Topic: What else are you good at?

Zurf's plumbing thread got me curious...what else are you all proficient in outside of playing music?

Re: What else are you good at?

as for myself I have restored a few street rod cars,including every aspect,engines wiring bodywork etc. also I have Painted and done the interiors myself. I have won many awards for the cars I have done.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am cursed with broad and varied interests, which is why I have no time.

I love SCUBA diving, which ties in with a general love of the ocean.  I sat on the board of directors for the Washington Scuba Alliance, and still consult with them occasionally. I started and was the executive director for an artificial reef foundation.  I did that up until I got divorced seven or eight years ago.   

I'm a fiend for ridiculously fast motorcycles.  I have two in the garage (one stupid fast, the other only kind of fast).   I haven't been arrested in a while, so I guess that means I'm getting old.     I am a good mechanic as a result. I love rebuilding engines and working on mechanical stuff.

I am a damn fine cook, and do all of the meal preparation in the house.  This is something that pretty much everyone in my family shares.  My father was a great cook, my mother is the undisputed kitchen master, and all three of my sisters are also demons in the kitchen.   I have no desire to do this commercially, though. I've got business plans written for cafes and restaurants, but the reality is that it is a brutal business requiring more skin than I've got.  It's why most of them go broke.   I do it because I love food.

I'm an avid history buff.  History was my declared major in college way back when. I particularly like the expansion period in US history. Pretty much everything between the Louisiana Purchase and Reconstruction.  Lewis and Clark are a particular interest. I have the complete Thwaties edition of the journals, but want to get the Moulton revisions since they seem to be all the rage.

I like explosions and gunfire.  I plan on building a massive potato cannon for use off my back porch.  Shelling bass and carpie in the lake will be hours of entertainment. Relevant to my history fetish, I'd also like to build a black powder rifle, preferably a Springfield model 1795 like the ones carried on the Lewis and Clark expedition. I'd also love to find a replica of the Girondoni air rifle carried by Lewis. Something about a .50 caliber pellet gun capable of knocking down deer gets me excited.

I am a secret novelist.  I write short fiction and submit them to Asimov's and other science fiction journals for rejection. Never been published. Don't expect to ever be published. I'm still writing anyway.

I love astrophysics, space, and telescopes. I've built two telescopes (4" f10) and have a 10" Meade in my possession. I am designing a 16" Dobsonian with digital setting circles.   I used to work with a group called "Think Up!" that promoted astrosciences to kids.  We'd provide schools with plans and materials for those 4" f10s, and set up star parties in public places for people to come and peek at the heavens.  I attend star parties way out in the boon docks on occasion, and really enjoy that.  One of my Google calendars is the "phases of the moon" so I know when the viewing will be good.

With the new house, I'm finding that I really enjoy gardening.  I'm harvesting my first season of Daylilly and Crocosmia bulbs this fall, and planning a massive tomato and pepper bed for next spring.   I've also had my first Orchid rebloom this season. Thing went nuts and left 8 flowers on the stem.

I love photography, and have had some success with macro shots.   I've owned Cannon film (AE-1) and Nikon film (F4) and just recently bought a DX format Nikon (D-3100) that I'm really enjoying.   This is one area where GAS is also endemic, but I have mostly been successful in fighting it off.  I haven't gone and spent $3500 on that fixed 300mm fast lens, even though I really need to.  No honey!  Seriously! I need it!

Here's a Daylilly in my front yard taken with that camera.

http://www.dphotographer.co.uk/users/19931/thm1024/1312263237_day_lilly_01.jpg

Things I'm not good at but wish I were:  I can not sharpen a knife or put a lasting shine on a boot to save my life.  I am the worlds worst carpenter, something my wife doesn't want to come to grips with.  I wish I could whittle, or do fine furniture making or other artistic woodworking.  This is my primary concern about building my own guitars, which I would love to do.  I can not draw pictures beyond stick figures.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

"What else" implies that we are good at playing. I can play, but proficient is not how I would label myself.

I can pretty much fix anything. That's how I got into construction. I'm good at knowing how things work and how they are put together. I'm good at problem solving. I'm a decent carpenter. I build my own furniture.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I've built 3 RHS medal winning gardens, 2 at the Chelsea Flower Show and 1 at the Hampton Court Flower Show and I'm also an Observer, (Trainer), for the Institute of Advanced Motorcylists here in the UK. I'm actually much better at landscaping and riding bikes than I am at playing the guitar!

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I'm a jack of some trades and a master of none.  I was a published photographer by age 15.  I was running my own photo business at 17, but I shut it down when I went to college.  I taught the high school photography course while I was still in high school.  My particular emphasis was on darkroom technique.  For a time, I ran the highest volume by roll count color photo lab in Michigan.  So I'm pretty good at something that is now obsolete and relatively useless. 

I enjoy, but am not particularly good at fishing and paddling and camping and hiking.  I am modestly proficient though not exceptional with fly rod, spinning tackle, and conventional tackle.   The fish disagree with my assessment of skill and therefore shun my offerings. 

I love to cook, but have no real skill for it.  It is a matter of practice.  My wife does not like what I do to her kitchen when I do cook.  And there is no question but that it is her kitchen. 

I can work wood - rough carpentry.  I have no skill for fine carpentry.  Again, it is a matter of practice as I worked my way through college in part as a woodworker building airplanes.   

It seems that the thing I am particularly good at is reading regulations and figuring out how to apply the requirements to business systems.  It's not very much fun to talk about. 

If you need some money spent, I'm your guy.  I'm great at that! 

And finally with a nod of the hat to Billy Currington, "I'm pretty good at drinking beer." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I share a few interests withh Jeome.  I love to cook and garden.  It's kind of funny, my job with the government was an Ammunition Inspector.  I have seen everything DOD has to offer.  I have been part of rebuild of older ammunition, all sizes and yes, I even fired quite a few types of munitions on the ranges throughout the world.  And got to blow up obsolete ammunition.  But, in my personal life I am not interested in these things.  I don't own a gun.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Very average at everything I've ever done. I guess I'm just one of life's boring, little people.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I also share the gun building interest with Jerome. I've built a Blackpowder 50. cal. Hawken rifle and a Civil War 54. cal Springfield. I was in a muzzleloading club for many years. I'm also a fan of the fur trapping era and the Cowboy traditions. My summers I play music and cowboy with a friend in the BigHorn mts. in Wyoming. I also built my log home that I presently live in.Lots of work that I don't think I'm physically capable to do today.But what an education. I've been building things since grade school. Ive also raised horses and cattle. So now I have backed off on a lot of my hobbies since I think had my hands in way too much. But it's been a fun ride.

Joe

Lots of common interests here!

I'm doing my confined water dives this weekend for my SCUBA cert. I own more guns than I need but not as many as I want. I love fishing and boating and can show you more ways to send a nice boat to the repair shop than I would like to think about. I brew beer and make wine at home, I'm a BBQ whiz and a pretty good smoker and I can cook like a mofo. I like to hunt. I have a freezer full of critters I've shot or hooked.

I was just given a 12' long potato gun for my birthday but have yet to fire it.

I'm turning in to a huge WW2 buff. I've been reading 1-2 books per week on the subject for the last 6 months or so, mostly from the perspective of victims of Stalin and Hitler. Survivor accounts, that type of thing. Starting to learn about the organizations surrounding those two lunatics.

I can take almost any dog with almost any behavior disorder and fix it, but I can't do a thing with wood, metals, or anything involving power tools. I have no idea how a car operates. My knowledge base ends at putting on spares.

Just had berry bushes put in the back yard so I can grow some of my own food.

Finally I love mixed martial arts. I've studied various forms of kick boxing and grappling on and off for the last 15 years.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Finally I love mixed martial arts. I've studied various forms of kick boxing and grappling on and off for the last 15 years.

Did that for a while too.  Turns out I sucked at it, which is why I didn't mention it in a competency thread.  After a few shoulder resets and learning to take tape to spar sessions to tape up my broken fingers and toes, I decided the pleasure wasn't worth the pain and quit. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

There seems to be quite a few common interests here.

For me I like to cook. I do all the cooking here and the kitchen is definitely mine.

My wife and I are keen cyclists and have toured through Europe 3 times.

I'm a Horticulturist by profession and have spent the past 40 years in various parks and gardens. In recent years I've become quite interested in organic growing and the general green lifestyle (without the dreadlocks). At home we store our own water, have solar power, organic vegetable gardens, keep native bees and am about to get some chickens. I bake bread, make our own soap, candles and wine, preserve fruit, etc.

I'm OK at working with wood but anything metal, including engines of any type, is best left to others.

Try and fit some guitar playing as well.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Like many of you, I have dabbled in several other things. I've been a whitewater kayaker, raft guide, and canoer for many years, although my "hair boating" days are over.  Any big water I run now is strictly rowing my raft.  I raced canoes for a few years and have a few medals from winning some Ohio state finals races as well as two gold medals from the "82 World's Fair. (A  damaged right shoulder ended my racing days though. ) I've also done quite a bit of wilderness tripping and have 21 trips lasting 1-3 weeks along the old fur trade routes in western Ontario.  I also combined my love of canoing with my interest in the Lewis & Clark Expedition by paddling 150 miles of the Upper Missouri in Montana exactly 200 years after they did the same section of river, staying on their campsites and seeing many of the sights they described in their journals. I've also combined my love of woodworking and have built 5 cedar-strip canoes over the years.

I've designed and built 4 houses from the ground up by myself, doing all the masonry and block work, carpentry, plumbing, wiring etc.  The home I currently live in was built by me 23 years ago and I raised my 4 children in it.  (The only thing I have ever hired out has been finishing dry wall, which I suck at.)

I've also logged quite a few miles back-backing and camping as well as spending 30-50 days a year fishing for small mouth bass.

I'm an American Civil War buff and have a pretty good library of books related to the conflict.  I enjoy walking the old battle fields and imagining what it would have been like to have fought there.  I had a goal this year to try to write enough songs about the Civil War to put together a CD.  Although I've written several new songs this year, only 3 have been about the war so maybe a CD next year ????????

By trade, I was an I&C (Instrumentation and Controls) Tech for 20 years and also an instructor/trainer in the trade for nearly 10 years, all my work being in the nuclear industry.  For the last dozen years I've worked as an I&C Engineer although the controls systems I knew (electrical, electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic) have almost all been replaced with computers and the technology is leaving me behind, so I can no longer say I'm very good at it.

What I have been consistently good at over the years has been CONSUMING ADULT BEVERAGES.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Lots of things I'd rather not mention....lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I am the worlds greatest Grandpa. Be careful there are impostors out there.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

But Deadstring, do you have a mug or tie that states that you are the greatest? With out one of those trophies you are an impostor yourself.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

17 (edited by tandm3 2011-10-29 01:23:29)

I was raised in northern Indiana as stolid member of the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches. I followed in my father's footsteps in that he taught me how to build a house, how to fix most simple mechanical things and to become an Army translator for the purposes of the national intelligence interest.  He spoke Chinese.  I speak Russian. I can still scare the new immigrants when I can single them out.  I love to cook. Opened a restaurant. Closed a restaurant. I still love to cook.  As a  trade, I repair and rebuild the structural components of aircraft large and small and currently work as a field service rep for a company that supplies 5th generation fighters to the Air Force.  I've worked on every airplane you've probably ever flown or flown on going back to B-18 bombers and DC-2's (B-18 is not a typo). Always learning something, I'm back in school.  I'm almost a pentagenarian. Less than 30 days separates me from that pedigree. Besides working full-time, I attend one state college and one university in my pursuit of a Bachelors degree that I should have gotten years ago.  BTW, trigonometry still sucks, and its gotten more complex since we used sticks and scratch marks (back in the day) in the dirt to count.  I now like wine now more than beer and moonshine more than whiskey.  I've played guitar since 1972.  I started on bass.  My parents had a gospel quartet that I became a part of at the ripe old age of 12.   I've been playing something with strings ever since.  Lately, as an experiment, I've been building my own instruments out of cigar boxes and table legs that I get from the Home Depot.  It's a distraction that has peaked my interest in primitive American instruments.  These "guitars" are extremely interesting to me and I'll continue to build them as long as people want them.  Currently, I'm growing Thai basil and chilis in my large kitchen windows.  I like it hot.  Thai hot.  Me and the missus are recreational kayakers and enjoy the springs, coastal lakes and the Gulf of Mexico.  If you've not paddled a natural spring fed creek or river in NW FL,  you probably ought to.  Where am I going from here?  Ask me tomorrow.

Jerome, that is an awesome flower.

Now available in 5G !

All my life I've been a World War 2 buff. Never understood why after millions of deaths and financial ruin, they turned around 20 years later and did it again.
Restored a 1916 house and a 1950's wooden sailboat. Both projects came out well.
I was honored to raise two kids and a now a grandson. I found it to be fun.
Love airplanes and motorcycles. Couldn't afford a plane but still ride motorcycles at my age 70.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

zguitar wrote:

But Deadstring, do you have a mug or tie that states that you are the greatest? With out one of those trophies you are an impostor yourself.

A mug and a T shirt. No tie.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

First... I'm a mom.

I'm also a cosmetologist... but because I prefer the artistry and chemistry portion of hair/skin/nails and I live in the sticks and am a mom first and foremost, I don't make much money at it.  People want their hair done on a moments notice, they are loyal to their hairdresser, yet they think a cosmetologist is a moron and doesn't deserve to be paid well for their craft.  Yep, they actually think that prices are negotiable.  I think most waitresses make more money than hairdressers (and waitresses are paid less per hour).  I found my shoulder really didn't like the job so much... so I just dabble in hair a little at home with some close friends and relatives.

I could sell a bikini to a 300 pound Eskimo.   wink

I like to draw, but I don't think I draw well.  My  husband is a tattoo artist (and Ironworker) and he's been trying to talk me into picking up a tattoo gun for over a year now. 

I'm self taught with electronic gadgets... and I love them.  The down side to this is that every time anyone I know has a computer issue, they call me.  I appreciate their vote of confidence, but I also believe some people just plain should NOT own a computer.  LOL!  I've had a couple websites like Chordie, although they weren't about guitars... more so babies and pregnancy and the like.  If you have a question about pregnancy, I probably know the answer.  I've considered becoming a doula (someone paid to be in the labor/delivery room with you... like a coach), but I won't.  I've just been asked me to be on call for a friend's pregnancy, again.  Having a baby is an amazing experience... watching the birth and being there to make sure the nurses and doctors are listening is entirely different and also an amazing experience as many of you daddies know!

I am awesome at reading fine print; comprehending contracts and legal documents and such.  I like to say I get that from my Dad.  We both agree that we have an odd knack for it and maybe that means we should both have seriously looked into getting into law or politics ... but we both agree that it would end up consuming us and turning us into mean hated people.  We both also loved reading the writings of Shakespeare while in high school where MOST people had a difficult time following along.  Interestingly enough, my Son is in the same boat right now.  My dad was very heavily involved in his Union (Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers - he was a choo choo train driver), I too got involved in a Union I was in at one point.  I didn't like how it put a big huge red target on my back with the company.  Either my father or myself are the ones everyone in the family comes to when they have something that they need interpreted into layman's terms, or when they have to write a letter to a company or deal with lawyers.  I do my own taxes, my husbands business taxes, my business taxes, and my mom's taxes and will probably do my sister's taxes and business taxes this next year.  We've all tested out the "tax experts" and I tend to find the little things that they miss that everyone can claim LEGALLY wink

I have a 4 year old little girl that is high functioning autistic.  I've just recently begun delving into that "world" - from therapies and doctors, to the educational and health laws and regulations around this disability.  I think I've found a good place to put my "skills" to use in a way that will benefit me (my family) personally.

I sew a little.  By a little, I mean only for special occasions.  I made my wedding dress, and every year I make my kids Halloween Costumes.  OH, and every now and then people ask me to hem something for them.  I seem to be the person everyone likes to have there while they're getting ready for their own wedding.  I can do their hair and makeup and fix their last minute clothing issues. 

I like to bake.  I cook all the time, but I really ENJOY baking.  Breads, sweet rolls, cookies, etc.  I don't care for pie dough though. 

I own a hammer, 2 screwdrivers, a wrench, a pair of needle nose pliers, duct tape, plumbers tape, and twine.  I can temporarily fix things, and I enjoy doing so.  I ran my own internal phone line in the house.  I do know how to change the oil in my car, although I choose not to do so.  I put in and take out the window A/C units every year.  I did the wall treatments in two of the rooms in our house.  If we had the money, I'd have the entire house renovated.  I'd figure out how to do plumbing etc.  I'm NOT the girlie girl afraid to break a nail... yet at the same time, I kinda am.

Lastly... I'm a mom.

--- interestingly enough, I do NOT own a mug or t-shirt that claims I'm the best mom ever ---  So, I suppose it's possible that I'm not the best mom, but it's what I love to "do" the most!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

21 (edited by Bass Viking 2011-10-29 12:37:32)

I can't claim any proficiency YET with the guitar, but I really enjoy golfing, fishing, doing a little gardening and absolutely love being a grandpa!  I really like being creative in the kitchen cooking up new things.  Retirement has been a wonderful thing after thirty years of work in the public sector as a Human Resource Manager.  I like to think that I am a pretty good public speaker and a great trainer.  All that time in front of students teaching management training and other topics made it easier to get up in front of people and try my hands at playing the guitar and singing.  I am having fun with it and I think that is one of the most important things.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

What else am I good at, to varying degrees I dabbled in many things. I played sports as a child, turned out to be pretty darn good at it. I parlayed that into Coaching basketball for many years with kids ranging from 8 & 9 up to High School age kids, wining two championships, one on the National level.

I use to love to draw, some of them very detailed and was very proud of those drawings but sadly they all burned up in a house fire and it broke my heart, haven't attempted to draw since then.

I got into photography and became pretty good at it, had a growing number of pictures I was proud of but posted them online, something happened, they were accidently erased and lost forever.

I've worked with wood, built some of my own furniture and can actually build patios decks, and odd looking birdhouses.

I've tried many other things from golf to canoeing down the Yadkin river and use to be pretty good at working on older cars when you could still get to the part without taking half the engine apart to get to it.

Lately, I've gotten into writing, I had a small piece published in Caribbean Travel and Life Magazine. I've now taken my talent's "limited as they are" to Twitter and writing sports blogs. From that I've been asked to write for some pretty influential people, but have declined them all and write for basically for myself, but I have help founded a small group of writers who have joined forces to put our blogs on a website where our blogs are all pulled into that one website, though for some reason it's down right now, trying to get that worked out, but I still have my own website. I was even mentioned on ESPN believe it or not.

I seem to always be looking for something new that grabs my interest and learn something different, it's came to my attention that regardless of the old saying an old dog can learn new tricks as long as you keep your mind active.

Cam

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Did that for a while too.  Turns out I sucked at it, which is why I didn't mention it in a competency thread.  After a few shoulder resets and learning to take tape to spar sessions to tape up my broken fingers and toes, I decided the pleasure wasn't worth the pain and quit. 

- Zurf

I quit after the most part due to a shin fracture and dislocated toe. That hurt a lot. I still use the bag though.....

tubatooter1940 wrote:

All my life I've been a World War 2 buff. Never understood why after millions of deaths and financial ruin, they turned around 20 years later and did it again.

Thats exactly why I've started to study it.

Baldguitardude wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

- Zurf

I quit after the most part due to a shin fracture and dislocated toe. That hurt a lot. I still use the bag though.....

The first knuckles from my pinky and ring finger are pretty much flat from using the heavy bag so much.  I was always pretty fast, so I didn't use the speed bag much.  When sparring, I was just shy of 6'4" and weighed 155#.  So I was a rail and had a huge reach advantage over anyone in my weight class.  The problem was that if they got inside on me, they could use their low center of gravity to throw me any which way they chose.  So I learned speed, but didn't hit real hard.  Those stocky guys could outpunch me impact wise three to one, but I could hit them A LOT before they got in on me.  I didn't kick much, generally sticking to "scientific" boxing, but knew a few defensive kicks and a couple knockdowns.  I had a friend who was 5'4" that could take a hit and I never did beat him when sparring.  Two of them actually.  One went on to be a body guard and the other went to prison for murder, so I don't think there's any shame in losing to those guys.