Re: So who inspired you to play?

bootleger wrote:

Once again I'm dating myself, The outlaws song "green grass & high tides". Triple guitar attack, harmonizing leads, and down right tite playing. There are many other guitar players and bands but green grass & high tides is one jammim' song.

I once heard a Fla DJ refer to that song as "EVERY SOUTHERN ROCK SOLO IN ONE SONG" I agree it rocks, Got to see them once when they got back together for a short time. it was around 94 I think.  Lets not forget their version of ghost riders also!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

picklesandmayo12 wrote:

This is probably the stupidest reason to play guitar...

I was inspired by the movie "School of Rock". Yeah, its lame.

Not lame if it inspired you.  Its a good movie also.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

spad_dad wrote:

Tony Iommi, Hendrix, and KISS of all groups, don't laugh smile i started listening to them when i was 7 now 39 and still own cd's and they were the best concert i have ever seen.

Have seen KISS 3 times. 79, 96, 98  Hellofva grate time! ACE RUELS!

CaMacKid wrote:

Hello. This is my first post here. Anywoo..

When I was a Sophomore in HS. My friend started bringing his guitar to school sometimes. I thought it was really cool and all. Next year he started the school's guitar club and I would visit when I could. I got interested and I thought it could be easy even though I had no clue lol. I got to borrow my aunt's cheap acoustic. My church's music director helped me tune it and gave me a guitar book. I learned my first song, Ode To Joy. I eventually bought a beginner electric and I got to learn more with it. Oh and guitar isn't as easy as I thought XD. So I guess I was inspired by my friend.

I still use it with the same strings (they are wearing out bad!) I've been scared to change them because I worry I might not be about to get the bridge done right and I hear rumors of guitar necks snapping (!!!). It's a "Starcaster by Fender". Until I get a job and the money, I'll change my guitar.

I got into guitar a bit later then others(16) probably, but it's never too late I guess.

CHANGE YOUR STRINGS ONE AT A TIME.  FIND YOUR FRIEND AND HE WILL HELP YOU. I help anyone with minor stuff. spend 6 bucks on some GHS strings (low cost and Ive been using tehm for 24 yrs) you will probably want .090s  while changing strings, clean neck and frets.  how toos are all over the internet.   BE CAREFULL  SOME STUFF ON YOU TUBE IS NOT ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY!  Find a site for a luthier that has basic help hints.

105 (edited by beamer 2011-11-30 04:49:33)

I have to say from the very first time I heard it, My Neighbor playing her Ovation 12 string around the firepit across the street from our houses.  I had to learn,, Took me till I was 16 to really get rolling.  I also will say I knew ACE Frehley b4 I knew Hendrix. I also am a HUGE Towsend fan.  I think I wore out the grooves on WHO'S NEXT and SCOOP.  Hearing Pete, I never really cared about playing lead. He got so much power out of rythm.  Then of course  all the  others previously mentioned.

Without a doubt , Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, not the greatest guitarists but their music burned into my soul....

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

I started playing when the Beatles were 1st on Ed Sullivan Show! I was 13 yrs old

Jesus is Lord

well i guess it would have eric clapton and possible buddy holly

I wasn't inspired by anyone famous in the beginning, but by some local musician's who would gather at a little hole in the wall store near my home when I was a child. I'll never forget the impression it burned into my mind as it was the first time I had ever heard live music played.It was blue grass played around an old pot-bellied stove inside the store on a cold night. I was hooked from that moment on.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

110 (edited by bunbun 2011-12-22 06:10:22)

My daughter's rabbit...

When I was in the 7th grade I took a guitar class because my father played. My brother and I both received Cauehenga classical guitars for xmas and I used that in class. I could not barre well at all, became discouraged and stopped playing. I don't even know what happend to that guitar. since, I have always wanted to play but my experience in the 7th grade always came to mind and I would not do it.

Now for the bunny...Last August my daughter asked if we could adopt a rabbit. I said no and we got one (overruled by wifey). Daughter goes off to college a week later and we get a rabbit. We had to let the rabbit exercise so I would take it into the daughter's room and let it run around for about 45 mins or so. One night I was in with the bunny, bored, and spotted my daughter's guitar (the one she asked for for xmas a few years ago and never played much because "it hurt my fingers").

I picked it up and started playing. I went online and got some tabs (from here) and kept it going. Pretty soon I had my own Epi A/E and kept it up. Now I am hooked!

Wish I would have started a few decades sooner...