Topic: I was asked to play at a party

I received a phone call the other night, one I've received a few times in fact.  "We're having a party this Saturday, we've hired so and so to play his GEEtar and want you to come.  Have a few drinks, have some food and a good time, and maybe you can play a few songs while he's taking his breaks.  He'll have his whole set up here, mics and all.  Won't you come on over?"  I said I'd try, as I always say... but... this time I actually went!  Ha, they were surprised when I walked in the door with my guitar.  I sat there having a few drinks enjoying myself for quite a bit.  Surprisingly, the "hired guy" pretty much just strummed and sang like I do... I wasn't feeling like I was out of my league for the first time ever.  Finally, toward the end of the evening the "hired guy" took his break and introduced me.  So, up I went and it was not only fun but everyone seemed to enjoy it!  Since he only had one mic and my guitar has no electronics he offered me his Ibanez which played very nicely!  I only picked out three songs, but they wanted more so I dug out a few more songs and kept playing till I saw the "hired guy" wandering around the room, then offered him back his guitar and mic, and of course thanked him (and helped him pick up a little when all was said and done - we talked guitars for a bit!).  The best compliments I received were:  Do you  play out?  You should play out! -- and of course, you're beautiful AND you have a beautiful voice!  wink  It was really awesome to get all the great compliments and encouragement.  All the old timers left shortly after I started playing (it was apparently bed time), and I guess they were saying that they wished I'd have started the night off... apparently they liked me a little more than the "hired guy"!  Such a great feeling to be complimented so highly.  I could get used to it... although... I'm not so sure I'm ready to be famous LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: I was asked to play at a party

Great story! Inspiring. I am happy for you. Getting out of your comfort zone can be uncomfortable (duh!) but it is most always rewarding.

way to go Amy! I also am a  hired guy I still play at parties and I welcome anybody with talent to join me its good PR chances are they are friends with whoever signs my check and stuffs bills in my kitty jar and if there talented all the better if they stink offer encouragement such is the life of a paid minstrel smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Totally awesome.     rock on mom.   

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Cheers for Amy! I've played out a few times and it's such a great feeling of accomplishment. Hope you get to play out more often, your music is a gift to be shared.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

That's really neat, Amy.  I can tell you aree getting into it.  Once you start, it's to stop, isn't it?  When we have bar-b-ques and such, people always ask me to bring out the guitar if they know I play.  I am always a little hesitant at first, but like you, once I start, I can't quit.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Awesome! Way to go!

Great too hear it amy,you needed that as you are down on yourself alot and you finely got told by some strangers you are an enjoyable performer!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Way to go Amy! What songs did you do?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

10 (edited by Bass Viking 2011-11-01 12:39:35)

Good for you girl!  No turning back now!  Proud of you!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

That's awesome Amy!!!! Maybe next time you'll be the "hired girl". Money seems to complicate matter tho.

It's a little unfair because you sing too. So if your playing sucks you can impress them with your vocals. For those of us who sing likes cats um... well you know, we are at a disadvantage.

Let us know how the next one goes.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

You,re better than you think you are .

You're beautiful, and you have a beautiful voice. 

Right on target. 

I'm so happy you had a good time. 

JETS60 is trying to get me to go to an open mic near us, but I'm still feeling most comfortable where there's a campfire. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great job! I admire your talent and hard work. Lots of fun ahead for you Amy. What color tour bus should I be looking
  for in the near future?? smile        Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

How great is that! I'm so pleased for you!! Sounds like you did a great job - we all knew you could do it. Especially those of us lucky enough to have seen "Amy Wall - Live from the Campfire"...
There will be no stopping you now!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thanks guys!!  It was a really awesome feeling! 

I played the new song I wrote - Broken on the Floor, Killing Me Softly, and my version of Lover's Cross... then when they wanted more, I did Black is the Color, my version of Your Man, Running Bear (for the couple older fellows still in the room who were beeming smiles at my "old songs"), and I think one more but I can't even remember right now!  LOL! 

Well, I am hard on myself because I have some issues... been being told my whole life that singing and music is for the LOVE of it, was persuaded NOT to go to college for music when I was a teenager, and well, I'm just fighting all that bologna that was jammed into my head at an early age.  All I ever wanted to do was sing, but I guess Mom and Dad didn't want a "starving musician" for a daughter.  So... I did step out of my comfort zone and I liked it, and I WILL do it again and next time I won't be as nervous.  I'm getting MUCH better with the nerves!!!  I think the "hired guy" hosts an open mic on Thursdays at a local bar, but I don't think too many people do much more than use him as a human karaokie machine.  I think I may just go check that out and bring my guitar.  wink

Great story MKM..  I too play out, the hired girl if you will..  nothing like it.  It's almost addicting.  All the others that actually know you and have heard you..  nothing but pats on the back..  congrats!
Deb

Amy, congrats . It's a great place to start.Keep on taking every spot you get offered and it won't be long before you'll be doing the whole night yourself. As Deb says it can be addicting. The more you play out the more you want to play out. It's great to have the crowd enjoying what your doing and wanting more . For me playing music is more fun than anything especially when you are playing into a great sound system. There's times I can't believe I'm the one making this great music. That's my drive. Best of Luck.

Joe

For most of us, once you cross that first hurdle, it becomes easier each time.  And it is always fun.  You're on a roll. Keep the momentum going, Amy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

So sorry I missed your performance.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Good for you Girl, I've listened to your recordings and, your much better than you give yourself credit for. I have never played for money but, playing out is shurley fun.  Go for it.    b

Nice one - most people ask me to stop!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Well done Amy,

You have a great voice and certainly play guitar more than good enough to be abe to accompany yourself so I am not surprised that you went down well. The next one will be easier so get down to the open mic session and do your stuff, but be sure to report back here to us.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Glad it went well for you! You do good!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

smile   I will be sure to let you know how it goes Roger, once I'm able to get down to one of the open mic's.  Unfortunately, it's hunting season here right now... so the hubster's been busy playing in the woods chasing deer around after work.  I'm really excited to go play in public again though.  I won't say I want to make money, but I do want to play because I enjoy it and want others to enjoy listening to it!  Again, thank you to everyone for the pats on the back.  smile