Topic: Musician I know

Hi All!!!!

There is a guy that goes to the same church as me, his name is Tim Polen. He plays drums/percussion in the worship band and he is really good. Very energetic and an all around good guy. He leads worship sometimes too, I actually prefer him to our official worship leader.

Anyway, I had heard that he used to play with some famous bands but never thought anything of it. About a month ago we were both at a men's retreat and we get to talking. Turns out he was an actual musician for some well known bands. He toured a little with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, done some studio work with the Doobies Bros., Michael Mcdonald, Chaka Kahn, and filled in on some recordings with others that I can't think of right now. As far as I know he doesn't gig at all anymore. He still plays, (part of the 5 piece band at the retreat) but isn't doing it for a living anymore. I think it's cool to know someone that has been out there doing it before. Cool stuff huh?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Musician I know

It is pretty cool Z!  I met a guy at the local bar once that did the same thing - although out in Nashville, and I couldn't remember the names of the bands after meeting him, but the names were big ones.  Funny thing, he was just as humble as most of our chordians are.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

It is cool but they put their pants on one leg at a time just like us. The cool thing[to me] is that both of you are using your talents to a more positive end. I applaud you as much as him.JMHO

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Awesome Z. Just goes to show some people in the industry are humble. I admire those folks!

Our intuitions serve us well

Love it! I bet he can play!

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

He's a really cool guy. Always full of energy. I was in the same cabin as 4 of the 5 band members. After talking to them all the first night I told the band leader that I wanted to hear each of them do a quick solo. Tim' first response was "I can't solo." I immediately replied with a "Whatever!!" Then the leader kinda smirks and says "Yes he can he's just humble that's all." They didn't end up doing it. Wish they would have. A few years ago he headed up a children's show that was part of our Halloween event. It was him, and like 6 kids beating on pipes, trash can lids, buckets, and all sorts of other things. It was awesome. He is definitely an inspiration.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Z thats really cool too know a pro,or used too be pro.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I know a couple/few pros too who have done the touring band and studio band thing.  Some are still doing it.  Do you know what?  Of the two I know who have been in the touring band for Nashville headliners, each of them have stated a preference that they'd enjoy a little time off to come fishing and join in on a campfire jam with the likes of us.  When your hobby is your job, you have a fun job but you no longer have a hobby.  I learned that with photography. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Cool story, zguitar! I am also lucky enough to know a pro musician, and have sung and played guitar with her - the lovely Claire Hamill. She was first discovered at the age of 17, and touted as the English Joni Mitchell. If you check out her Wikipedia page you will see that, apart from her solo (singer/songwriter) stuff, she has worked with John Martyn, Procol Harum, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, King Crimson and Barclay James Harvest. One of her own songs "You Take My Breath Away" was recorded by Eva Cassidy. There is a lot of her music on Youtube as well. She also runs the choir that I sing in, so I see her every two weeks, which is always a treat - apart from being a great musician, she is such a warm, fun, caring and modest lady. OK, so I may have a little crush, possibly! I'm only human...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I have met some big names when I worked as a Bellman for a hotel in Asheville NC.  I took Jeff Keith (lead singer  of TESLA) to and from a laundry matt(free tickets and backstage pass for that!), I have met Warren Haynes, (he lives in Asheville NC), NOT a musician, but talked with Dom Delouise for about 15 min one night.

I am very good friends with a man named ALTON EDDINS.  he is a professional, never made it big, but has played with some big names. He also played Lead Guitar in theband that broke up to becme FIREHOUSE.  he plays about every night of the week with his bar band which has great talent. the bass player has played with all kinds of people!  the are called the sharkadellics.  "The band Al was in b4 was called MAXX WARRIOR.  look them up on youtube. its 80 metal but very good!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Super cool Beamer!!!

I am going to see Tesla in January. Was supposed to be last week but they had to reschedule to due sickness. I loved Firehouse back in the day. I'll check out Maxx Warrior.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Here ya go Z,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S2LLvA3Egk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA4tLxR2 … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuukt_a6 … re=related

there are a coupple more on the right side of the screen.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)