Topic: Am I the only one...

With all of the posting about what you are playing now and what you are working on I can't help but notice that nobody seems to play any Hank Williams Jr. I was just wondering if there were any fans of Bocephus out there.

Re: Am I the only one...

I like Hank Sr better, but I do like Jr, but just haven't tried learning any.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-10-01 19:35:50)

I know and play "Country Boy Can Survive" smile I went through a country spell back in the late 80's and for a couple years there Bocephus was king! That's about all I listened too... Then ,I don't know, I just started getting into other styles of music and haven't really listened to much country in the last 20 years or so. That's the only country song I even know...  I wouldn't mind knowing more of his stuff and am going to go browse through it right now big_smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I love Hank the First and Hank the Third, but Hank the Second never did it for me. "New" country is really just "Old 80's hair music" dressed up in boots instead of bandannas.   There is a crop of youngsters out there that have gone way old school, and I like that a whole lot better.   Justin Townes Earl, Hank III, Zoe Muth, all under 30, and sound like they've been lost in the west for decades.

Hank III is playing in Seattle Monday night.  I may go see him.   I've seen JTE half a dozen times, and I discovered Zoe Muth when she opened for him.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like listening to Hank Jr, but I have no interest in playing like him. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Check out All in Alabama, he wrote that one after he fell off the mountain and nearly died. Eyes of Waylon is a great song, The Ballad of Hank Williams is funny, and check out Blues Man.

I have long had Hank Senior's "I'm So Lonesome I could Cry" in my fat book.
Such a pretty song.  I have always loved it.
I play senior's version to an older "corn Country" crowd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkztDzpTHKA
If the crowd looks younger, I do B.J.Thomas' version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra9eLLg_6uE
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

8 (edited by dino48 2011-10-02 02:17:37)

toots.good recording inside,terry bradshaw sure surprised me he has a good voice. BJ thomas Knocked it out of the ball park and then some, Very Moving!!!  I like alot of the hank jr songs but too me hank sr is the best. If you ever see his movie with George Hamilton I  think you will enjoy it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm a Bocephus fan, my favorite is, "Old Habits" followed by "young Country", I'm For Love, Country State Of Mind, and, I agree with Tubatooter, I like Sr's "Im So Lonesome I could Cry" I usually do at least one of these any time i play for friends or family. Having Said that I saw Jr in Concert back in the early 80s and he was awful that night, Liquor was involved, Im sure, I swore I would never go to see him again. and to this day I still would not.

I like the old country music - the new stuff not so much. The new stuff is not bad music now mind ya - It's just not my cup of tea.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

I like the old country music - the new stuff not so much. The new stuff is not bad music now mind ya - It's just not my cup of tea.

My feelings exactly

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

jerome.oneil wrote:

I love Hank the First and Hank the Third, but Hank the Second never did it for me. "New" country is really just "Old 80's hair music" dressed up in boots instead of bandannas.   There is a crop of youngsters out there that have gone way old school, and I like that a whole lot better.   Justin Townes Earl, Hank III, Zoe Muth, all under 30, and sound like they've been lost in the west for decades.

Hank III is playing in Seattle Monday night.  I may go see him.   I've seen JTE half a dozen times, and I discovered Zoe Muth when she opened for him.

Jr used to do the Hank Sr impersonation when he first started out, although he was not as good as III is at it. They both went their own direction in music, I don' think I would call Jr "new country" though. I did look up Justin Townes Earl and I do like him, he is better than hid dad. I don't like the metal stuff that III has done but he is talented at old school and outlaw country music.

Well guys,
   Check out All in Alabama, he wrote that one after
he fell off the mountain and nearly died. Eyes of
Waylon is a great song, The Ballad of Hank Williams
is funny, and check out Blues Man..

My Dad was a big Hank Williams fan, he use to sing lots of his songs so I was kinda raised on Hank. I also like Hank Jr and play several of his songs, one on my favorites is "I Got Rights" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtvEn3Cvho
I also like many other songs he does Blues Man, All in Alabama, and so on.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down