Topic: How do you play Esus2E?

I'm trying to learn how to play this song, but I can't find a picture of this "Esus2E"...
I saw pictures of Esus and Esus2 and Esus4, but "Esus2E"... HELP smile

Re: How do you play Esus2E?

Hi

What song are you learning and where abouts are you on the fretboard? I'm not familiar with the chord (in fact I've never heard of it! not that that means much, I guess) but I'll hazard a guess that you'll need to include the E (1st string 12th fret, if you are playing at the 7th or 9th fret. If you are at the 2nd fret tho.....) All I can say is good f..king luck:) it looks like a cumbersome stretch.

Alec

ps I have just taken a look on the net and I think that you've got a chord that someone/artist has made up (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. All power to 'em. That would explain it not being a particularly well recognised chord.)

Hi Alec

I don't think that it's a 'made up' chord, it 's right here, on Chordie smile
I'm trying to learn "Have you ever really loved a woman", Bryan Adams. I used the chords that are given here on Chordie, and the song sounds really great, except on the part when I reach the "Esus2E" part.

You can see if you open the chords of "Have you..." and transpose the original chords +2 semitones (which is more appropriate for my singing). Nevertheless, even if you don't transpose the chords, I still have the same problem, but now with the "Dsus2D" chord given. Aaaaargh... smile

Guys,

The sus (suspended) chords are basically removing a note from the chord.  For instance, Dsus2 means to suspend the #2 note (ie removing the middle finger from the high E string).  There are only 2 suspended methods (that I know of.)  There are Sus2 and Sus4. 

Hope this helps!

5 (edited by igor_ivanovski85 2007-05-13 12:29:33)

I realised what was the problem, it was a technical error. I was supposed to play Esus2, then E, not "Esus2E", but the 2 chords were written together. Nevertheless, THANK YOU ALL for the help, really apreciate it.

P.S. Moderators, you can kill this topic now.

Hi Igor_Ivanovski85,

Reading through this thread I do not think it should be removed. There is a valuable lesson to be learnt here and it is something that any of us, however experienced, could fall foul to.

Thank you for raising the query and for the explanation.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

True, true...
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Kahuna wrote:

Guys,

The sus (suspended) chords are basically removing a note from the chord.  For instance, Dsus2 means to suspend the #2 note (ie removing the middle finger from the high E string).  There are only 2 suspended methods (that I know of.)  There are Sus2 and Sus4. 

Hope this helps!

This is inaccurate.  Sus doesn't mean suspended, it means sustained.  You do suspend the 3rd, but you replace it with whatever the sustained note is.

So Esus2:

E major chord is E G# B

E major scale is E F# G# A B C# D

So F# is the 2nd of E, and is the not that will replace G#.

Esus2:  E F# B

The point of sustained chords is that the sustained note is usually the root of the next chord that is played.  sus4 chords are much more common for this, as the 4th of most scales resolves nicely to the root.  Try adding a G to the next open D you play by dropping your pinky on the third fret  That's Dsus4.  Then play G.  You'll hear how the sustained note adds a little oomph to the resolution to G.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

SUS does indeed mean suspended. It does NOT mean sustained. The third is removed and either the second or the fourth is added. These usually resolve to their own major, i.e. Asus4 to Amajor.