Topic: Stubborn as a Mule

I am fast approaching the end of the third year of my guitar-playing quest. It has been fun, rewarding, and a source of joy in my life but, as I’ve previously mentioned, I find myself in a rut. And although it is seductive and deliciously fun it is still a rut and I must escape. If you are thinking this stubborn old mule is considering guitar lessons you are right sir (or ma’m). I have some talent but apparently not enough to succeed without help or a lot more time. I just turned 48 so the clock is ticking.

I ask for one suggestion or piece of advice each on how I find/select an instructor/teacher. Thanks in advance for your support. I hope to qualify for one of Zurf’s Jam-Fests some day.
dj

Re: Stubborn as a Mule

Your driver's license qualifies you, sir. 

If your business travels ever bring you to the Washington, DC area please get in touch with me and let me know.  We'll figure something out, even if it has us jamming in a hotel lobby. 

Lessons will help.  As a minimum, it will introduce you to new ways of thinking about old problems. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Do you ever play with others?? I took a few lessons (4) after I'd been playing about 6 months just to make sure I wasn't developing any bad habits and they were helpful but not that much so... I've learned sooo much more by playing with friends and fellow pickers.  Especially if they're more advanced and are pushing you to keep up but even playing with absolute beginners is helpful and gives you a sense of accomplishment to be able to show what you've learned.

You know I'm between you and the jam... You're welcome to drive here and ride the rest of the way with me smile  Come a day or two early and we'll hang out, do some fishing/paddling, and of course plenty of picking!  I plan to attend this year especially after last year smile I showed late and didn,t participate the first night and then left early the next day because the wife was feeling bad due to a bad sunburn from our 12 mile paddle..  I only got to play one song right before leaving and wasn't prepared for it and forgot the lyrics..lol   So I need some redemption smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Here ya go DJ, this came up a while back:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18128

I too just hit my 3rd year of playing. I can identify with where your at. I wouldn't say rut, but I hear ya. I have been thinking about starting at the beginning with Justinguitar.com and following his vid lessons all the way thru. i just need to find more time to spend with my 'tars.

Let us know how it goes.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had that idea too zguitar, but then I just get to playing songs and not really practicing and that puts a smile on my face - and for another night that's good enough for me.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hey Pix - stop in Richmond on your way up 95 and go to Bass Pro Shops to get Billie a flats shirt.  Those things are awesome.  Full length sleeves, but still cool and comfortable even in 90+ degrees, and they keep the sun off.  If you remember the light blue long-sleeved shirt I was wearing at the jam - that's what I'm talking about.  I wear one every time I'm on the river, even when it's 100 degrees.  I've had too many burns like Billie had and don't want any more.  Then a wide brimmed had to keep the sun off her face and neck and especially ears (but she's got hair so I guess that's not a problem for her).  They've got those at BPS too.  I wear long pants too usually of that same lightweight sun fabric, and I still stay cool and comfortable on the river.  If I get too hot, I just splash myself and the evaporation cools me better than not wearing a shirt. 

- Zurf