Re: What else are you good at?

I'm more of a jack of all trades kinda guy. I've always been able to do mechanical, electrical and plumbing repairs. I like woodworking projects and gardening. My favorite things to do are, hanging out with my wife and playing guitar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Did that for a while too.  Turns out I sucked at it, which is why I didn't mention it in a competency thread.  After a few shoulder resets and learning to take tape to spar sessions to tape up my broken fingers and toes, I decided the pleasure wasn't worth the pain and quit. 

- Zurf

I quit after the most part due to a shin fracture and dislocated toe. That hurt a lot. I still use the bag though.....

The first knuckles from my pinky and ring finger are pretty much flat from using the heavy bag so much.  I was always pretty fast, so I didn't use the speed bag much.  When sparring, I was just shy of 6'4" and weighed 155#.  So I was a rail and had a huge reach advantage over anyone in my weight class.  The problem was that if they got inside on me, they could use their low center of gravity to throw me any which way they chose.  So I learned speed, but didn't hit real hard.  Those stocky guys could outpunch me impact wise three to one, but I could hit them A LOT before they got in on me.  I didn't kick much, generally sticking to "scientific" boxing, but knew a few defensive kicks and a couple knockdowns.  I had a friend who was 5'4" that could take a hit and I never did beat him when sparring.  Two of them actually.  One went on to be a body guard and the other went to prison for murder, so I don't think there's any shame in losing to those guys.

I love getting hit. No matter how good of a day you've had, no matter how long you've been training, no matter what you or the other guy do for a living, how successful you are, etc,. when he lands a good one it reminds you that you're just a person. No more, no less. It's the great equalizer.

Have you ever seen that commercial with the guy sitting on the beach holding a Carona bottle sideways, and the sail boat in the ocean looks like it's floating right into the bottle? I've actually tried it, and come to find out I'm really good at it. Now if I can only find a way to make money with this new found talent !!!

jcellini wrote:

Have you ever seen that commercial with the guy sitting on the beach holding a Carona bottle sideways, and the sail boat in the ocean looks like it's floating right into the bottle? I've actually tried it, and come to find out I'm really good at it. Now if I can only find a way to make money with this new found talent !!!

The posibilities are endless, if you've got it down.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

jcellini wrote:

Me too, I think I've got the "knack"! I do also, fix stuff.  Don't think I let anyone work on my car or my house.  Maybe I'm just tight but I always just try to figure it out on my own.

Never tooting my own horn.

Every conversation used to involve "I" or "me" first and foremost but as time has shadowed this musicians' life, experiences has taught a valuable lesson and it is this; If one is good enough at something and worthy of praise, word will get out from others.

Given the aforementioned statement though there are exceptions. Certain things one might do in private such as hula-hooping, hop scotching, head-butting cast iron skillets, and imitating crow calls could possibly be something this poster might be "REALLY" good at demonstrating to nature.....

Shhhhhhh.....

Give everything but up.

32 (edited by bunbun 2011-11-02 04:29:14)

I am good at some stuff but I don't stand out in much but my work skills. I caught shoplifters for years and am still good at picking out the bad guys. All types. I, due to the aforementioned job, was a good interviewer (interrogation or questioning) and am able to spot a liar very well. I am a good paramedic.

I was good in the post in basketball until my back went bad. I was a fair rock climber until life got in the way. I can do rough woodwork but don't ask that it look pretty. It will be straight and done right it will just be rough. If I think of something to build I can do it as long as I have the materials.

I can drive cars and fire engines better than the average bear. I drive my wife crazy better than anyone. I found out I can hit a volleyball better than my daughters(Both of them play competitively). I have the lung capacity of an "Olympic swimmer" based on what I have been told by three physical fitness assessors.

I sit around real well if I can. I am best at that.

troubleshooting/repairing things (not people)
writing (although my posts may not bear this our)
photography
remembering trivia
editing OTHER people's writing - I can spot a misspelled word at four miles

and as only appropriate, lastly, I'm good at procrastination!

I grow, and have a photographic memory that has never been developed.

haha    badeye    cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

haha    badeye    cool

I gotta stop eating while I read these post's I almost chocked laughing at that badeye!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well, I'm a carpenter first and foremost and I can't seem to remodel my own house no matter how much I try. Call me up and ask if I can give you a hand remodeling your bathroom, kitchen, re-roof your house and I'm there. My wife still doesn't understand all this, more so neither do I. I built and help build more houses than you can shake a stick at and found out the geometry portion of high school math I wanted nothing to do with, pops up all the time when cutting roof rafters, who'd a thought??

I love to fish and help start a bass club in 1980 and have been a member ever since. My fishing as inspired me to make my own fishing lures; so I also whittle. I made my first lure from a piece of firewood I found at the beach. Once it was built, I went to our local lake just over the hill from my house, it worked better than I thought it would, so it hangs on my shelf next to the others I've built. At the county fair my wife and I entered our perspective items. She for crocheting, and won 1st place and a blue ribbon. I for whittling for a swimbait trout pattern, and won first place and a blue ribbon as well.

I love old guns and have only three but they're the most favorite. A Winchester Model 94 30-30 WCF built in 1896 with a 5 digit serial number tops the list, another Winchester Model 20 .410 single shot, yes there was a Model 20, only 20,000 were made, and one I bought for my wife, a Marlin 39A Golden Eagle .22 lever action. She can shoot too.

I'm currently writing a book, murder mystery genre. Everyone says "keep it up" but I think they're being kind. So I'll keep at it until I decide when it's done. I would love to have it published and see my name on a shelf with others I admire so much, we'll see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/bassguy2004/033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/bassguy2004/001-1.jpg

The pictures are the trout swimbait and my shop.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

dino48 wrote:
badeye wrote:

haha    badeye    cool

I gotta stop eating while I read these post's I almost chocked laughing at that badeye!

And the heimlick manuvere.    easy on those crumbs Dino, 

have a good one,,,   badeye   cool

one caper after another

Better than average carpenter and a fair mechanic. I do all my home renovations and most of the repairs on our aging vehicles.I'm also a pretty fair hand at tracking game during hunting season and a better than average marksman. I used to be quite a pool player but haven't had my stick out of it's case in more than five years so I've probably lost a step or two there. I've also been told that I sing pretty well but I'm not to sure of that

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Can run the heck out of a dozer, backhoe, excavator, loader, grader, forklift. If made of iron and has a motor
  I can probably beat it into submission. smile  Looks like some of us have the "handy man" trait, born of necessity
  to help pay the bills for me. Very good at reading honey do lists and making a fried egg sandwich. A favorite
  of hers to appease the "now where did I put that list" excuse.          mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Jerrybass wrote:

I built and help build more houses than you can shake a stick at and found out the geometry portion of high school math I wanted nothing to do with, pops up all the time when cutting roof rafters, who'd a thought??

Ain't that the truth.  One of the things I wish I could do over is to go back and pay attention in math.  I clearly remember thinking "Who needs this stuff?!"  Now I live in a world where quadratic equations, least square regressions,  and modular number systems are every day occurrences for me.

Thank Gawd for spreadsheets.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

mekidsmom wrote:

I have a 4 year old little girl that is high functioning autistic.  I've just recently begun delving into that "world" - from therapies and doctors, to the educational and health laws and regulations around this disability.  I think I've found a good place to put my "skills" to use in a way that will benefit me (my family) personally.

I've come to accept that working with children is my "calling". Being the very oldest out of four (with a 2 year, 7 year and 16 year gap) I was kind of catapulted in that direction, but have come to find it really inspiring and satisfying. I teach an afterschool class as my paid job, and am the "Assistant Children's Director" at my church (fancy title for a volunteer position lol). Recently I've found myself in charge of taking care of a boy diagnosed with high functioning autism, in a seperate class on sunday mornings. I've kind of fallen in love with the kid over the past couple of weeks and am looking forward to the learning experience. "Kid Stuff" keeps me pretty busy because I'm dedicated to coming up with cool and exciting activities for them, but I find time for guitar and a couple of other hobbies now and then smile

I'm pretty artistic in general, but drawing seems to be my niche'.  I have a thing for sharpies, fine point pens, and prismacolor art markers. I'm also really interested in collage work, but can't seem to get around to working on anything substantial, despite  huge collection of clippings and scrap materials. I flip flop between cutesy characters, illustration-esque pieces about fairies owls mysterious women etc., and abstract line work. I guess I'm pretty good at art, but I suffer from crippling self criticism and the completion of a piece is usually accompanied by a momentary high, then complete deflation of self confidence. I'm learning how to get past that!

I also collect "vynyl art toys", namely DUNNY's,  which is a really cool new medium. (You can check out kidrobot.com to get an idea.) What happens is they make one "blank" white figurine, then send it to different artists to "customize" (paint, scribble on, add clay things to etc.). They come up with some nifty stuff!

I love to read, so you can add book collecting to the list. I like to write too, but again the self criticism comes in and have always been embarassed to let anyone read anything I've written. (I'm such a silly one sometimes! Oy!)

I also have a thing for animated films, photo taking, hamsters, poetry, and hanging out on Chordie.com!

All You Need is Love smile

42 (edited by beamer 2011-11-04 08:40:30)

Well I seem rather Dull compared to this list.

I think what I would have to say that I do VERY WELL is to be a good friend.  sometimes to the point of where my wife wonders why I try so hard to keep up with some  of my less communitive friends.  I will admit that Facebook has made this much easier! 

I love to ride motorcycles.  TRIUMPH is my flavor of choice though I have had a Yamaha  and a Kawasaki. 

I really like to hang with family and friends and I must say that BEER is my choice of beverages. 

I think if it is summed up its like this (Wife and kids not in this list as I see it as a skills  hobby question)

I love guitars, even though Im a strugling 25 yr player, see greeting)
My Bike and traveling around with a few friends who share the same joy.
I like to goof off on my puter.
I call myself a BEER snob and a Coffee Snob.  Though I do consume abundant "Garage beers" IE -Bush, PBR.  My favorite Beers have to be Smithwicks and Shinerbock, With Henerys red tieing for 2nd.

I can maintain cars and bikes but not very confident at very involved stuff.  I am better at my bike than cars.

and I am a great friend.  ( I think and so ppl tell me)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Well Guys,
   "What else" implies that we are good at playing. I
can play, but proficient is not how I would label
myself.

Beamer - Have you ever tried brewing your own beer?  I did it a few times.  It's fun, but required more care to timing than my schedule and lifestyle permitted.  So I gave my brewing equipment away to a friend who wanted to try it.  Anyway, if you're a beer snob, there's no better way to indulge yourself than to start messing around with ingredients yourself to see how they all come together in a finished product. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Home brewing is great fun - I have a ton of gear for it, only get 3-4 brews out a year now though.

Wow, I used to do the home brew thing but, like Zurf, find it just too footery (as they say in Scotland), and threw the lot out. What about wine - anyone make their own wine?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Wow, I used to do the home brew thing but, like Zurf, find it just too footery (as they say in Scotland), and threw the lot out. What about wine - anyone make their own wine?

Pretty much everyone in my family does...  I come from a long line of bootleggers smile We still have shine stills on our farm.   (Shhhh...   don't tell anyone...lol)   Anyone up for some 1st run stumphole wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

1st run stumphole? Sounds like a good band name?:D

Our intuitions serve us well