1 (edited by Bass Viking 2011-11-16 23:00:03)

Topic: Me, the retiree to play for the seniors!

Ok, it is official!  I am scheduled on two different days this month to go to senior facilities and play about an hour for the residents.  The first will be a nursing home where my mother-in-law lived last year prior to her death, the second is a low-income senior housing location with about 40 residents.  I volunteered for the first and a friend of mine who plays a little and heard me play told his mom (a resident) about me and she is in charge of activities and asked me to come and play for them at their monthly birthday celebration.   I am excited; nervous; and more than a little apprehensive, but I am going to go give it my best and see how it goes.  What is the worst that could happen?  They may not like what I do and never ask me back.  I just thought this a way to share the joy of what I am doing and maybe bring a little cheer into their lives for an hour or so.  I hope!  Will do mostly older country songs that I think they will know and remember.  Just wanted to share; will let everybody know how it goes after the 16th and 17th.  Wish me luck!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Re: Me, the retiree to play for the seniors!

Let's just hope that your groupies keep their shirts on.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Bass Viking, you are in tune with the universe.  Way to go.  I am sure you will do well and they will like it.  Let us know how it goes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Glad too hear you are getting out there,if you ever get a chance try too play at one of our veterans hospitals. I watched alot of beginners start at one and they really enjoy entertainment of any kind.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Way to Go, I think it's going to be a good deal for all involved. You're going to make their day a little brighter. I'm sure all will go well. Best of Luck.

Joe

Awesome man!

Way to go! You won't regret it! Been doing it 3 times a month since Feb. trying to be a blessing to them but they have been a blessing to me. They will enjoy every song you do but if you want to get them into it try something like "I'll Fly Away" or "I Saw The Light". They will help you. If Gospel is not an option maybe "Jambalaya".  I'm Proud for ya.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

That's great! Enjoy the gig Jim.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

GREAT job Jim!  Well... for setting it up, and I'm sure you'll do great.  I enjoy listening to your recordings although I don't always comment.  I have no doubt the seniors will enjoy it too.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Have fun Big Jim! That's what is all about, you AND them havin some fun now!! Too many of our seniors are confined
  to their resident for health problems and such. Just by showing up Jim you will put smiles on faces that may not smile
  as often as they need.    Rip it up!        Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Jim, you gotta watch out for them old men. Them "Blue Haired" grandma's gonna be wanting to show you their bodiacious ta ta's and will be trying to throw their grannie panties at'cha. Them old men will be all hopped up on them little blue pills and don't wanna see their wemmin folk going after a young'un. When the men begin chargin the stage with their walkers and wavin' their canes it'll be time slip on outta there. But the good thing about this is you can always come back next week as they will have forgeten about everything.

Nela

Ha!  You guys are too much with stories of ta ta showing and panty throwin and blue pilled old men charging the stage.  Just in case, I will set up near the door so I can make a quick exit if I need to.  Thanks to all of your for your supporting comments.  I am sure I will have alot of fun as I can see what it means just to take the time and talk to some of them and how it seems to brighten their day.  Will do mostly a mix of old country, a few gospel songs, maybe a couple of mine I have written and then have a few in reserve for some type of requests which I may be able to pull off.  Dino, I never thought about the Veterans Hospital; what a great way to repay those who have served for us.  Maybe something for the future; if I survive this.  Oh, well, back to practicing!  Thanks to all!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.

Good for you Jim, I am sure you will go down a storm.

However it might be an idea to deliberately throw a few mistakes in the last couple of numbers, just to make sure that they are not so mesmerized and enthralled that that they go and lock the doors to keep you there for a week or two smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It's a great thing to do, Jim! Good on you!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

OK, today I took my mic's and amp and guitar and went to play for about an hour and a half for the seniors at a nursing home.  What an appreciative response I got!  The staff said it was great that they were singing along and a couple actually got up and did their best to dance, which made some of the staff a little nervous.  I was extremely suprised at the responses to my original songs I played.  A lot of chit chat between songs, comparing where we were from and sharing short stories about who we commonly knew.  I think I might have got as big a thrill out of it as they did.  I went to the local florist and gave each of them a carnation right before I performed a song called "A Daisy a Day" as it was performed by Jed Strunk.  Brought a few tears from some on that one.  Overall a wonderful experience for me and they quickly asked me when I would be back and even had some reqests they wanted the next time.  I recommend this for everyone as it really seemed to brighten their day.  I know it did mine!

You're the man.  Sounds wonderful and again, good for you for doing it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Great story Bass Viking! I may need to try that - playing in front of folks that don't hear so well would be right up my alley.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Bass sounds like you are bringing the people alot of good enterainment,got too respect you alot for taking the time with them. I am kind of feeling like topdown as I can not sing at all but I can play. ( I do not know if topdown can sing good or not).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

God Bless you Bass Viking.

I hope there's someone like you around when its my turn to be in a home . I'll be praying in the meantime, there's no "Nella Fella" alongside me with a one track mind. He { Nella } must be Irish ! he's full of auld blarney lol. I must admit to L.M.A.O, reading his post.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks for all the comments; especially nice hearing from you Old Doll!  Good to see you around again!  I kind of hope this is a little paying forward to the day I might have to be in such a facility.  Maybe someone will come and entertain me. 
I made my second trip today to a senior housing center for their monthly birthday bash; much more relaxed, had alot more fun and alot of carrying on back and forth with the residents.  Twenty-two women and me had a great time with some sing alongs and a couple of the gals got up and danced to my version of Rocky Top.  When it was all over, they sat me down, forced me to eat a big slice of cake with ice cream and then sent cake home with me.  They wanted to know when I could come back!  I had a great time and an hour and a half flew by before I knew it.  They sent me home with some requests for the next time I come.  Did I say that I had fun?  If I did, I am saying it again.