Topic: Thumb and Picking Pattern?

Here's a nooby question for you more experienced players:

I'm starting to learn picking patterns and I have a question about the use of the thumb. I was watching a video by Fred Sokolow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bkPWq6 … re=related) about picking "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right," and the pattern he teaches is 5/2/3/1, in which the thumb alternates between the 5th and 3rd string, and the index and middle finger pick the 2nd and 1st string. However, I was under the impression that strings 1 - 3 (open E, B, G) should be picked by the ring, middle, and index fingers, respectively.

Is there a reason to use the thumb to pick the third string, or is this just a matter of personal style and/or preference? Do you get a different kind of sound if you are picking down with the thumb rather than up with the index finger?

I'd appreciate any additional advice you'd like to share about picking "Don't Think Twice."

Thanks!

Re: Thumb and Picking Pattern?

He is using the G string for the bass line and the thumb is plucking all the bass notes. That's the reason. wink

Here I am displaying my ignorance, but . . .  so is the 3rd string considered one of the bass notes? Is that all the time, or just in this song?  I thought the lower three strings (6, 5, 4) took care of that?

Hey,
I think what you have to realize is that picking is not a science, the idea of using the thumb to play the 4-6th string is the typical ,"classical" method. However, the rule (of thumb if you will) is whatever works, gives a good sound and is comfortable. I play with a lot of muscians and you see a great deal of different picking patterns. By the way, I took lessons with Fred, I'm a big fan, if he says it then it's right.
Good Luck

That works for me, mrmayor; I like flexibility of approach. I'm a fan of Fred's teaching, too. His soft-spoken, easy to follow instruction is great.

As I have said many times here, the way you do may be right or wrong according to hoyle, but the important thing is what's comfortable and easy for you. Just because you might do it differently doesn't make it wrong.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

No 1 Rule - If it sounds good, it is good!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Welcome to Chordie Mrmayor!!!!!

Pete and topdown nailed it. It may be easier for you to learn the way he's showing you in the vid because it's exact. It will be more difficult to watch him and change your fingering, if your're a beginner anway. I'll third it, do what works for you.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

All good advice.  But generally, thumb owns strings 4 5 6 and strings 1 2 3 belong to the other fingers for reasons said.  Bass notes with the thumb, etc.  T 1 T 2 or T 1 2 T 1 3 would be pick patterns that go well with this arrangement where T is your thumb.  If you watch even the most accomplished musicians you'll see there are many ways to make beautiful music in your own style.

This guy shows it pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJu1uz2RIE

Bgd says it all pretty simple,if you watch him a few times that is what he is doing most of the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

In the book I learned from (The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking by Mark Hanson), the thumb "owns" strings 4,5 &6... EXCEPT on chords with a 4th string root, like D and F, in which case, everything moves up one string.  On a D chord, the thumb will alternate on 3 &4 (or 5) and the index and middle will have strings 2 and 1 respectively.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I'd be hard pressed to disagree with Fred Sokolow on how to approach a song. 

Plus what dguyton said.  I move my thumb up for D chords.  I avoid F's.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Make it "your" music, play it in however you want and make it your own.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".