Topic: good songs to practice on the Acoustic????

Hi all, trying to build up my songbook, can anyone recommend any good tunes for me to practice on as a novice???? learning 'House of the rising sun" at present, which flows really well!!!! (well it sounds good to me!!!)

cheers

Re: good songs to practice on the Acoustic????

So many good songs. Take a look in the songbook section. Tons of ideas to be found.

As a novice I would recommend Stand By Me and Last Kiss.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with zguitar - check out the beginner songbooks in the public songbook section - there are tons of songs to attempt and enjoy!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

You ought to say what kind of music you like so we can tell what will work.  But in the end you'll want to collaborate with other guitarists at some point so there are some mainstays that will give you a chance to play along when you get that chance.

5 (edited by auxi 2011-11-23 03:48:52)

House of the Rising Sun is a great song to start with, Texan. You might also try When You Say Nothing at All - Alison Kraus. Simple, beautiful, well known and fun to sing along with. smile If I Die Young is fun too, and pretty well known. What style of guitar do you like to play? If you want the tabs for When You Say Nothing at All, I might still have 'em.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Take It Easy by the Eagles...

Thanks  all, my music taste is mostly rock, from Hendrix, Led Zep, REM to Artic monkeys. Early Elvis and Wayne Cochran

yes will check out the Beginners songbook and yes bunbun already on "taking it easy".

auxi wrote:

House of the Rising Sun is a great song to start with, Texan. You might also try When You Say Nothing at All - Alison Kraus. Simple, beautiful, well known and fun to sing along with. smile If I Die Young is fun too, and pretty well known. What style of guitar do you like to play? If you want the tabs for When You Say Nothing at All, I might still have 'em.

Hi Auxi,

style I play!!!!!, i'm still a beginner (don't ask how long i've been playing, probably years) and trying to develop. But lately really trying to learn. Mostly play the Acoustic with a Pick. i don't think I know 'If I die young' ? will have a listen.

Ta.

just found the beginners songbook, i didn't notice this before...... roll

Alot of Bob Dylan,credence clearwater,Neil Diamond Buddy holly and also alot of the Beatles tunes. you neen too search and see the songs. Waylon and Willie and the Eagles have alot too offer also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

How about whatever songs you like to listen to yourself.If they are too hard at the time,try them later.That way you will have them there for you.Some songs that are easier for some may be easy for others.Chordie and a printer are the best combination you can have.Be prepared to buy a three hole punch and a lot of three ring binders

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Texan, Chordie, a printer, hole punchers, notebooks and the great people on here are your best friends.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

One of my favourite learn to sing while you play songs is "Standing on a Rock" by Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Great tune, easy to play and bluesy enough for some improvisation.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

cameronkl7 wrote:

Texan, Chordie, a printer, hole punchers, notebooks and the great people on here are your best friends.

Cam

Dont forget to get some clear sheet protectors so your printouts will last!

Music stand, highlighters, metronome, sharpies, to name some that really come in handy. Tex, how about "Simple Man"?

Our intuitions serve us well

I'm also a beginner, a few months, but even though most of the songs I play are country, I am listing a few easy ones for you, Take your pick if you like, Easy to play, slow- so you can get them right and easy to sing along.

A Horse with No Name- 2 chords Em & D6/9 Look that one up, very easy two finger chords.
Let It Be and Yesterday by Beatles-fairly slow, and easy to strum. Simple 4 chords each
Lying Eyes-Also only 4 chords
Country easy, Help me make it through the night and Joleen-easy beat and simple strumming.
Good luck

If you're old enough to remember The Verve, The Drugs Don't Work and Lucky Man are both easy open chord songs. They go down well at parties too!

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

You like early Elvis you say.

Love Me Tender.

I play it using G A C D G for the verse, and G Em C D G - G A C D for the chorus.

My first song I learned was " rockin USA,  John Melencamp-    E  A  D  A  with an occosional B.
When I got brave,  I went to "Hey Joe"  It's works good on a accoustic, and you get to play a lot of chords and learn to change your shapes and keep in somewhat time..  And If wanta learn some Bar chords it works well there too.. it seemed to be the only way I could learn the fret board, and remember where stuff was.  it goes like this-  C  G  D A E,  Sme people use the E7,  I do not. 
FInally I learned " Sitting on the dock of the Bay"   You might as well get used to the B7 chord....It's used a lot in Music..
Did you see that I stayed away from the Dredded "F" chord?
Enjoy

I think "American Pie" is a great song for beginners to practice with... http://chordie.com/chord.pere/www.russe … canPie.cpm   
Lots of changes and it uses several chords but they're all open and easy. Starts off with just a single strum per chord making it easy to play at the start (could be played most of the way through that way if your just starting out) but as you progress the song begs for some creative strumming smile  Think I'll enjoy playing it right now wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Texan wrote:

Hi all, trying to build up my songbook, can anyone recommend any good tunes for me to practice on as a novice???? learning 'House of the rising sun" at present, which flows really well!!!! (well it sounds good to me!!!)
cheers

Hello fellow Texan,

A play mostly acoustic and here's a song list that I compiled for a recent jam night:

http://www.chordie.com/songbook.php?sel … did=257757

Enjoy...

scosio wrote:
Texan wrote:

cheers

Hello fellow Texan,

A play mostly acoustic and here's a song list that I compiled for a recent jam night:

Enjoy...

OUTSTANDING set list!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome, Texan, If you have House of the Risin' Sun down pat then you got a 2 for 1. Try playin' Amazing Grace to the same tune. Now learn to play Tulsa Time by Don Williams - then just change keys and play the same melody to Achy Breaky Heart.

There are more songs than can be counted that has the exact melody,  chord changes  and tempo that can be adapted to other songs with only a key change.

Nela

When I open scosios link it pulls up my Songbook.

SCOSIO...

Wow.. This is like my song book too!!  and charlie Robison was in there..  YAHOOOO!  anybody who knows charlie, knows good guitar music...
See ya at Gruene Hall..

scosio wrote:
Texan wrote:

cheers

Hello fellow Texan,

Enjoy...