Topic: LSU vs Alabama

If you know what that means, you know what it means.

Quick poll.

1. LSU wins
2. Alabama wins
3. I don't know or care, but it's going to be an epic match, so I win.

I am decidedly in the #3 camp.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: LSU vs Alabama

I will watch the game if I can get it. I will get too see the stanford vs oregon this saterday.( I think it is oregon)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'll be watching it, I consider it the National Championship game, at least in my mind. The two best teams in football this year. It should be a close game. I have no dog in this fight, but I think LSU wins it in a squeaker. Though it's gonna be tough to beat Bama at their house. There's nothing like Football in the South, it's taken as serious as fried chicken and BBQ. I hope it comes down to the last play, best team wins. I know Toots has to be very interested in this game, whats your thoughts Toots, I know your a Bama man.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I think LSU will win, too.  Alabama's offensive line is awesome and they've basically been winning by smashing their way down the field. It's great old fashioned smash mouth football.  I don't think they'll be able to do that as well against LSU's defense.  The Tiger's defensive line is just as mean and dominating as the Alabama O-line.  I think that's what wins it for LSU.

Stanford is at Oregon State this week, which is going to be a bit of a different game than next week's Stanford vs University of Oregon match up.  The Stanford cheerleaders could beat the OSU Beavers.

Oregon is going to beat Washington this Saturday in a game with an over/under at 75 points.  Yaay for mediocre defenses and good offenses!   I say it goes over, and ends up with a score more appropriate for the basketball teams with both squads scoring over 40 points.

That is all.  The Mrs. is in Ireland for a couple of weeks, so I plan on doing nothing on Saturday besides watching football and playing the guitar really loud.

It should be a great game and one of many college games I'll watch this weekend.  I used to watch the pros too but in '94 after the baseball player's strike the realization hit me that watching corporate sports is like rooting for General Motors to beat Apple Computer - it's all just a big business that depends on "fans" to spend money to support the lavish lifestyles of the owners and players. I haven't watched a single minute of any pro sports games (football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer) in 17 years. On the other hand I watch every college sporting event I can find on TV, although football is my favorite.

I agree that LSU and Bama may be the best two college football teams however I don't like the way they got to that level.  If you are familiar with college teams "over-signing" players then you know that those two teams are among the worst abusers.  In fact, historically the whole SEC has been guilty of the practice.  Most college fans think when a player commits and signs to a college that they are given a 4-year scholarship, but actually it is only for one year at a time.  Still, most colleges honor their original offers and even if a player does not turn out to be as good as they originally thought, as long as they stay out of trouble, attend classes and pass their courses, they are kept on the team until they graduate.  At LSU and Alabama (and most SEC west teams as well as SC in the east) these kids are pushed off the team and replaced with new recruits each year so the team can still stay within the 85 scholarship limit. Its tough for teams that try to honor scholarship offers to compete against teams that practice over-signing, as in reality they are playing kids from 4 recruitment classes against kids that are essentially from the equivalent of 5-6 classes (best of 85-90 players vs best of 120-25).  Its the reason high school football is divided into divisions as small schools with limited players can't compete against large schools who pick kids from hundreds that try out.  Georgia and Florida stopped over-recruiting a few years back and now have trouble competing in their own conference.

In short its totally unfair to the kids who get cast aside, although its legal by NCAA rules.  There have been recent meetings and discussions within the NCAA to raise academic standards and to also make scholarships good for at least two years but the SEC is fighting it.

Anyway, I'll step off the soapbox now.  Hope everyone enjoys the games this weekend.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I wasn't aware of the scholarship issue. Like you note, I thought it was a four year thing guaranteed.  That is a rotten thing.  There's lots to complain about with the NCAA and the BCS.  Wait for the gnashing of teeth when you have three undefeated teams at the end of the season if Stanford and OK State win out.  I guess I'll add this one to the list.

SC v Arkansas is going to be good, too, as is OK State v Kansas State.

I am going too cheer for the Stanford cheerleaders!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Go Cardinal!

#2.  I predict Bama pulls off the upset.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Football almost qualifies as a religion here in Alabama. Some folks around here take it so seriously they have themselves buried in Alabama or Auburn caskets with Alabama or Auburn headstones.
I played at several golf banquets where fans pay ten grand apiece to golf, eat and have pictures taken with heroes like Joe Namath, Bart Starr and Archie Manning.
This game may be a case of the irresistible force vs the immovable object. Don't know who's gonna win but we're gonna hear the hitting a block from the stadium.
Good on ya chordians,
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Astronomikal wrote:

#2.  I predict Bama pulls off the upset.

Actually Alabama is a 5 point favorite, so the upset would be if LSU wins.  In any case I agree that the Tide will probably win at home.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

It's game day LSU vs Bama. Toots is right about football in the south, it's almost a religious experience. The tailgate parties, the pageantry, the alliance to your team. The rivalry's run as deep  as  your favorite fishing hole, and go back generations. People ask who's your team to figure out who and what your about.

To address what ED said, The NCAA is as guilty of being after the almighty dollar as pro-sports. I will admit that I didn't know about the one year scholarships that certain teams give out, though I must say I'm not surprised at it.

All in all though, it is what it is, all sports right down to the High School level needs cleaning up. Yet in the South, and I'm sure elsewhere we still love our sports. Here in North Carolina we also love our College basketball. I'm a Duke fan, have been longer than Coach K has been there, our rivalry with UNC is as good as there is in sports. It's as strong as Bama vs Auburn or Yankees vs Red Sox.

Anyway, I have no dog in tonights game, but can't wait to see it, it's gonna be a smack down dog fight and may the best team win, I hope it comes down to the last play with a chance to win it, both teams are capable of winning it, my head says Bama, but my gut says LSU We'll see tonight.

Cam

I will be able too watch the game,so now I think I am going too choose alabama and a low scoring game.I will watch Stanford also, hope they win and they show alot of shoots of the cheerleaders.

Stanford won! ( cheerleaders had on cold weather attire).  Lsu and alabama on right now.

This epic game of the century sure was a snoozer for the first half anyway. I hope things pick up in the second half.

And.. Suck it Tar Holes.. cheaters never win

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

16 (edited by jerome.oneil 2011-11-06 03:35:26)

Man, talk about a grinder.  I'm sore after watching that!

And Top, brutal defense never makes for pretty football, and that was two brutal defenses.  smile

LSU wins 9-6 but Bama's cheerleaders and band majorettes were hotter than LSU's hotties by a mile.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I love a good defensive game, but LSU I think that for them to win the national tittle, they'll have to improve on their offense. LSU still have a tough schedule ahead of them, so nothing was settled to night,it may open the door for OKLA State, Stanford. But I for one still believe we need a playoff syetem of some type to determine a true National Champion.

Cam

+10000000 on the playoff system.   The only thing I like about the current BCS system is the outrage it produces. 

Imagine this very real scenario.

Boise State wins out.  Stanford loses to Oregon.  OK State loses to Oklahoma.   LSU loses to Arkansas.  You now have one undefeated team (BSU) but you know for a fact that they'll put two of the other one loss teams in the Championship game.

Outrage!  big_smile

Really boring game of kickers and defense. I am not impressed with either teams offense,cheerleaders looked nice though. Jerome I hope stanford can make it too that point,They have to play oregon next week.a pretty good team.

I'll say it again.  Great defense makes for ugly football.  I think Stanford will win out, though. Oregon's defense is good, but not great, but Stanford's offense is a machine.  They haven't scored less than 35 points all season.

I think on Monday the rankings are going to be

1. LSU
2. OK State
3. Stanford
4. BSU
5. Alabama

Alabama will move up over BSU the final week of the season when they beat Auburn.   LSU finishes with Arkansas, and OK State finishes with Oklahoma.   Stanford finishes with Notre Dame, so anything could happen between now and then.

And I keep forgetting there is a championship game in the PAC-12 (PAC-10 FOREVER!!!) now.  Which is good.

22 (edited by dino48 2011-11-07 01:27:48)

Reminded me of a heavyweight boxing match with two slow but powerfull boxers.Hope your prediction is good I would like too see stanford go all the way. I am footballed out after watching four games this weekend,never thought I would say that.

BCS Poll this morning is garbage.

1    LSU    9-0
2    Oklahoma State    9-0
3    Alabama    8-1
4    Stanford    9-0

No way Alabama should be ranked over Stanford after that special teams performance on Saturday.  None of the polls moved BSU up, though.  They're still 5th in every one.

I sometimes wonder about how they rank,seems like some of them do not know what they are doing. Seems like sometimes views are biased,look at espn,they talk about mostly eastern and middle state pro teams,they say very little about the Seahawks,49er's,cardinals,they do talk alot about the chargers,raiders even if they are loosing bad.