Topic: acoustic pic ups

hi , anyone got any good advice about a pick up to purchase for my acoustic guitar , id like a good quality one but havent got a clue as to what to buy , any suggestions would be welcome .

Re: acoustic pic ups

real unhappy with Dean Markley Pro Mag. Consider micing it....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

3 (edited by beamer 2011-11-12 03:12:32)

Basically, you need to just take your guitar to a shop and try a few different ones. 

I have a older version of the Pro Mag.  If you use it direct to amp, its lacking,,,,,HOWEVER...I decided to put my Compresser / sustainer in the chain and no problems at all! 
It acts as a boost for your pick up not to mention the benifits of controlable compression, out level and sustain.

I still would like to get a inline EQ also. this helps  a lot!  like the Dano. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … 3000000000

I mostly use the pro mag in my 12 string.  You might consider having one installed internally.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I had the Dean Markley back in the day when that was pretty much the only thing there was. Back then, it was invaluable. Now, there are better things to choose from. You can't beat the simplicity though. I still have it and use it on my old Guild now and then.  Lately there are many products that are more refined. The best are probably from L.R. Baggs and Fishman but these are the ones I know.  I haven't played with Sadowsky or other manufacturers so i can't speak for them.  The point is, there is a lot out there now to chose from.

Now available in 5G !

I have a dean markley and it has been pretty good,I very seldom use it though.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I use a John Pearse pickup, no preamp is required. Where you mount it on your geetar is up to you, different spots give different sounds so experiment. I use command adhesive strips to attach it, they are removable and don't damage the finish on my geetar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I  use  a  seymour duncan  single coil woody currently . Its  a  bit lacking  in gain but  if  you  use  a di  box  into  the  pa  its  fine  ,It  lacks  a  volume  control  but  a  vol  pedal  solves  that  problem.however   in  comparison to  my  ovation  with its   built in  peizo  the  sound  isnt  true  acoustic  but  has  a  slight  electric  feel   but  this  is  ok  as  some  of  the  songs we  do  in our  acoustic  set  benefit  from  this .My  resonator  has  an old  p90 stuck on with  double sided  tape and  it  sounds great

I am a nitwit when it comes to amplifying anything. Ive never played an electric out and always flinch when plugging in my acoustic. Sometimes, it has to be done though. Fingerstyle? I can say my fishman does the job quite well. Easy to install, slim and discreet. i think it was about 100 bucks. The tones are warm enough to cuddle with and the high end sounds like a bell choir. However, if you want accurate acoustic sound for a big gig and are using a pick, I suggest using an external instrument mic. Again, personal preference.