Topic: Guitarist "manicure"

As requested by Zurf (a while ago), I finally made a quick how-to for nail wraps and uploaded it to youtube.  I am hoping to get time to actually video tape it at some point, and be able to talk through an actual demonstration... but for now, here's a picture and text video to get you started. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XoDnpkPfFQ

There's no sound, so don't bother turning up your speakers.  One thing I didn't cover in the video is that you should push the cuticles back before doing this, but I'm hoping that you don't end up putting the wrap up quite that high on our nailbed.  Yes, these are my lovely hands and pictures were taken in a very fancy way (I used my chin to push down the shutter button on my camera).  Some pics are a bit blurry, but I hope you get the idea.  To practice, you might want to actually just steal some of your wife's nail polish and try painting your nails before hand, because it's imperative that you do not get the resin on your skin (a lot of women still can't quite handle this).  Just make sure she's got some polish remover laying around first (yes, paint thinner will work if necessary) or else you'll be walking into the drug store with your winter gloves on!  LOL!

PLEASE ask questions so that when I re-do this the video will help others out.  Heck, maybe I'll even talk my husband into being my nail model for the next one.  wink

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Guitarist "manicure"

That's terrific!  I look forward to watching the video.  I had my hair cut today, and the nail salon next door was empty.  I considered going in and getting them done.  Then I changed my mind.  I think instead what I will do is to bring my guitar with me and play Wreck of the Old 97 for them to see how abusive I am.  You warned me to find a shop where English is the primary language, but I honestly have not found one around here that is within a price I can afford to pay.  Those are attached to all day spas where a mani / pedi is just part of the process.   They're so expensive that wine is often complementary.  I think instead I will just put on a demonstration.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I wondered why any one would want to wrap their nails to play the guitar. I am a biter and for years have kept my nails short but never bit the nails so short that I did not have any white....Until I started playing. When I started playing I found that the first, middle and ring finger nails were coming off the nail bed. As most of you know it is painful until the nail bed heals. When the nail bed healed I would shorten the nail more and wait until it "delaminanted" again then shorten it again. They are now short enough (on my fretting hand, my strumming/picking hand has nails that are still "regular") that I can fret without them getting in the way and they no longer "delaminate" from the nail bed.

I can see, though, why one would want to strengthen the nails if one want so to have nice nails.

Nice informative video.

well, I am very abusive on my fingernails and they "peel" regularly especially on the ends (guitar playing, dish washing, hair washing/chemical procedures, and using my nails as tools!  LOL).  Wraps are great for pickers, because it will keep the nail from peeling to the point of becoming too weak and then breaking short.  If the wrap chips at all, you can just clean with alcohol and add a little more resin then spray.  If your fingernails are peeling on your fretting hand WHILE the nails are short, that would lead me to believe you may have a vitamin deficiency issue (or really chew the heck outta your nails too much).  It's much better to cut and file the nails than to bite them for the simple reason that ...

there are 100's of layers of nail, when you bite them you get a rough edge that can easily cause the flaking/peeling of layers therefore weakening the nail and eventually causing issues like bunbun described.

I know you guys aren't that interested in a "pretty" nail - but a healthy nail is important, and a strong nail is important for a pickers picking hand!  smile

ZURF - Let me know what you think when you get a chance to watch.  I'm sure an actual video would help.  As for the spa treatment... hmmmmmm... I must say that right about now a facial, dip in the hot tub, relaxing pedicure (FOOT RUB), and a nail wrap sounds like a wonderful way to spend some time.  I assure you, if you go to an Asian nail salon, they WILL be talking about you to each other in their native tounge.  They always do when there's a man in the nail salon... and they probably will have a difficult time understanding WHY you want the wraps.  There are also GEL nail wraps, which a lot of places do (and they might get confused and do this and charge you lots extra).  And then there's also acrylic overlays (just acrylic over your natural nail) You don't NEED gel, it's far more expensive, but it would serve the same purpose.  The wrap I described is the easiest to do on your own.  Ask grandma about fixing a broken nail with a tea bag... it's a similar idea!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.