoyageAires.  I would further assert that the bridge placement on 12 fret guitars makes for a much better sound. If the goal is to put guitars in more places that they currently aren't practical then a OO or parlor sized composite folder would open up a whole 'nother niche. Believe me, if I had a talent for attracting venture capital or won the MegaLotto that guitar would be out there. It wouldn't just be selling in guitar shops either. Boat stores, outdoor outfitters, motorcycle shops and a host of other outlets would be fair game because guitarists like Dirty Ed and myself live in a world that's often far removed from the chair and music stand at home.

JD: Right on.  But you're talking about something that might be, or could be, instead of something you can buy right now.

Right now, today, you can get a full-size acoustic guitar from Voyage-Air that works, folds in half, and includes a rugged backpack case for less than $400.  A composite version of the same would easily cost $1,000 more.  Me? I'm just jammin with my Voyage-Air, that I have right here at my side.  It just works.

Perhaps even a *should* be. I look at it not only from the perspective of a guitarist that wishes he had something to play in more of the places he finds himself in but from the standpoint of seeing the huge business opportunity of an unfilled niche. I'll try not to sound too awfully snobby but there aren't very very few $400 guitars I'd waste my time or money on. My priorities are in a place where I'd rather play a $10,000 guitar than drive a new car. Likewise the guitarist who sails a 35' sailboat, flies a small private plane or rides a $30,000 Harley isn't going to choke at $1500 for a guitar he can take anywhere. Hell, if Harvey was making one off composite 12 fret OO's I bet alot of people would be lining up at $5000. There's a market out there that nobody is tapping because he VoyageAire I can buy right now isn't serving the wants, needs and desires of guitarists who happen to have interests beyond the fingerboard.

33 (edited by naolslager 2011-10-22 11:53:36)

To answer my own question: I cannot buy a folding guitar. Despite the raves of the Voyageair I just could never purchase one.
For travel I just bought a RK 0-sized guitar. What a delight and later today I'll be able to tell you if it fits in the overhead bin of a commercial airplane as I'm flying to Germany.

I was inreested to see how they worked and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVdmNlpXxEo

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

That's pretty good Roger.  Gives us a sense of how it works,  It still seems unnatural though.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

After reading these posts and checking out their website I have to say I'm impressed by the ingenuity but still have to wonder how these would hold up to years of use. The fact that all that holds the neck in position is a stud through the strap button makes me cautious. That is a lot of tension being held by a relatively small screw. And what happens as the wood and glue age,is that anchor point in the heel going to slip out or spin in the heel preventing you from getting the neck seated tight? At this point more questions than answers for me. I would like to  play one and be able to examine the construction more closely. I'm not saying I'd never buy one, I just need to be more assured that I'm not buying something that would end up being camp fire wood when a critical part fails

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway