Topic: Waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic - question about plumbing

Knowing that we have people of many talents here, I'm going to ask this.  I have a sink that doesn't drain right.  The trap is fine and clean.  The pipes are clean.  But when I have taken the trap off to inspect it, there was a lot of back pressure blowing water out of the linkage when I loosened the nut.  As soon as the pressure equalized, the sink drained lickety split. 

So, somewhere between the bottom of the trap in the sink and the sewer, there's enough back pressure to prevent the sink from draining water. 

I'm thinking of getting a long, thin, flexible hose to run down the sink line to the pressurized air bubble and giving it a way to equalize pressure, but that obviates the reason for a trap leaving my lavatory a bit stinky (I'd suppose). 

So... thoughts? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic - question about plumbing

Zurf, The idea of releaving the back pressure is a good thought but not a great idea. You don't want the built up gases in the drain pipe to come back into your home.They can be deadly,that's the reason for the trap in the line. The back pressure is a bit confusing. If all the drain lines are clean it's possible the roof vent is plugged. Most homes have one or more breather pipes that vent gases out of the drain pipe system.They come out of the roof of your house. Birds or squrrels can get into them and plug them which could cause the back pressure in your pipes. You'd have to get a way to look down the pipe from above with some kind of light. This does not happen all the time but it does happen. We all try to fix as much as we can around the house but this could be a bit out of  your line. I'd still check out the breather pipe if you can.
Best of luck ,be safe and let us know what you find.
  Joe

I think Tyson has it.  I always forget those pipes that vent to ceiling.  If you called a plumber, I'll bet he would go straight for the roof.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Daggum squirrels

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

There's a song there somewhere.  I got pressure in my pipes and my drains real slow and my woman won't talk to me anymo.  Sounds like blues for sure.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have one simple rule when it comes to plumbing;  "If there is plumbing involved, there will be swearing."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

And beer.

8 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-10-27 21:19:52)

+1 on the vent...  If it has an access under the house you can use a pipe bladder and compressed air (or a water hose) to blow it clear.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Other sinks on the same drain are not having problems.  The slop sink and washing machine both drain to the same main pipe and are not having trouble.  It's just one sink.  Does that still sound like the vent?  Wouldn't everything using that vent have the same problem? 

- Zurf

I have a big ol' nasty snake.  Are those good for vents too?  Because it doesn't hurt to try, right? 

- Zurf

I would try looking down the vent with a good light first, a snake may push it into your pipes and cause a bigger headache. I think you should have a vent for each tie in to your main line, I know I do, so it is possible for one vent to plug up and have one slow drain.

I agree with Southrnrocker about looking before you snake. He's right you could just push something farther in and make the job harder. Let's keep this brainstorming going before you rush into anything. But keep thinking.

Joe

First thing I thought was the vent like Tyson. I've never come across a plugged vent but I know it does happen. To find out which vent is for what, cap them off one at a time and see which other sinks drain slow. That's the reason for vents, air behind water lets it drain properly. Like when pouring milk, if you try to dump it out you cut off the air going into the jug and it will glug out, if you pour slowly and let the air rush in it doesn't glug. I also thought of the bladder as Pix did. I've used them before and they are much easier and cleaner than a snake. As for the back pressure, it could be the air from the vent forcing the water back instead of going down the drain. Because you have a stoppage somewhere as soon as you make an opening, i.e. taking off the trap, you provide an escape and so your trap has now become your drain. The washing machine drain line should have it's own vent since it puts out so much water. I would first try the bladder down the drain in question. Is there a cleanout  somewhere at that drain? If so use it.  Let us know how it goes.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they are giving you all good advice,I would not snake it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

We got some smart people on here from all different trades. Nice to know. The only thing I've been told by plumbers in the
  past is that paydays are on Friday and DON"T lick your fingers. Nice to know also. Hope you find the problem Zurf. smile

Our intuitions serve us well

Guitarpix wrote:

+1 on the vent...  If it has an access under the house you can use a pipe bladder and compressed air (or a water hose) to blow it clear.

Would that possibly shoot a squirrel corpse out of the roof vent like a potato gun? If so, may I request that this home maintenance attempt be recorded on video for possible upload to youtube? I'd hate to miss something like that.

Baldguitardude wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

Would that possibly shoot a squirrel corpse out of the roof vent like a potato gun? If so, may I request that this home maintenance attempt be recorded on video for possible upload to youtube? I'd hate to miss something like that.

It could very well be made to do that...lol  They have ones that use CO2 cartridges smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

It could very well be made to do that...lol  They have ones that use CO2 cartridges smile

All of this was recently finished so if there's a cleanout I don't know how to get to it.  I think it sounds like plumber time, as I didn't see anything obvious.  Obvious to me with plumbing means that it has flashing neon lights with the phrase "Here's your problem."  The plumber I've used since moving into this house recently retired and moved to a cabin along a trout stream in Missouri, so I guess it's time to call the guys who did the remodel and ask them if they have a service and repair division. 

Thanks all for the advice.  I've got a passel of family coming next month and it would be handy not to have that sink draining so slowly. 

- Zurf