Topic: Thumb/Fancy Chord problem

Ok so I've been working on this song called " Winter Song" by the head and the heart (they have some cool live videos on youtube by the way, along the lines of The Beatles meets Bon Dylan lol). Its basically pretty simple, fingerpicked and you play those chords where you add a note: D/c# D/B and then an open D, G A back to D. Conceptually its no problem but I've been trying to do a low B on the "a" string, by rolling up my thumb which smarts! Do I need to get over it or is "thumb rolling" just improper guitar posture? Is there a better way to do this?

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Thumb/Fancy Chord problem

I watched a couple of their videos.  I'm not sure what you mean by rolling your thumb.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by wlbaye 2011-11-04 16:50:48)

Hanna,

I would try not to use your thumb for this, while holding a D chord use your  pinky finger to hit the C# and for the B Note keep your D chord planted and  take your middle finger up and fret the B note on the A string, then get your middle finger back to the D chord and hit the open A string over a D chord . It is a walk from C# , B , A on the 5th string over a D chord, then a G chord F # and a Em.

Wayne P

The Bass notes are the most important in this song, so if all your fingers are not holding down the entire D Chord not a big deal, play around with it and you'll get it smile

Later, Wayne P

4 (edited by Zurf 2011-11-04 17:22:30)

Reach with your pinky.  It takes a strong pinky and flexible hands.  It can be done.  Using your thumb on anything other than the low E positions your arm all wrong.  By "wrong" I don't mean wrong from a "proper guitar technique 101" perspective, but from a body mechanics perspective.  It winds up pulling the rest of your hand so that your other fingers are off from where they should be for the frets and the whole chord is muddied.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

D/B contains the notes D F# A B

Bm7 contains the notes B D F# A

You'll note they are quite similar. smile

Just play a Bm7.

Baldguitardude wrote:

D/B contains the notes D F# A B

Bm7 contains the notes B D F# A

You'll note they are quite similar. smile

Just play a Bm7.

Now there's some advice!!!!!!! Sometimes good enough is good enough!! Thanks BGD. That advice keeps it fun...it's supposed to be fun.....  smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I don't think a substitution is gonna sound right  in this song. The song needs the leading bass notes and similar to songs like "Needle and the Damage Done" they just don't sound right without the Bass notes over the chord.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Ms. HannaBeth, if your thumb is effective on the fifth string, then use it.
I roll my thumb over the sixth string to make F and every chord above.
It is a practical alternative to a six string barre with your index finger and alleviates cramping in a long song ("Dock of the Bay" for example).
However as Zurf and Wlbaye advised, your pinky finger is often available  to help out on many chords. Using the pinky strengthens it and gives you some real help where all other fingers are commited.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

9 (edited by HannahBeth 2011-11-06 01:41:43)

Lol! Will have to see if Bm7 works, and also try the middle finger thing. My hands are small to begin with and my pinkys quite stubby and weak, but I have been using it for the C#. I agree that you need the bassy sounding note because you should hear a clear step down. Thanks for all the help guys will play with it some more and see how it goes smile

All You Need is Love smile

@Wayne, A 2nd fret bm7 uses identical notes in identical position to D/b

D/b
0 or x

Bm7
4 (f# which is the 3rd of a D)

Will work perfectly. I do it all the time.

BGD, that is genius! Great advice

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live