Topic: 1 GSD = 2 GOD

I was recently talking to another guitar player at work and we were discussing GAS.  He has several nice axes which he slowly acquired by buying instruments off ebay and keeping them if he liked them or selling them for just a little more than what he paid until he had the money to get the guitar he really wanted.  Along the way he had fun playing a lot different guitars.  So I got the idea to try it myself, resulting in one guitar being sold yesterday and then ordering two more today (1 GSD = 2 GOD).

I sold my mahogany Martin on Craigslist to acquire funds for a rosewood model.  I've been wondering if a wider neck might be easier to play for my big hands. I've played a few wider necks at music stores and liked the feel but I'm not really sure about playing for hours at a time. I've been reading rave reviews on other sites about the Recording King slot-heads with wider necks.  Anyway, I ordered an ROS-16 today.  Its mahogany, but I got it cheap enough that it will allow me to experiment with the wider string spacing without investing a fortune only to find out I really don't prefer it.  If the RK works out, then I'll have a good cheap campfire guitar, if not I'll try to pass it on.  Then I was checking the newest posts on ebay and saw a two month old rosewood Breedlove Retro OMRe listed at a "buy now" price at just more then half of the current street price of a new one.  The listing was less than 5 minutes old but I couldn't help myself and hit the button. It has the same string width of the Martin I just sold so it may stay in the collection or move on depending on my nut width experiment.

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for his new toys.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: 1 GSD = 2 GOD

Dirty Ed,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the RK ROS-16, or any RK for that matter. Yes, imported - made in China - but the label also says "Designed in the U.S.A.". I've owned two RKs and played several more over the last three years. They are high quality instruments. Why just today I looked an ROM-06, an RO-10, and an ROS-06. I could have purchased any or all and been very happy. Currently I own an RP-06 which is a slot-head, 12-fret, )-sized guitar. I love it.

Keep us posted on your GAS exploits. By the way I buy/sell all the time keeping the ones I like. Currently I am at two (which is a low number for me): A Seagull S6 and the aforementioned RK.

Have fun and GET BACK TO PLAYING!
dj

naolslager wrote:

Dirty Ed,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the RK ROS-16, or any RK for that matter. Yes, imported - made in China - but the label also says "Designed in the U.S.A.". I've owned two RKs and played several more over the last three years. They are high quality instruments. Why just today I looked an ROM-06, an RO-10, and an ROS-06. I could have purchased any or all and been very happy. Currently I own an RP-06 which is a slot-head, 12-fret, )-sized guitar. I love it.

Keep us posted on your GAS exploits. By the way I buy/sell all the time keeping the ones I like. Currently I am at two (which is a low number for me): A Seagull S6 and the aforementioned RK.

Have fun and GET BACK TO PLAYING!
dj

I've never played an RK before but if the quality is anything close to my Chinese-made Blueridge, I'll be happy. 

Besides the Blueridge I've also got an Ibanez and Johnson to keep me busy until the two new axes arrive, so there'll be no break in my playing.  The Johnson and Ibanez will eventually be donated to the Foothills Folk Society, a local group dedicated to preserving local music and providing instruments and lessons to poor Appalachian kids in our area.

DE

Well, the 2 GOD (2 guitars ordered day) has finally turned into a NGDX2 as the Recording King ROS-16 and the Breedlove Retro OM/ERe arrived this week.

The ROS arrived Monday and has really been a surprise. It's a replica of a 1902 Martin 000 slot-head and I couldn't believe the quality and detail in such a cheap guitar  I was impressed with the sound - right out of the box it sounded great and can only get better.  The wide neck (1-13/16 string spacing) really fits my big paws well and it has been a joy to play.  In fact I can hardly put the thing down. 

The Breedlove arrived Wednesday.  I'm always leery about buying instruments from ebay, but the seller was correct in his description.  The guitar is absolutely pristine without a mark on it or the case.  Its a spruce/rosewood combo like my Blueridge and has an on-board L.R Baggs pickup with a LR-TCV preamp which has a 3 band EQ and built-in tuner.  The guitar sounds just like my spruce/rosewood Blueridge and that's the problem.  Its like having two of the same guitar.  In my haste to buy it, I thought the string spacing was 1-3/4" but it's 1-11/16 just like my Blueridge and has the same shallow C slim neck.  Although it's a great guitar, I'm thinking about trying to sell it on Craig's List and look for a cedar/rosewood with 1-3/4" string spacing.

I've been invited to a bluegrass jam at a friend's house tomorrow evening.  I'm anxious to take the ROS-16 and see how it does. (Or should I say how I do with it ...........)

DE

They sounds great but a picture is worth a thousand words so guess what I am going to ask?

smile Can we have photos please? smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hello, I am a new subscriber & from I've read/seen on this site I feel that I have finally arrived at a place where I might be able to find what I have, up until now, failed to find. Has anyone here heard Boyce Avenue's cover of Rianna's "Under My Umbrella?"  This song has had over 9 million hits on utube & I have been trying to figure out the tuning that is being used. Can someone please help me? Much appreciated,     Rick

Roger Guppy wrote:

They sounds great but a picture is worth a thousand words so guess what I am going to ask?

smile Can we have photos please? smile

Roger

Sorry Roger, but I'm not much of a picture taker, other than an occasional shot of a nice fish I catch.

DE